Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Redbrick

D5 intercooler replacement

17 posts in this topic

What a day. Very straight forward after watching Tim do the last one a few weeks ago.

Now running standard Volvo software for the trip to Austria in a few weeks, this max's out at 1.2 bar so no danager of splittage. When I get back the RICA map can go back on with a FMIC.

Here's the tear after running 1.5 bar:

DSCF5163.jpg

Heres a very basic 'how to'- thanks to Tim for showing me the way- this is not the way the Haynes manual says it should be done but it is very straight forward and far easier!

Get it in the air

1.jpg

Headlight wipers and black trim off

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Push plastic rivets out, remove bolts from bumper skin, release bumper screws from wheel arch

5.jpg

Disconnect fog light loom and remove bumper skin

8.jpg

Remove plastic under tray

6.jpg

Remove headlights after disconnecting all the plugs

12.jpg

16.jpg

Remove slam panel and twist to side as bonnet locks are still attached by cable

21.jpg

Remove bolt from each corner of rad pack, pull aircon forward, remove IC hoses. Wiggle IC out and up.

22.jpg

24.jpg

23.jpg

DSCF5164.jpg

Slide new IC in and reverse steps to put it all back together. Probably missed a few steps but its quite obvious when you're doing it.

The T5 intercooler does not have a hole for the D5 pressure sensor so Tim had this pipe made up to take the sensor and an Aquamist jet

26.jpg

Looking forward to the FMIC and more boost now :drive2:

This post has been promoted to an article

thats also the way i did mine it doesnt take long at all i thinki even left the headlights in

good job andy

Really good informative right up Andy I'm sure it will help other 'including me when I do my FMIC lol'

nice one andy

although i hope never to have to use it mellow.gif

What is it now... A Gallon of diesel and a FMIC please :lol:

What is it now... A Gallon of diesel and a FMIC please :lol:

Economy of D5 is measured in MPI (Miles per Intercooler) rather than MPG

V70D5 likes this

Ignore all of the negative comments Andy we know it's just a smoke screen..

Any more pics of the AC-radiator?

Mine's leaking and the ones I can find pics of on Ebay have a central input/output, whereas the leak is to the side (infra-red lamp-> tracing fluid seems to be on the lefthand side sitting IN the car). Yours clearly has a side-connection, so this may support my theory they simply screwed up when changing the engineblock and refitting all hoses.

BTW: thanks for this thread. Gives me confidence I may be able to do some maintenance there too :)

This is the pic I keep seeing and was therefor expecting in my car:

791a_2.JPG

Link to some one selling one (for months) incase the above pic disappears: Ebay Germany

Does this help?

13.jpg

22-1.jpg

17-1.jpg

Didn't really look at the aircon. Sorry.

Does this help?

13.jpg

Didn't really look at the aircon. Sorry.

Yes, it does help. Possibly the aircon condenser (?) I showed is from a Petrol version. :doh: Dunno, but yours definitely doesn't look anything like it.

The above pic shows a small cylinder attached to the side of the radiator, and that is pretty much the spot the leakage of the tracing-fluid appeared to be.

I guess I will have them drain the aircon (just to make sure, it's pretty empty anyway, but supposedly you have to have them drain it before fiddling with it) and then do the above procedure untill I can find if the connection of the tubing it to blame or if there is an actual crack.

Thanks and sorry for going off topic a little.

Whilst I have a P1 car, it is ME7 and similar to earlier P2s - Mine is petrol and my AC radiator/condenser/whatever it's called looks very similar if not identical to Andy's.

Andy - Where did you buy your ramps from? I've seen them before, and looked into buying a set, but I can't remember the site. I remember them being really expensive which put me off buying them before, but it'd be interesting to see what they offer now and if they've dropped in price at all.

Yes I'd be suprised if the petrols were different to the diesels as well. I got my intercooler from 'Readview' breakers- they are on this forum. Mine was still in the 'rad pack' so I'm sure they'd have the replacement bits R-P needs.

I've had a few PM's about the ramps so I might as well post the info up. They are from Restoration Ramps:

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/ramps?opendocument∂=3

Not cheap but I went halves with my FIL and anything that means I don't have to jack the brick up is a bonus in my eyes!

I think I solved the mystery: it is probably the evaporator that's in the dashboard that I linked the picture from.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

And since the AC shop said the 'sniffer' went berserk inside the car when filling it, I am likely to have a leak there too.

Seems like I may be in for a hot summer...:cry:

Edited by R-P

TTT

What a day. Very straight forward after watching Tim do the last one a few weeks ago.

Now running standard Volvo software for the trip to Austria in a few weeks, this max's out at 1.2 bar so no danager of splittage. When I get back the RICA map can go back on with a FMIC.

Here's the tear after running 1.5 bar:

DSCF5163.jpg

Heres a very basic 'how to'- thanks to Tim for showing me the way- this is not the way the Haynes manual says it should be done but it is very straight forward and far easier!

Get it in the air

1.jpg

Headlight wipers and black trim off

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Push plastic rivets out, remove bolts from bumper skin, release bumper screws from wheel arch

5.jpg

Disconnect fog light loom and remove bumper skin

8.jpg

Remove plastic under tray

6.jpg

Remove headlights after disconnecting all the plugs

12.jpg

16.jpg

Remove slam panel and twist to side as bonnet locks are still attached by cable

21.jpg

Remove bolt from each corner of rad pack, pull aircon forward, remove IC hoses. Wiggle IC out and up.

22.jpg

24.jpg

23.jpg

DSCF5164.jpg

Slide new IC in and reverse steps to put it all back together. Probably missed a few steps but its quite obvious when you're doing it.

The T5 intercooler does not have a hole for the D5 pressure sensor so Tim had this pipe made up to take the sensor and an Aquamist jet

26.jpg

Looking forward to the FMIC and more boost now http://forums.t5d5.org/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/drive2.gif

This post has been promoted to an article

When you say twist the slam panel out of the way did you just rest it behind the radiator as I can't see where it's gone after removal?

When you say twist the slam panel out of the way did you just rest it behind the radiator as I can't see where it's gone after removal?

Strange that! Here's another picture from the album. HTH

18.jpg

Strange that! Here's another picture from the album. HTH18.jpg

Perfect. Thanks for that.