Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
claymore

Scrapyard Dodger's next phase

532 posts in this topic

isnt the idea of twin charging so you can have a bigger turbo and use the supercharger at lower rpm then bypass the charge from the turbo directly to the inlet once boost biulds? which will boost more quickly as the engine is already being fed a forced charge

am i right in thinking your setup has both compressors blowing into the most forward intercooler?

what exactly are your trying to achieve? what is your goal for the project?

surely a modern turbo would be a better solution depending on your outright hp goal? as lag isnt really an issue in my expereince

fair play for doing something different im intrigued to hear more ive toy'd with the idea but would use a much larger a turbo

isnt the idea of twin charging so you can have a bigger turbo and use the supercharger at lower rpm then bypass the charge from the turbo directly to the inlet once boost biulds? which will boost more quickly as the engine is already being fed a forced charge

am i right in thinking your setup has both compressors blowing into the most forward intercooler?

what exactly are your trying to achieve? what is your goal for the project?

surely a modern turbo would be a better solution depending on your outright hp goal? as lag isnt really an issue in my expereince

fair play for doing something different im intrigued to hear more ive toy'd with the idea but would use a much larger a turbo

What I am doing is not "Twin Chargin" but "Compound chargin" so if I put 11psi from the tubo into the supercharger, the charger will then compress that 11psi giving me about 20psi, also at about 11 to 13psi, the turbo won't star blowing out hot air and will be able to maintain boost up to the end of the rev range. this is still just proof of concept at this stage. and everything can be returnd to standard. but I do have another engine and a big fu*k off turbo waiting in the wings, Plus I just love the sound of a Supercharger :crazy:

Edited by claymore
Axionknight likes this

Certainly looks interesting, I look forward to seeing the results and hearing the conclusion. One thing I noticed - have you drilled holes in the bonnet above the air cleaner? My knowledge of aerodynamics is limited but won't that suck air out through the bonnet rather than force air in? I have a vague recollection of reading that air moving laterally over a hole creates low pressure, though I might be wrong.

One thing I noticed - have you drilled holes in the bonnet above the air cleaner? My knowledge of aerodynamics is limited but won't that suck air out through the bonnet rather than force air in? I have a vague recollection of reading that air moving laterally over a hole creates low pressure, though I might be wrong.

I hope you are right, as the holes are to let out hot air, although they will be redundant now, I dont think people will like what will be hapening to the bonnet next week, but needs must.

scooby vent??? or pulsar perhaps?

look forward to hearing more have you considered a charge cooler from a celica gt4? the air to water cooler is top mounted and quite small and another water to air radiator would placed in front of the intercooler?

could gain you alot of room and wouldnt need a silly bonnet vent

do manufacturers use compound charging in the same way you plan to?

scooby vent??? or pulsar perhaps?

look forward to hearing more have you considered a charge cooler from a celica gt4? the air to water cooler is top mounted and quite small and another water to air radiator would placed in front of the intercooler?

could gain you alot of room and wouldnt need a silly bonnet vent

do manufacturers use compound charging in the same way you plan to?

I have thought about a charge cooler (and may well change to that in the future) that's the good thing about this project, ther's no rules,

I'v got a Pulsar vent on the way, but I hope to put it on backwards (I'll show you what I mean when the vent gets here)

I dont know of any manufacturers that use compound charging, but it's very common in Tractor pulling.

i know what you mean by the vent being backwards B)

keep the updates coming

Not much to see, I need a couple more silicone bits, then she should be running

I'm going to have a rethink on the bonnet, the pulsar vent just looks rediculous.

Heres a couple of picks of the Mounts, I'll take them off and tidy them up and give them a coat of paint once I'm sure they work ok

2011-01-16113546.jpg

2011-01-16113554.jpg

2011-01-16121935.jpg

And a quick tot up of the costs so far

Supercharger: £100

Noble intercooler: £42

Pulsar intercooler: £37

Saab 9-5 Oil cooler: £19

Silicone joiners: £81

Total so far: £279

was the super charger pulley already compatable with the volvo belt?

was the super charger pulley already compatable with the volvo belt?

Yea, they'r pretty standard.

sweet dude keep us updated should have some better weather soon

CHAV ALERT!!!!!!!

I might cut this down to about half its hight, any thoughts?

2011-01-17110501.jpg

2011-01-17110507.jpg

just cut a square out the bonnet will the interboiler poking out lol

just cut a square out the bonnet will the interboiler poking out lol

I'm very tempted to do just that.

obviously you have a plan claymore, good luck with it but at the moment that vent does look a bit nasty. obviously it'd be better colour coded and all that but i'd hate you to ruuin your car. is there nothing more subtle you could do?

could you not ditch the top mount and add water injection pikey stylee :D

obviously you have a plan claymore, good luck with it but at the moment that vent does look a bit nasty. obviously it'd be better colour coded and all that but i'd hate you to ruuin your car. is there nothing more subtle you could do?

I think it will be easyer for me to visualise when I'v cut the bonnet, but that pulsar one just looks nasty.

could you not ditch the top mount and add water injection pikey stylee :D

I'v got to cool the charge down to the supercharger or it will just cook it's bearings

inject before the supercharger and/or into the compressor housing

if your going to mount the intercooler on the top of the engine claymore then i'd suggest you have a rubber like round the doors to go round the edge of the intercooler to put a bit of a seal to try and keep water out and help air pass between the fins in the intercooler rather than round it, imo you really need some sort of cover from above to try and keep water off the engine under the intercooler as you dont want water getting round the plugs/in the plug wells, you might even be better with a rear facing vent as daft as it sounds but im not sure without looking at air pressures across the bonnet

HTH

if your going to mount the intercooler on the top of the engine claymore then i'd suggest you have a rubber like round the doors to go round the edge of the intercooler to put a bit of a seal to try and keep water out and help air pass between the fins in the intercooler rather than round it, imo you really need some sort of cover from above to try and keep water off the engine under the intercooler as you dont want water getting round the plugs/in the plug wells, you might even be better with a rear facing vent as daft as it sounds but im not sure without looking at air pressures across the bonnet

HTH

f'ing hell u ok mate?

lol i must be comin down with something shem, first talking about swappin to a t5 and not trying to tune the derv, and on about goin for an estate :P

alex