Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steveo82

fuel consumption when EML is on

6 posts in this topic

hi all, just wanted to know if the EML being on causes the car to use more fuel than normal?

got the old "emission system service" warning the other day and after doing only 33 miles after putting 20 or so litres in it its used alot according to the gauge :(

i really hope someone can confirm or negate if this happens because it was 33 miles of easy driving too :)

hi all, just wanted to know if the EML being on causes the car to use more fuel than normal?

got the old "emission system service" warning the other day and after doing only 33 miles after putting 20 or so litres in it its used alot according to the gauge :(

i really hope someone can confirm or negate if this happens because it was 33 miles of easy driving too :)

I do hope you are not saying that you used 20L of fuel over 33 miles of driving?

That's 7.5mpg :blink:

ha ha :)

Not yet i haven't but the gauge went up to in between the first and second white marks and its now touching the red square, im baffled :blink:

would rather the gauge is dodgy obviously but im getting worried its slurping it too fast robbie :no:

i'll run it as far as i can to see if the gauge is abit fussy or if indeed its in need of serious fixing :cry:

have you read codes, or are you planning to just take educated guesses?

could be an air leak on on FRP, MAF, O2 sensor..........................

That was part of the original lord B, i know what the cause of the EML being displayed is, my question is will it affect fuel usage with the light being on ie the ECU running safe tables to keep things working while there's a fault??

i can't either afford or have the car off the road at the moment to fix the issue so it will have to run like this for a while yet, so just wanted to know if im going to be burning it up quicker or if there is another issue that needs addressed :o

proper code read not done yet as per above reason :D

That was part of the original lord B, i know what the cause of the EML being displayed is, my question is will it affect fuel usage with the light being on ie the ECU running safe tables to keep things working while there's a fault??

i can't either afford or have the car off the road at the moment to fix the issue so it will have to run like this for a while yet, so just wanted to know if im going to be burning it up quicker or if there is another issue that needs addressed :o

proper code read not done yet as per above reason :D

All the EML states is that something has happened which now means that the vehicle no longer conforms to the emissions standards prescribed by the manufacturer. And yes, it is entirely possible that the engine is using vast quantities of fuel as a result of whatever has caused the EML to come on.