#1 JJ76

JJ76
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts
  • Car: C70 (Hardtop)
  • County: Kent
  • Town: dover

Posted 09 January 2011 - 19:12

Just solved my engine jerk problem by fitting genuine plugs (also fitted IPD TCV which I think is slower than the stock one?)

My new problem is that the alarm keeps going off intermittently now, I have removed coins from under the ashtray, is this an old volvo wives tail or can it really set the alarm off if you have metal objects in the tray? I am getting sick of this car to be honest, yes it is fast but the build quality is becoming questionable.

cheers

John

#2 Hammy

Hammy

Formerly Nunchukhamster

• Full Members
  • 5,285 posts
  • Car: Other Brand
  • County: Hampshire

Posted 09 January 2011 - 19:45

Yes, any metal items in the tray are a big no-no. Coins in the proper coinholder are fine.

On a C70 another favourite is the sensor in the boot lock. Does your boot open warning light work?

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.

#3 DSK

DSK
  • Full Members
  • 1,452 posts
  • County: Nottinghamshire

Posted 09 January 2011 - 20:03

I had this when I first got mine. I simply removed all metal items from the coin holder area, just keep everything in the main centre console now and never had an issue with the alarm for 6 years.

2000 Volvo C70 T5 Coupe Automatic ME7
470cc Injectors - Forge Piston Recirc Valve - OEM Strut Brace - Bilstein B4 - Eibach -20mm - Stack Boost Gauge - Projector Lamp Kit & HIDS4U 6000K - Ferodo DS2500 - Stack Boost Gauge

1998 Volvo S70R Automatic
Stage0++, MTE Stage 1 - OEM Strut Brace - Blue Injectors - Ferodo DS2500/RBF600, Stack Boost Gauge - Projector Lamp Kit & HIDS4U 6000K

1995 UK Toyota Supra TT - BPU
Uprated SMIC - Double de-cat - s/s cat back - Grade 7 NGK Plugs - Gizmo MSIBC Boost Controller - GReddy FCD - HIDS4U 6000K

Vauxhall Astra GTC 2.0 CDTI SRi 

Tim Williams 25/05/2011 - "Where's Ashok's big black thing?"

#4 foggyjames

foggyjames
  • Full Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • Car: V70 (Estate P2 05>)
  • County: Lincolnshire
  • Town: Lincoln

Posted 10 January 2011 - 23:19

It'll almost certainly be the backup battery in the sounder. A new unit is about £100 (maybe a bit less from FRF), or you can look into changing the battery if you're handy with a soldering iron...which is a much cheaper fix.

Never had direct experience of the coin issue with 4 P1s, but it's so widely reported that there must be something in it...!

cheers

James

#5 Exocet

Exocet
  • Full Members
  • 2,781 posts
  • County: Wales (South)
  • Town: Newport

Posted 10 January 2011 - 23:42

yes it is fast but the build quality is becoming questionable.

It's certainly not the build quality - These are very well made cars, and I'd hope so too at the best part of 40k new. More than likely it's years of neglect from previous owners, which is an affliction all second hand cars suffer from unfortunately.
Posted Image

#6 JJ76

JJ76
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts
  • County: Kent
  • Town: dover

Posted 11 January 2011 - 20:44

Took the coins out of the compartment under the stereo and havent had problems with the alarm since! weird lol :)

Build Quality - Come on, the suspension is creaky as hell in the morning but by some weird science eases off after an hour or so, I thought this car was known for its stock suspension problems?

IPD TCV - Maybe my car needs a remap but refitting a brand new volvo ock stTCV has restored what feels like 240BHP and I have driven both Astra VXR and Focus ST! lol

#7 V70Ben

V70Ben
  • Super Moderator
  • 6,485 posts
  • Interests:test

Posted 11 January 2011 - 20:51

Creaky suspension in the morning Sir - Suspension Top Mounts/Bearings gone :lol:
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair
-----------------------------------------------------------
I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own
-----------------------------------------------------------
If you've been affected by this, or any of the issues raised in this post/topic you can contact our helpline on: 0800 382 5633 (calls charged @ £25 per min, t&c apply)

#8 Exocet

Exocet
  • Full Members
  • 2,781 posts
  • County: Wales (South)
  • Town: Newport

Posted 12 January 2011 - 16:59

Again, not build quality, just worn out parts. I've not heard of any stock suspension issues. Mine still inspires confidence and feels very positive even after 100k.
Posted Image

#9 foggyjames

foggyjames
  • Full Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • Town: Lincoln

Posted 13 January 2011 - 20:51

I'd put the build quality on all our P1s* on a par with pretty much anything except an 80s Merc...

....* Except the C70, where the body and door fittings (seals, window mech, etc) just aren't as well put together. Apparently the bodies and/or doors aren't built straight, either, as a door swap on ours (i.e. for ones from another car) turned out to involve some hilarious re-shimming of the hinges. Maybe it's just a Friday car, but it seems a lot more 'hand made' than the others we've had.

Everything else on the car seems to be up to the usual standard, though.

cheers

James

#10 Hammy

Hammy

Formerly Nunchukhamster

• Full Members
  • 5,285 posts
  • Car: Other Brand
  • County: Hampshire

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:39

That's because the C70 doors ARE hand fitted.

They didn't come off the standard production Volvo P1 manufacturing line, they were built on their own line operated by TWR up until 2002 (always a good way to annoy T5R owners by pointing out that a C70 is the only true Volvo bult by TWR, rather than a standard 850 with bits bolted on. They always bite!).

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.

#11 XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO

XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO
  • Full Members
  • 2,293 posts
  • Car: V70 (Estate P2 99>)
  • County: Nottinghamshire
  • Town: Nottingham

Posted 19 January 2011 - 16:02

Took the coins out of the compartment under the stereo and havent had problems with the alarm since! weird lol :)

Build Quality - Come on, the suspension is creaky as hell in the morning but by some weird science eases off after an hour or so, I thought this car was known for its stock suspension problems?

IPD TCV - Maybe my car needs a remap but refitting a brand new volvo ock stTCV has restored what feels like 240BHP and I have driven both Astra VXR and Focus ST! lol

Did you read the instructions for the IPD TCV (BCS)

It has to be set up from scratch and you have to follow the instructions so as to set it right

I have one on my P2 V70 and boost was restored once it was set up and configured correctly

Cheers

stuart

2001 Explod running 17 " volvo orpheus alloys
Full black leather interior

S60 3 Spoke steering Wheel with cruise and stereo controls
2005 spec front and rear lights inc twin rear fog light conversion
Volvo HU - 803 Dolby pro-logic ice setup
Retro fitted front fog lights

Retro fitted reverse parking sensors (Genuine Volvo system)

Dual Exit Cat-back Exhaust System

2005 Facelift Front Bumper with washer jets

Currently being refurbished  (And in a new colour scheme to boot)

S80 2.5 TDI New turbo fitted and jobs a good un

2694148320.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users