The Flying Moose
  • Full Members
  • 180 posts
  • Car: 855 (Estate 850)
  • County: Norfolk
  • Town: Near Greg!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 20:53

Hi All,

I appreciate this is a common question as I have done alot of searching around the topic.

The car in question is a 2002 S60 D5 with 145k on the clock.

The Problem:

Well whenever accelerating or when the engine is under load the car is chuffing smoke out the rear exhaust, upon harsh acceleration it is clear that there is black smoke but when gently accelerating the smoke is much harder to determine whether it is black or not. The smoke on gentle acceleration whilst under load however is plooming and doesnt stop until you lift off the accelerator.

I have followed the guide I think Redbrick posted about cleaned the Plenum and given the car a service and used some injector cleaner in the last tank but to no avail or improvement.

I have heard some mention cleaning the EGR valve solves this... where abouts is it?

I have also been reading that the intercooler is probably the most suspect compononent, the intercooler certainly appears to have small oil deposits towards the bottom and when plugged into a code reader the fault code P0244 was produced which I believe is to do with the turbo wastegate?

My main question is that does this sound like the intercooler? The car still drives fine and there appears to be no obvious loss of power.

All advice appreciated.

Regards
Posted Image

#2 yosser

yosser
  • Full Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Car: S70 (Saloon)
  • County: Midlothian
  • Town: Edinburgh

Posted 27 March 2012 - 21:17

I have heard some mention cleaning the EGR valve solves this... where abouts is it?

If you've had the plenum mixer thingy off, do you recall a round hole that was exposed when the plenum was removed? Probably caked in soot? - the EGR is in there.

Sixth picture down on this page: http://forums.t5d5.o...mixer-cleaning/

I'm a recent convert to D5 ownership too - I have a 2002 V70 D5 with just shy of 230k on it. It smokes a little too, but I don't know whether to be concerned or not as there are no signs of any other problems, it goes like stink, and it's averaging over 50mpg Posted Image

Will be interesting to see how you get on, good luck.

t5d5sigpic2_zps1a4f4e87.jpg

#3 The Flying Moose

The Flying Moose
  • Full Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 21:24

Thanks Yosser, ill have a look at removing it tomorrow... I think its the last option prior ro intercooler change.

Whats confusing me is that surely if the intercooler was damaged/split then there would be signs of performance loss or an increased fuel consumption, the car however isnt displaying any of these symptoms.

That said if there were a vacuum leak from the intercooler and the air intake was increased would the fuel consumption drop due to the increased air over fuel mixture?
Posted Image

#4 yosser

yosser
  • Full Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 21:32

Whats confusing me is that surely if the intercooler was damaged/split then there would be signs of performance loss or an increased fuel consumption, the car however isnt displaying any of these symptoms.

I know what you mean. I'm looking for signs of intercooler failure on mine, as (going by the number of threads on the subject) it seems almost inevitable - but the car performs well as far as I can tell, no signs of performance drop off at all.

That said if there were a vacuum leak from the intercooler and the air intake was increased would the fuel consumption drop due to the increased air over fuel mixture?

Not sure TBH but black smoke generally equates to too much fuel, so could be injector issues, collapsing air intake hose, split IC or perhaps something else??

It's all very new to me, so I'm still on a pretty steep learnng curve here.

#5 The Flying Moose

The Flying Moose
  • Full Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 21:35

I appreciate your honestey. I have had all the IC pipes off and they all appear intact. The only suspect pipe is the pipe which joins the turbo to the plastic intercooler pipe which runs under the engine. As I am new also Im not sure if this is correct but it appears to be covered in some sort of wrap and you can crush it by hand.

Im guessing I need to get the bottom cover off and look for physical signs of intercooler warp or damage. Although an expensive component I would be happy if it is the IC as it will solve this otherwise embarrasing problem.
Posted Image

#6 GazT4R

GazT4R
  • Full Members
  • 7,484 posts
  • Interests:Volvo's
    Wife and family
    Is there time for anything else?
  • Car: S60 (Saloon P2 99>)
  • County: Wiltshire

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:51

Diesels never create vacuum.
Split IC will cause overfuelling.

Posted Image

'The greatest British inventions were built by men with flat caps in sheds' - James May
The Rica maps for the KKK cars is about the same as drilling a hole in the TCV to actuator hose but a lot more expensive. - Tim Williams

#7 Redbrick

Redbrick
  • Full Members
  • 3,864 posts
  • Interests:There is no replacement for displacement.
  • Car: V70 (Estate P2 99>)
  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Town: Yate

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:56

Mine used to smoke with a split intercooler. The fabric covered pipe you describe was split on mine where the jubilee clip cut into it. The pipe post air box connected to the cold side of the turbo goes squidgy and collapses, made of a rubber/silicone type material. Are you sure the air filter is clean, sorry not teaching you to suck eggs!
Posted Image

#8 The Flying Moose

The Flying Moose
  • Full Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 21:08

Mine used to smoke with a split intercooler. The fabric covered pipe you describe was split on mine where the jubilee clip cut into it. The pipe post air box connected to the cold side of the turbo goes squidgy and collapses, made of a rubber/silicone type material. Are you sure the air filter is clean, sorry not teaching you to suck eggs!

Dont worry about sucking eggs... sometimes the obvious is missed.

I decided to bite the bullet today and bought a new IC. The idea being its the most likely and most expensive component so if all still fails it wont harm having a new unit and everything else is cheaper...

The result after fitting... well its perfect!

Posted some pics in the project thread here: http://forums.t5d5.o...d5/#entry214052
Posted Image

#9 yosser

yosser
  • Full Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 21:31

Thanks for updating.

I don't think mine smokes as badly as yours by the sound of it, but I think I should probably give the IC a bit of a closer inspection just in case....

#10 The Flying Moose

The Flying Moose
  • Full Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 21:37

Thanks for updating.

I don't think mine smokes as badly as yours by the sound of it, but I think I should probably give the IC a bit of a closer inspection just in case....

No problem mate.

Its fairly easy to inspect, if you get it on axle stands and remove the under tray you will see for certain if its leaking or bowed. My IC has most of the visible oil leak at the bottom but the top under the black panel was the worst affected area.
Posted Image

#11 adam b

adam b
  • Full Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Car: Other Brand
  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Town: The Nam

Posted 28 March 2012 - 21:54

Although petrol my IC had burst but it wasn't at all obvious it had gone.

Glad its sorted :)
VW T4 transporter 2.4D
Peugeot 306 GTi 5 F2 rally/track car project

#12 yosser

yosser
  • Full Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 14:31

Once you've had a chance to put a few miles on the car, could you report back with how it drives relative to before?

I'm just curious that people seem to say there is no obvious drop off in performance even though the IC is split, surely it must be better without a boost leak Posted Image

#13 The Flying Moose

The Flying Moose
  • Full Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:50

Once you've had a chance to put a few miles on the car, could you report back with how it drives relative to before?

I'm just curious that people seem to say there is no obvious drop off in performance even though the IC is split, surely it must be better without a boost leak Posted Image

Well to answer your question....

After 600 miles of driving these past two days I am confident I can report on my findings.

Having had a D5 before I knew roughly how they should perform and therefore believed that mine was performing to an acceptable standard... after the new IC I can report this was not the case.

To begin with the car feels more frugal and almost "less lumpy" so to speak when accelerating through the gears. The best way I can describe it is that the engine feels much smoother.

Also the fuel economy has increased by a good percentage from an average of 47mpg with the fault to 53mpg now. I believe this to be accurate as my commuter journey is the same and the driving conditions are near identical each day.
Posted Image

#14 v70bfc

v70bfc
  • Full Members
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Everything Volvo, Burnley FC, the mrs and kids. Pet ducks, dogs, cats, fish and rabbits.
  • Car: V70 (Estate P1)
  • County: Lancashire
  • Town: Great Harwood

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:30

You must be happy with those fuel economy figures. My p2 V70 D5 has just hit 44 mpg average and it's a manual, and that's made me very happy. Your figs are more like those of the latest D3 engine.

Good result for Rovers the other night!
Proud to be a Claret and even prouder to be a Volvo driver.

#15 RobbieH

RobbieH
  • Full Members
  • 4,420 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, gadgets, holidays, skiing, keeping the barge in tidy order, sleeping......... I could go on.
  • Town: Salford

Posted 30 March 2012 - 17:11

Also the fuel economy has increased by a good percentage from an average of 47mpg with the fault to 53mpg now. I believe this to be accurate as my commuter journey is the same and the driving conditions are near identical each day.

You must be happy with those fuel economy figures. My p2 V70 D5 has just hit 44 mpg average and it's a manual, and that's made me very happy. Your figs are more like those of the latest D3 engine.

Have the figures been taken the lying OBC or tank to tank and manual calculation? I've found that my OBC overreads by about 3-4mpg over a steady run (like Manchester to the Alps and back).

siggyv2.gif

Don't let your age define you. It's a number, that's all.

Nasty D5 dieseasel with few twiddly bits from TWR, MTE, IPD and Eibach but 600 miles to a tank ain't to be sniffed at :-)

I would sooner watch Robbie cycling around on his push hog wearing his finest Lycra then attending a 1/4 strip....

#16 v70bfc

v70bfc
  • Full Members
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Everything Volvo, Burnley FC, the mrs and kids. Pet ducks, dogs, cats, fish and rabbits.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 18:03

My 44mpg is on the OBC, and I only reset it every 6 months. Last reset beginning of December. My driving is mainly motorway and upto 3,000 miles/month so I'm very happy with 44. I think the 'book' value is 41.5, so I'm nicely over that. What I have just sussed out, is that even after the pump has knocked off, I can easily get several more pounds worth in, which is helping on the miles per tank. I don't fill it so that it's overflowing on the first corner that I go round though, but it must be close.

#17 tingy

tingy
  • Full Members
  • 7,713 posts
  • Car: V70 (Estate P2 05>)
  • County: Hertfordshire
  • Town: watford

Posted 30 March 2012 - 18:55

16 posts and not one person taking the piss that the smog screen on acceleration is normal from a diseasel, this forums slipping :no:

Posted Image

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM!

#18 RobbieH

RobbieH
  • Full Members
  • 4,420 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, gadgets, holidays, skiing, keeping the barge in tidy order, sleeping......... I could go on.
  • Town: Salford

Posted 30 March 2012 - 19:03

16 posts and not one person taking the piss that the smog screen on acceleration is normal from a diseasel, this forums slipping Posted Image

mmmm, seductive the dark side is

Posted Image

siggyv2.gif

Don't let your age define you. It's a number, that's all.

Nasty D5 dieseasel with few twiddly bits from TWR, MTE, IPD and Eibach but 600 miles to a tank ain't to be sniffed at :-)

I would sooner watch Robbie cycling around on his push hog wearing his finest Lycra then attending a 1/4 strip....

#19 v70bfc

v70bfc
  • Full Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 19:12

16 posts and not one person taking the piss that the smog screen on acceleration is normal from a diseasel, this forums slipping Posted Image

I remember the days of the early Mondeo diesels, and I could easily make the car behind just vanish in a cloud of shite. Hardly notice a thing from my D5, although I have extremely deep tints!!

#20 tingy

tingy
  • Full Members
  • 7,713 posts
  • Car: V70 (Estate P2 05>)
  • County: Hertfordshire
  • Town: watford

Posted 30 March 2012 - 19:51

I remember the days of the early Mondeo diesels, and I could easily make the car behind just vanish in a cloud of shite. Hardly notice a thing from my D5, although I have extremely deep tints!!

if your D5 is a 2006 there wont be any smoke out the dack cuz o the DPF ;)

Posted Image

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users