Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yosser

Adding rear adjustment to handbrake

20 posts in this topic

The V70 D5 I have recently acquired had pretty poor handbrake function.

On inspection I could find no faults, but it was frustrating that there was no facility to adjust the rear shoes as there is on P1 cars.

I stumbled across this thread on VOC that suggeted there were parts available to retrofit adjustment to the rear shoes.

I ordered the parts from Rufe last week and have now fitted them. Fairly simple job, and the difference is amazing. The handbrake adjustment is now pretty much all taken up in the drums rather than at the lever, and the brake feels (and performs) far far better.

The parts are 17 & 18 in the diagram and the part numbers are 30793438 for the 'claw' and 30793437 for the 'adjusting link'. You need two of each. Total cost including postage was £23.42.

handbrakeadjusters.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

Lee[R AWD] likes this

Fuck me that is so simple it hasn't occured to me. Thank you.

Do parts 17 and 18 simply replace part 15?

Did you drill a hole in the hub so that you could turn the adjuster when the hub was in place as you can on a p1/850?

I have bitterly moaned about the shit P2 handbrakes, their poor performance and design. The lack of adjustment in the hub just adds insult to injury. I have fitted brand new volvo cables and brand new volve shoes and have used up 90% of the adjustment before any wear to the shoes!

Will read the Voc thread later. Thanks again for the heads up.

Do parts 17 and 18 simply replace part 15?

Yes.

Did you drill a hole in the hub so that you could turn the adjuster when the hub was in place as you can on a p1/850?

No, you can get access to the adjuster via one of the five handily provided holes already in the hub/disc wink.png

I have bitterly moaned about the shit P2 handbrakes, their poor performance and design. The lack of adjustment in the hub just adds insult to injury. I have fitted brand new volvo cables and brand new volve shoes and have used up 90% of the adjustment before any wear to the shoes!

Will read the Voc thread later. Thanks again for the heads up.

You're welcome.

I actually thought of you when I stumbled across this solution. I remember discussing the handbrake with you at Kielder some time back, and at that time you said there was no rear adjustment on P2 cars and that it wasn't satisfactory. It's only now that I have a P2 that I'm encountering the same problems.

For the outlay involved I figured it was worth trying before resorting to new cables. So far so good thumbsup.gif

Good find Nick, wanna do mine!? whistling.gif

Good find Nick, wanna do mine!? whistling.gif

No problem, any time - but I don't know if the R has the same rear setup, will have to check vadis/vida.

Had a quick check on Vadis and the parking brake internals look the same.

I'm happy to sort it for you, but it's a wee bit of a trek for quite a small job.

Not being pushy, but I'm going to order some parts from Rufe tomorrow - should I get these bits in stock for you? :D

I want it done but not sure when I can make it up bud so better hold off on parts until we know?

I'll get them on order soon since I'll be putting a full set of discs on soon.

The handbrakes are shite, never had one so bad.

This couldn't be more perfectly timed! The handbrake on my 2004 S60 D5 is terrible (the offside handbrake is practically non-existent). I fitted new cables at the weekend just gone thinking it was them but it's no better. My next plan was to replace the shoes since I thought they looked pretty low (although I not really sure how they'd wear unless they were seized on, which they haven't been since I've owned the car). I think I'll try this first.

I've never had a car with such a poor handbrake and this is coming from someone who has owned several '80s and early '90s VW Polos which are pretty well known for crap handbrakes! But then they are adjustable inside the drum.

I'll be ordering these parts tomorrow from FRF along with a tank sender seal that I also need.

Edited by Hayesey

If you take the disc off I'd ALWAYS replace the shoes. It is not worth the agro not doing it (double negative).

yeah having thought about it, I'm going to do both. Replace the shoes and fit these adjusters. I've never had any problem getting the discs off really, seems easy but perhaps that's because my shoes are worn and not as close to the inner of the drum as they should be!

have just ordered all these parts now. Went for the adjustment parts as above, shoe kit and new retaining springs (which were annoyingly expensive for what they are).

have just ordered all these parts now. Went for the adjustment parts as above, shoe kit and new retaining springs (which were annoyingly expensive for what they are).

On reflection I probably should have replaced the springs as well, it's probably worth it (as long as they aren't tooo expensive).

Hope the job goes ok for you and you get the results you're looking for.

Ordered these today. Got a near £400 pile of parts waiting at MRG now, should be fun at Tim's next week :).

The robbing bastards screw you over for the brake shoe retaining springs, take care when removing them and they should be reusable. They are about £5 per spring!

Having ordered all these bits and fitting them including new springs !!!

Was shocked how much they were !!!!!

The springs were more money then the new adjusters

But I knew my springs were shagged

But the results are brilliant

Will upload some pics I took when fitting them

Nottingham-20120403-00273.jpg

Nottingham-20120403-00275.jpg

Nottingham-20120403-00274.jpg

Nottingham-20120403-00272.jpg

Cheers Mikey.

Picked mine up yesterday morning, grand total of about £20 or so. Doing them Friday along with a myriad of other little jobs.

Was the rest of the parts that made me wince, full set of discs to start with although well priced for the size is still not pleasant when paying for them lol.gif.

Edited by GazT4R

Thanks for the pics Mikey. This stuff is great for future reference for folk as well.

yeah the springs were about £5 each. Which is a lot for what they are but then only £20 for piece of mind.

I have all these bits now but it's going to be a few weekends before I get round to fitting them. Thanks for posting those pics though, good to see it all together.