Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s70t5chris

Let the fun (spending!) begin!

405 posts in this topic

Never actually done a proper project thread before on any of the cars, so this will be a first!

As far as I know, this is the only White 855R Manual that Volvo sold in the UK, so when Cherry (on VPC) put it up for sale, I had to have it!!

She's rough round the edges, but a nice project to get my teeth (Read: Tim's teeth!!) stuck into.

Mechanically it all seems pretty well up together, goes as it should, no nasty knocks or bangs. It just need a new throttle cable (possibly the stiffest accelerator pedal I've ever felt!), a thermostat and handbrake shoes. They'll be the first little jobs just to make it easier to live with daily.

Cosmetics need work! Interior is pretty decent, apart from the drivers seat, which could do with being replaced ideally (anyone got a black 850R seat for sale?!!). The rest is all in good nick. Exterior wise; The paintwork is incredibly flat. A weekend of detailing would probably bring most of it back to it's former glory. But there's rust coming through on the tailgate and rear drivers side door. The lacquer has gone on the bonnet, so that need a respray, as do both the bumpers. I may just end up respraying the whole thing.

As much as I like Tritons, the wheels have to go, and i've already got a set of Volans lined up. 

Mod wise, it's got a few already - Rica 304, OBX catback, Walbro Fuel pump, blue injectors, carbon airfilter box thingy, Electronic boost controller. It drives as it should, pulls well & brakes well. But once I've made my mind up which way to go, i'd imagine most of those bits will be gone.

Crap pics, sorry. It was getting dark when I took them earlier:

7rgf.jpg

8zv9.jpg

7sny.jpg

Not sure where to go first - Mechanics or cosmetics? Technically it runs good, so the mechanics could wait until it's looking right. Although, doing the mechanics first would mean Tim wouldn't have to be too careful when working on it.

On where to go with the mods/tuning; at first I was going to just restore it to a mint original example, but I don't think i'll be able to help myself, so the chances are it'll end up with some hefty mods but we'll see.

I've got to say, it feels good to be back in a P1. As fantastic as the S60R is, all you P2 guys have no idea what you're missing!! Let the fun begin!

Sourced a V70 tailgate, door handles and roof rails. And a set of Volans courtesy of Shem. Just need a drivers side rear door, and exterior door moulding for the drivers door.

The car is having a thermostat, throttle cable and handbrake shoes on Friday too, just to sort those irritating niggles out.

I think the first job will be to sort all the suspension out. Decided on going with BC 'BR Series' coilovers. I had them on the S70, they work very well, and are still sensible enough for daily use. Fully adjustable height and damping, and they come with all brand new top mounts, of which the fronts are camber adjustable, so for around £700 they're a bargain. IPD anti roll bars, poly bushes etc etc. Hopefully get that done in the next couple of weeks.

In the mean time, I think the plan with the body work is to mop the whole car and see where I'm at with the paint work. The bonnet, (new) tailgate, (new) door and both bumpers need spraying for sure. The rest of the bodywork is straight, and rust free, so if after a machine polish it comes back to former glory (which myself and my bodyshop guy think it will), then happy days, no need for a full respray.

I picked up a set of Volans on Thursday! So much happier with them on! In really nice condition too, so won't need to refurb them!

tz9x.jpg

Also picked up a V70 tailgate, V70 roof rails, a decent rear drivers side door, new piece of exterior trim for drivers door, a load cover, an ME7 manifold and a Tim Williams ported Throttle body. So starting a nice little collection of bits now!

I also got hold of a mint condition wooden steering wheel, not to everyone's taste I'm sure, but I really like it. And it feels much nicer to drive with than the original steering wheel.

1d1q.jpg

So I'm on the look out for a t5r suede gearstick gator, and wooden gearknob. But I have a feeling I may have to buy these new from volvo. Should hear back from Rufe tomorrow with a price hopefully.

On Friday it had a new throttle cable and thermostat. The handbrake just needed adjusting, so that was a result! 

Had a good look underneath the car when it was on the ramps, and it all looks pretty clean, no rust or anything to worry about. The OBX catback isn't that old, but looks quite haggered, so I think that will be getting replaced when the downpipe does.

The only pisser is, it seems like the rear main seal is leaking, which is a bit of a pain. So I might jog the m59 on, and get an m56 and proper diff sooner rather than later.

One other thing to mention, since getting the throttle cable done on Friday it's only boosting to 0.8 bar. The EBC is still set the same, which before was delivering 1.25bar. And no matter what you set the ebc to, it still only boosts to 0.8bar. I've had a look under the bonnet but can't find anything obvious. 

Is there anything specifically that could have been messed up when the throttle cable was changed? Just seems like too much of a coincidence.

j87ajr likes this

I had a little google, and there is a wood dash trim that matches the steering wheel, so I may keep my eyes open for that.

Heard back from Rufe, the gear knob is £110! with a 20% discount. That's a bloody expensive knob! Can't get the suede t5r gator anymore.

Nice, always liked the 850 and tbh they're looking better as they age, to my eyes at least.

I like the tritons but I reckon 17s look best on the 850. Main question, which turbo will you end up putting on?

Ok, first off it had nothing to do with having the throttle cable replaced. It was just a coincidence. No matter how much I turned the EBC up, it would only boost to 0.8bar. So this morning on way to work, I switched the EBC off, and only got 0.3bar of boost, so 100% was looking at a boost leak somewhere, the EBC was having some effect.

The car has got an RIP kit on it, but its a proper collaboration of bits and bobs from here, there and everywhere (GWE kit on the way!)! 

I had another good nose around, and spotted this. This is the section of pipe that connects to the top outlet of the intercooler to the top pipe, slightly buried under the slam panel which made the split harder to find!:

6zf3.jpg

mxd1.jpg

Luckily I had one of these in one of my boxes of crap:

jh3s.jpg

Cut the wobbly johnson off it, and hey presto, we're back in business!

The current RIP kit won't be staying too long anyway, but I couldn't live with it the way it was. Standard boost is gutless!

The paintwork is absolutely dreadful, probably the worst I've ever seen. The plan was to machine polish it, at the bodyshop I use. But he's busy as hell, and won't be able to do it for a couple of weeks. Being an impatient sort I decided I'd have a go by hand.

The pictures are proper crap. But here is a before pics of the front wing, flat and gritty is how I'd describe it! The picture makes it look better than it really is!

nry8.jpg

Don't know whether, this would technically be the correct process, but they way I played it was, clay bar the panel, then use the Meguires 3 stage jobbys - Paint cleaner, Polish, then wax. 

7hfh.jpg

Hard work, I've spent over 2 hours, and managed to get the passenger front wing, and passenger side front door done! Again the picture is total ££££e, but the result is amazing. I'm so pleased with the outcome, I can't wait to get the rest of the car done, and get the bits that need painting done.

0t0q.jpg

0m1e.jpg

Nice, always liked the 850 and tbh they're looking better as they age, to my eyes at least.

I like the tritons but I reckon 17s look best on the 850. Main question, which turbo will you end up putting on?

Well...  Much to Tim's disgust I'm sure, not that he knows yet, but I am leaning toward getting another Owens 19t for it.  Which means forging the engine, which Tim is doing his best to convince me against doing! LOL!

I would like a good BBK in a few years so definatly get one of them fitted and 2 sets of nice team dynamics wheels that clear the calipers please :D

O yea nice motor will be a proper screamer if you go to the same level as you did ur s70 look forward to seeing it progress

P.S. If ur gonna get an m56 you may as well get an m66 ;)

Peacey's breaking a couple of late T5's ;)

Looking good buddy, you're right that steering wheel,  :Builder_OnTheSpot:  :ninja:

Chris, would you like me to change your username to S60CS70850T5&RChris. And i'm forgetting the old Volvo, 240? :D

The S60 is for cruising, the C70 is to burn the top of your head, the type r is for hooning and track days, whats the 850 for?

:shrug:  Carrying shit quickly?!

And why not??? Tim's got an 18T for sale I believe and if that doesn't float your boat then see how the new turbo he's been working on turns out?

Chris, would you like me to change your username to S60CS70850T5&RChris. And i'm forgetting the old Volvo, 240? :D

The S60 is for cruising, the C70 is to burn the top of your head, the type r is for hooning and track days, whats the 850 for?

absolutely  :pmsl:

its the classic part of the garage  

If you want to do a budget build then, oh crap I won't waste my breath.

I have a wood T5R knob.

Edited by Tim Williams

You know what I think I love 850's and look forward to seeing what you do to this?

The recipe is there and proven and as you know it all comes down to weather you have water injection and what turbo you use!

But you have a bloody nice platform there to start mate.

I have been spending on mine for some time lol and the only thing left is a Garret and some new bumpers and upholstery work! Lol

Enjoy the spending mate!

If you want to do a budget build then, oh crap I won't waste my breath.

I have a wood T5R knob.

1. "Budget builds" are, along with "Quick Builds", Father Christmas and the tooth fairy, a mere figment of ones imagination (and probably rightly so too!!)

2. No need to boast!

:P  :D

Edited by T5-Andy

Great, I'll have your knob then please tim x

Well it didn't take this thread long to degenerate into homosexual innuendo did it...I blame Tim!  :whistling: