Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shaunyb

t5 powered mx5?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all I've always been a fan of the t5 engine and as stated I'm thinking of powering it with a t5 unit, I'd probably pick a cheap 850 up as a sonar, I now they can be made to run rwd using a 960 gearbox, what I need to no what is needed to run the t5 outside of a Volvo(don't fancy changing the ful body loom) and also has the t5 been used in this sought off application in a non Volvo car before, I'm in the planning stage before buying a thing, and any help would be much appreciated

I looked at this conversion and thought better of it in the end due to the extra weight amongst other reasons, instead going to turbo charge the 1.6 engine with the Volvo 19T turbo :)

You wouldn't need the full body loom, just everything thats vital for the engine and the ecu of course.

Everyone turbos them , I've seen everything from Dover v8s to the jaguar v12 5.3 , it's the sound of the 5 for me lol

As far as I can remember, all you need is the ecu, engine loom , I think you only need about 6 wires. I will be getting my engine going soon so I will be able to tell you then.

Thanks pal if you would let me know that would be great, and also does anyone know what engine mounts bolt onto the t5 in an inline configuration

The 960 white block mounts fit onto the 5 cylinders. Some of the holes need drilling/tapping iirc.

A quick google search should show what needs doing with the sump but I've read many that have warped from welding them. A custom gasket may help if it does distort slightly and can't be milled flat.

Using bmw getrag gearboxes is quite popular with an adaptor plate

If your interested I have a running 2.3 T5 engine and gear box in a rolling chassis of an P2 S60 I'm stripping I will be done takeing the body panels I want off it soon and then I was going sell it as above let me know if your interested