Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Volvo-mad

What upgrades for '04 C70 Convertible?

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

A huge Volvo fan here from Ireland, have just registered and this is my first post.  As well as having a passion for the car manufacturer from Sweden, I also happen to work in a Volvo main dealer here in Ireland and have wide experience of the brand on a professional level.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase.  My opening post here involves a 2004 C70 2.0 LPT Collection that we have in stock under a unique circumstance.  It was a very low mileage trade-in that the dealer principal took a liking to and has invested money in, adorning it with a brand new set of Comets all round wearing fresh Pirelli's as well as a full bodywork detail.  Today I was chatting to him and the said car came up in discussion.  We were talking about the C70 in general and what a nice example ours was and how a few upgrades would turn it into a far better driving car.  He then stated that he would grant me carte blanche in putting together a list of aftermarket upgrades to improve performance and handling, such as strut brace, bushings, brakes and possibly a remap.  He said I do not have to worry about being extravagant and that he would like to see what is possible to make it more interesting.

Being all too aware of the aftermarket emphasis of this forum from a performance perspective, I thought I would post and tap the knowledge of this community to guide me on this rather exciting proposition and maybe point me in the direction of some popular upgrades that are worthwhile and from reputable manufacturers.  I thought about posting this in the 'Phase I' forum, but it seemed to be low on activity over the last few days.  I hope administrators do not mind.

Hello and welcome!

Tuning a low pressure turbo engine is not going to get you much in terms of performance at all!

All you could really do with it is fit a Down Pipe and exhaust system on it, From Don at Kalmar Union, and maybe some software but I do not know how little you will get from a remap?

Handling and brakes is what I would go for. Suspension could be done for a start? replace the shocks springs with New T5 Stuff the breaks could be upgradede with larger disks on the front as you have said replace the bushes all round with uprated ones or new? swap out the rear anti roll bar on the rear at least and fit a strut brace as you said all of this will improve the performance and breaking!

There may be some possible carbon fibre lips available from the USA as well?

Any pictures of the car? and what millage has it done?

Thanks Greg  

Hi Greg,

Here are a couple of pics from the stocklist:

http://pictures.autotrader.ie/imgser-ie/servlet/media?id=a1c5eb8a-e6b3-46d1-a937-cfc1b5d84838&defaultImageUrl=http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/images/no-image-large.gif

http://pictures.autotrader.ie/imgser-ie/servlet/media?id=682f5a61-4177-4683-91a9-048ab1f4e2ca&defaultImageUrl=http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/images/no-image-large.gif

http://pictures.autotrader.ie/imgser-ie/servlet/media?id=ccf1cd4a-d82a-4f95-80f5-85187632c36b&defaultImageUrl=http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/images/no-image-large.gif

http://pictures.autotrader.ie/imgser-ie/servlet/media?id=783c2230-2297-4c00-bb04-5cce83e5ddfd&defaultImageUrl=http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/images/no-image-large.gif

There is just under 35k miles on the car, so it is very fresh.

So the suspension could be upgraded with OEM parts from the T5 is what you're saying?  That's handy, as I'm sure it could all be ordered through the parts department that way.  Regarding discs, would bigger ones from the likes of the XC90 fit?  For the strut brace and bushings I'm guessing I would be going with the likes of iPd USA or some other aftermarket manufacturer. 

I like the idea of a carbon fibre lip!  Going to definitely look into that.

Looking at it in them pictures I would leave it as it is, it's just a really nice car as standard!

End of it for me I am Afraid.

Plus I am not sure what would fit to that model car to be honest?

I think Greg really came up with the best mod first.

Replace the exhaust. 

(At least the cat-back)

These cars make a wonderful sound, and the factory exhaust is just too muted. Having the top down and being able to hear that 5 cylinder sound as you plant your foot would make the biggest "upgrade" to the driving experience.

Then probably fit some stiffer bushes to it, and maybe sit it on some Eibach springs, just to give it a more purposeful stance.

I'd personally go for slightly darker wheels. I've seen some really nice effects with a transparent silver over black give a darker deeper look to the wheels.

Then maybe a subtle boot lip spoiler trim thingy. . . 

Im with greg refresh the worn bits suspension and bushes maybe a few tweeks remap, rear arb i quite like the R front bumpers maybe a catback for a nice exhaust note i think the c70s came with the 302 front discs as standard so just some decent pads all round ds2500 have had some good reviews but keep it as a nice std car being an open top its never gonna handle as well as a hard top and being a 2 litre lpt its never going to go as well as a T5

If your insistent on going mad

T5 engine conversion :P

Gripper diff

Coilovers

Carbotech pads

Full exhaust with DP

Larger intercooler

Larger maf - turbo pipe

Larger injectors

Remap for all of the above

Weld a roof onto it :lol:

Thatl get you going

Edit less diff action :P

LOL... You're keen on the diff.... 2 diffs in a C70 (What's your middle name? Claymore?)

In my eyes, soft tops aren't ever about "POWER" or track performance. It's about the wind in your hair, cruising, great sounding engine, and a sunny afternoon out on the country roads.

I absolutely don't get the mindset of anyone who buys a diesel soft top. It baffles me why anyone would want a rattly stinky engine on an open air motoring experience irrespective of performance.

:lol: its cuz its twice as good as any other upgrade :P

anything other than decent exhaust for the sound, and refreshing any worn suspension parts (but IIRC suspension was slightly stiffer on C70's as standard) is pointless as from a selling point will devalue car, and become a PITA to insure by general bloke on street, and person looking to buy a modified car is unlikely to want to pay dealer prices.

its a LPT so gains are small, why bother with remap etc.

OK, thanks for all these replies and second opinions, everyone.

My present thinking at this point in time is a genuine Volvo strut brace definitely, some Eibach springs and uprated bushings.  I totally agree that these cars sound marvellous and a cat back exhaust certainly does sound very appealing, so that's on the list too.

I was initially thinking of S60/V70 T5 brakes and pads, as research revealed they may possibly fit and it would be handy to get as many OEM parts as possible.

Probably the best stoppers on any Volvo I've owned were the 2005 onward police specification system with the genuine Volvo police pads. If you were to do any genuine Volvo brake upgrade that would be the one to have.

I'm not as impressed with the Brembo system on my 2006MY V70R as I was with the police spec system on my 2006MY V70 T5.

Probably the best stoppers on any Volvo I've owned were the 2005 onward police specification system with the genuine Volvo police pads. If you were to do any genuine Volvo brake upgrade that would be the one to have.

I'm not as impressed with the Brembo system on my 2006MY V70R as I was with the police spec system on my 2006MY V70 T5.

OK, thanks.  Will keep them in mind, although don't think police spec will be easily obtainable over this side of the water.

they are a genuine volvo part with a part number so dont see why they would be any more difficult to obtain then anything else

the hard part will be getting carriers made to fit them and if those wheels will clear them