yosser

2005 S60R

247 posts in this topic

If you hold the washers on for more than a second or so then it'll park. It's not *that* defective.

And I'll hold you to the 'defect free' bit.

In fact, anyone want to buy a certified 'defect free' s60r?

:D

So just how long will the 'Defect Free ' bit will last, time or miles....

So just how long will the 'Defect Free ' bit will last, time or miles....

I'm not sure. I pick the car up from Tim a week today and I'll check the warranty period then.

Frankly, if it remains defect free until I get back from Germany then I win.

I'm not sure. I pick the car up from Tim a week today and I'll check the warranty period then.

Nice, you coming straight down to Ashford I assume.  I'll probably get there around 7.

I'll give you bag of Monster munch, 2 curly wurleys & your bus fare home if you drop it off before Germany. However if the headlight wiper is a bit iffy I may have to reduce the offer by a curry wurly on account of the defects.

Think Tim's warranty with that particular S60R runs out at the end of his drive :)

Nice, you coming straight down to Ashford I assume.  I'll probably get there around 7.

Are you going to drive around aimlessly into middle earth with the hope of finding a traditional kentish eatery on Thursday Evening? 

Are you going to drive around aimlessly into middle earth with the hope of finding a traditional kentish eatery on Thursday Evening?

:lol: it was a nice pub but im sure we had actually left roads behind by the time we got there lol

:lol: it was a nice pub but im sure we had actually left roads behind by the time we got there lol

I need the double heart attack burger from there.

After last time I'll pass. Probably stick to the beefeater, once there I'd rather not have to drive again, that way we can all have some jars and some food without worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it's difficult for me to spin the pictures of the car up in the air in Belgium and Germany in a totally positive way but, technically, it did make it there and back under its own steam including a few laps of the 'ring in the middle.

Things started to look dodgy somewhere in Belgium when Nathan came alongside me waving frantically and shouting something about my car smoking. I carefully considered what to do and decided that ignoring it was the best option. Unknown to me, Nathan obviously thought this wasn't the best plan - probably because his car was being sprayed with oil - and he phoned Tim. A high speed swerve off the road into a lay-by followed. The result of the investigation was that an inordinate amount of gear oil had escaped and was dripping off the whole of the underside. Fortunately we couldn't smell it due to the even greater amount of piss on the ground.

With the gearbox oil level checked and the underside cleaned we continued to the hotel.

Long story short, the car was cleaned underneath and the gearbox level checked numerous times without the problem recurring. We were only ever cleaning small amounts of, probably residual, oil.

I'm at a bit of a loss for an explanation but it seems likely that the box was overfilled and it shat itself via the breather and/or elsewhere. I wonder who filled the gearbox up last, eh Tim?? :D

It's had a pretty thorough clean since coming back and is still showing a very slight sign of fluid loss. I'm just going to have to keep this under observation to establish if it is actually leaking.

Apart from that the car went really well for the whole trip, it behaved well enough on the 'ring for my ability.

Next step is to fit winter tyres and ponder whether to fit odysseus wheels next year......

Well on the upside the last time a car on route to a ring trip had to make an unschedualed stop sue to smoke and an oil leak it caught fire so ya know coulda been worse :)

How did it behave on its laps? Any vids?

Edited by tingy

I don't have any vids, no camera.

The car behaved well, good enough for me anyway. I have such poor track knowledge that I drive it fairly cautiously. Handling, brakes, grip are all fine for me.

I did my best lap with Ryan as a passenger. He also helped me piece it together a bit better and also pointed out how badly I thrash it and that I should be spending way less time as high up the rev range at I do.

There's no doubt that I need more development work than the car does.

More ring trips then its the only solution (and get a camera)

Hi Nick, hope you're well. 

Oddly, I must have been out there roughly the same time... just got back on Monday following a bit of a random detour en route back. 

Only did one lap... not only did I shit my pants at the euros they're charging but it was also raining about 4 degrees but still, when in Rome... not entirely sure what the Caymen driver plus the train of cars dawdling into Adenau thought when I got fed up and went on the offensive in a shat out old automatic estate complete with a weeks worth of luggage and a bemused missus on board but I can deduce that Vredestein Quatrac's seemed better suited to the conditions than whatever the rest of them were running. 

Have found myself looking at P2 V70R's... there's a lovely green one passes me most days... but this thread makes me nervous, very nervous! 

yosser likes this

Hi Dave, doing fine here thanks.

Don't be too scared of P2 R's, but they're a completely different proposition to P1's. Despite me hamming up the issues with the car a little it's actually been very reliable and it's a great car. I have spent a few quid on it but it's been preventative and proactive maintenance. Its a nice car and I'd like it to stay that way, far too many have made it into the hands of owners who can't, don't, or won't look after them properly.

V70Ben once said to me that there was no such thing as a cheap R. I'm inclined to agree......

Glad u and your car made it back alright mate hopefully see you next year.

Christ the smell in that layby was something else, when we found out the issue wasn't serious I couldn't get out quick enough.  Thinking about it, we were probably in the worst place to stop!  Next time perhaps we take a top gear stance with the 'your on your own mate'.

I jumped in the car with nick on the 3rd day, it had been rather wet but decided it was a good idea to lap in a car with DSTC before seeing how good R888R's were in the wet.  Surprisingly the track was mostly dry with a nice wide dry racing line, I was thoroughly impressed with the car, the exhaust was rather loud, but inside it isn't too obtrusive.  You will find that the more laps, especially if you can do lots in a short period will improve your track knowledge, video's help too so you can watch them back and see where you can improve, this is what I found to be the biggest advantage in track knowledge.

The brakes are just something else in a P2R, with Carbotech's to me felt like a confidence boost to any driver.  The only criticism I had was your love for second gear and not letting the revs fall below 4500-5000RPM. 3rd gear should have enough pull to get you out of the corners, or it seems to in other M66 cars I have been in.  It was a great lap though, surprisingly quiet so I went straight out after!

yosser likes this

glad to see you are still enjoying it! A nice insight into real R ownership

That's me ready for winter now!

I bought a set of 17" pegs from Andy a while back, I gave them a quick blow over in anthracite and fitted a set of continental winter tyres. I also took the opportunity to swap the brake pads back to standard rather than run carbotech over winter.

The car looks quite different with darker wheels, not sure which I prefer TBH. One shaky phone pic below.

post-534-0-33601700-1479833666_thumb.jpg

Redbrick likes this

Nice looking set for winters, nice ride on the 17" are your summers 18" ?.

Nice looking set for winters, nice ride on the 17" are your summers 18" ?.

Thanks, they look OK but don't bear too close an inspection. It really was a quick job with rattle cans from halfords.

My other wheels are 17" as well, although they have 235/45 tyres rather than the 225/45 of the winters.

I do have a set of 18" odysseus in the lockup that I'm undecided about. I'm sure they'd look good but they'd need a refurb, they'd need tyres, they'd need spacer adapters, and at the end of the day I like the pegs!

Not much to report lately on the R, it's not getting used much but it's going well. I'm pretty certain the gear oil leak has dried up, I think we can put that down to an overfill which - although I'm still blaming Tim - was pretty much my own fault. Tim's mistake was assuming I knew what I was doing....... :D

I'm just putting this out there, but if anyone is in the market for an S60R I would consider selling. I'm not going to give it away, but even at a decent price it would be a loss maker overall for me. Brand new angle gear last year for example...... 

The 'genuine reason for sale' is that it looks like I'm going to be racing this year and that's likely to take a fair bit of time and money, toys might have to take a back seat. 

Anyway, not a for sale ad per se, but if anyone fancies it then let me know. 

For sale thread here: