yosser

2005 S60R

250 posts in this topic

I had a oil leak on the front of mine, which turned out to be the dipstick tube to block seal which was found by Tim when he did the block mod & pcv. Been dry ever since.

I had a oil leak on the front of mine, which turned out to be the dipstick tube to block seal which was found by Tim when he did the block mod & pcv. Been dry ever since.

That's interesting, thanks. It could well be something like that.

Oh dear.....I'd be reaching for the nearest lump of wood if I were you fella!!

You're not helping. Move along please :D

Oh dear.....I'd be reaching for the nearest lump of wood if I were you fella!!

I'd have opted for box of matches ages ago..... However when you then look at the car, it just looks the bollocks

yosser likes this

I know I've been unlucky with a couple of issues (vvt hub & water pump) but that aside the car has been as reliable as any other. My mk5 golf has had just as many issues.

The thing is that, like most of you and unlike the majority of car users, I'm a car guy and I'm proactive as far as maintenance is concerned. I'm constantly listening for noises and feeling for changes and then going after them in order to ensure the car is always at its best. I do my own repairs (with a couple of exceptions) and I share my success and failure.

To be honest, fault finding and fettling are as enjoyable for me as driving the car - I'm equally as mediocre at both :D

I've been making up a list of jobs to do before the ring trip next month and it's not getting smaller..

I'd already planned on doing oil & filter, gearbox oil change, top up angle gear & diff, brake fluid change, new front pads (xp10) and I've bought or ordered all this in preparation.

Anyway, I went looking for a noise I heard yesterday on the way home from work and found that the nearside inner and outer track rod ends are both gubbed, so I can add them and a wheel alignment to the list. The noise was just an exhaust heat shield!

It'll need an mot as well.

I foresee much cursing and swearing in my future......

I also have one of those lists which is ever growing, I am about to order some CT pads from the USA, do you need any?  I would recommend xp12's over 10's they seem to last much longer and have been perfect for me.

Thanks Ryan, I've already bought the xp10 from the UK distributor.

I could have gone the US route but I wanted them immediately so took the hit on price.

I considered other compounds but decided to stick with xp10 for now. I think I'll benefit more from a fluid change than anything, that and learning to brake harder for a shorter time.

I decided to check the cam timing adaptation in Vida today, it was something that was on my mind since the water pump was replaced.

Inlet adaptation was 5.13 deg and exhaust -0.89 deg. In a post very early on in this thread I think Tim advised no more than 6 deg, so I'm just in the range and no more on the inlet cam.

In the same post I was advised to check ignition timing was between 8 and 14 at idle. It cycles up and down in a wave, mainly between 9 and 15 but with occasional readings of 15-18. Not sure if thats ok or not.

This week has seen oil & filter change, top up rear diff, change gearbox oil, new front pads, new brake fluid, new front pads, wheels swapped front to rear, polished & waxed and a four wheel alignment booked for tomorrow.

This week has also seen a phonecall with Tim which might mean I'm down there before the ring trip.

This car certainly has the capacity to keep me on my toes. And skint.

But would you have any other way .

Just wondering what oil and grade you are running ?

Edited by Harvey

I've plumped for Mobil 5w40 fully synthetic, that's what's been in the car since its last oil change too.

I'm not a fan of the thinner grades volvo now recommended.

Because I replaced a track rod end this week, and because it hasn't been done for more than a year, I got a four wheel alignment done on the car today.

Although the car drove fine beforehand pretty much everything needed adjusting. Nothing was too far out but I was surprised that the front camber was positive on both sides.

It's all in spec now (including toe settings advised by Ashok) so I look forward to it driving well from here on.

I know there aren't many of us up here, but I can thoroughly recommend Pro Grip in Larbert. The guy really knows his stuff, a very experienced professional. He was even polite when I apologised in advance for the amount of gear oil I was about to drop all over his lovely clean floor....

Finding good 4 wheel alignment places which can get it right without charging a fortune is hard.  Ashok found FCM in Bristol, I used Lee before combe, a very knowledgeable guy so I have booked in again for this weekend since having the replacement rack.

www.fcmwheelalignment.co.uk

Edited by s40rch

I took the car to Tim for him to sort out an oil leak from the gearbox. He predicted angle gear issues, and he was right.

The awd was working, but looking at the new and old sleeves it's plain to see I was on borrowed time. Those teeth must be 80% worn. I'm pretty sure the ring trip would have seen my awd fail.

post-534-0-80007500-1474535650_thumb.jpg

Craigyt likes this

You must really like that car!

You must really like that car!

It's the gift that keeps on giving...

Be careful now the car was saving that failure for the ring trip now that you have fixed it the car will be in a vindictive grump and could do anything :/

Although painful on the wallet at least you found it pre ring trip! 

It's the gift that keeps on giving...

I know, thank you.

yosser likes this

Such a shame.....I had a marching band & Tims local rag lined up for its annual return to Coalville on the back of the intercontinental vehicle transporter fresh from its latest escapades in Deutschland. Was an impressive sight last year. Spoilsport.

:D

There's time, don't cancel them yet.....

Will a Mod please close the thread now as the car is defect free ( well excluding the O/S headlight wiper).

yosser likes this

Will a Mod please close the thread now as the car is defect free ( well excluding the O/S headlight wiper).

If you hold the washers on for more than a second or so then it'll park. It's not *that* defective.

And I'll hold you to the 'defect free' bit.

In fact, anyone want to buy a certified 'defect free' s60r?

:D

See always something to do :)