Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Durden

Which is best? A Proper Rolling Road Custom Remap or an emailed Remap (MTE,Shark,RICA)

83 posts in this topic

This sounds like an obvious one to me, but I have seen nothing on this site that promotes the classic Rolling Road Remaps, however there are lots of comments regarding remaps that are just derived from your current software like the MTE, RICA and Shark remaps.

Surely the custom remap is the best way to go/

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Custom remaps are available also and depending on what mods you have may be the better option. I would however point out the a custom map really should be tuned on the "road" ie bruntingthorpe or other suitable track. The Volvo system doesn't respond well to the limited cooling on a rolling rd.

Paul

Thanks for the quick response!  I didn't expect one so fast especially as this forum seemed pretty quiet.

I'm specifically looking at P-Torque of Wolverhampton (not far from you either)  and I have yet to read anything bad about them on the internet.  They are also cheaper than the companies selling the emailed remaps!  That seems backwards to me.  Are the likes of MTE, RICA and Shark just ripping people off, or are there more to their maps than what is available from the live Custom Remaps?

Have you asked the three main mappers if they are ripping you off

I suppose it's what the customer wants and the company's reputation. I know shark and mte offer custom maps also. I have never heard of p-torque so can't really comment on their product.

Paul

Have you asked the three main mappers if they are ripping you off

Just waiting for an email from Don.  I had almost decided to go for the MTE map but then I found that the custom map was cheaper!  I expected it to be lots more money, not less.  Now I'm not sure.

I see you joined today. Can you tell me what car it is you want to remap and what mods it has?

Paul

Mine is a stock C30 R-Design D5.

Edited by Tyler Durden

I am struggling to understand how a custom map is cheaper than an off the shelf map. A custom map, done properly, requires many hours of data logging and tweeking to get it right if it's done properly. An off the shelf map can be loaded in about an hour. The other thing to consider if it goes wrong do you want a tried and tested company to deal with or a company that no one has heard of?

Paul

At the end of the day it's your vehicle and your money so your choice who you use. Maybe someone who has had dealings with them will respond and give more details about p-torque.

Paul

Thanks.  That's what I was hoping for, someone who has been to P-Torque with a D5 and can tell us their experiences.

No one has been to P-Torque that I know of, nor have I ever heard of them? You should ask them how many C30 D5's they have done and what the results are?

If they are telling you they are going to do a custom map cheaper than an off the shelf map from Don then I would suspect they are filling you full of shit!

Remember in this world a company will always say yes we can do that for you and take your money and smile!

They may have the software to turn the boost up and alter the Throttle position sensor so your engine is just doing more RPM at a lesser position and all that bullshit.

I would steer clear of them like the plague personally but you get what you pay for in this world good luck choosing.

Thanks Greg 

They do have a decent reputation on the vag forums that I've seen but I went elsewhere when it came to mapping my vag even though distance didn't really matter to me, Greg speaks from experience.

Some quick online research shows they seem to deal mainly with vag's and are popular on the cupra forums.Irf? If it was me I would join some of the forums that have used them and ask for opinions on there as well.

Paul

I see you got there before me Irf :). Also they cheap maps they are offering are generic off the shelf maps from what I have seen. I suspect the true custom maps will be far more expensive.

Pa

Too slow old man, too slow....

Too slow old man, too slow....

Lol

Paul

Thanks for the responses.  Like I said, I have not found a bad word said about them anywhere and they've been doing this for 12 years. I challenge you to find any.

I spoke to Will at P-Torque and after listening to what he had to say I am confident he will do a good job.  I've booked in for next week and will aim to give detailed feedback here after I've seen what goes on.

Just in case you have not yet had the opportunity to read my answer to your last email I will quote my answer which might persuade you to pay the additional £45 for the MTE calibrations that I have quoted....

"I can only confirm that I have been selling MTE’s software for about 15 years now and their specific calibrations for the Volvo D5 engines in their various forms for just about as long as they were in production.

There will certainly be no possibility that any map genuinely written from scratch by anyone with some use of a rolling road and maybe no running on the public roads within two hours and at a cost of just £350 can hold a candle to MTE’s calibrations which are written in Sweden by a chap who has two masters degrees in related technologies plus  has the most intimate knowledge of Volvo’s engines, their ECUs and their software. To say nothing of the further development and refinements carried out over those years."

Don.

This sounds like an obvious one to me, but I have seen nothing on this site that promotes the classic Rolling Road Remaps, however there are lots of comments regarding remaps that are just derived from your current software like the MTE, RICA and Shark remaps.

Surely the custom remap is the best way to go/

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You could always take it to Mike Evans motorsport on Oxon Business Park :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Don, but I can't see the value in the emailed remap tune that you are selling over the rolling road live custom remap that P-Torque are offering. That comes with before and after dyno print outs.

If the MTE remap was the same price I think I would still opt for the custom remap. I think that your price is very, very expensive for what you are actually doing for the money. Which is essentially sending and receiving a few emails.

Sorry Don, but I can't see the value in the emailed remap tune that you are selling over the rolling road live custom remap that P-Torque are offering. That comes with before and after dyno print outs.

If the MTE remap was the same price I think I would still opt for the custom remap. I think that your price is very, very expensive for what you are actually doing for the money. Which is essentially sending and receiving a few emails.

You are paying for years of experience in tuning Volvos as opposed to years of experience in tuning Volkswagens, I myself can't see the point in having a live map on a standard car, if it had upgraded components, then yes, but not on a standard car.

2 hrs on a rolling road for a custom remap? I dont think so! It will be a generic map and a few runs to check all is ok or a tweak to the fuel pressure and boost at most and not a proper remap at all.

Just my opinion.

Paul