DSK

Volvo C70 T5 Coupe - Enhancements

36 posts in this topic

This isn't a powerhouse or bodywork freak project.  Its a C70 T5 receiving the 'DSK' treatment.  Someone mentioned that as I do a fair bit I may as well put it in the project thread.

So, the other moth, as some know, I bought another C70 2.3 T5 Coupe Automatic as its was genuinely in very straight healthy shape all round and a great spec, with 78K and FMDSH.  It drives smooth and pulls like I used to in my younger days.  It doesn't want for anything but I like to ensure everything is kept as fresh and sweet as possible.

CAR UPON PURCHASE

Exterior202_zpsjigyud9a.jpg

Exterior204_zpsoqexksf1.jpg

Interior%201_zpsqgefbbwu.jpg

Engine%20Bay_zpso9zy98bu.jpg

DSCF0489_zpsjrbdkgk8.jpg

In very good clean order, even with its original alloys in excellent condition all shod with Michelin tyres all round.  Certainly the previous owners did what they could to look after it as best they could. 

Work carried out to date;

SERVICE / STAGE 0

• Full Service using OEM Volvo parts
  • Stage 0 parts ordered in, just need master Tim Williams to fit.

BRAKES

• New ATE brake calipers (the old ones just looked a bit rusty for liking)
  • OEM Volvo Discs - Ferodo D2500 pads (front)
  • Pagid discs & pads (rear)
  • Motul RBF600 fluid

WHEELS TYRES

• 4 x 17" OEM Canisto's sourced. (I feel the Canisto's alloys suit and complement the lines of the C70 perfectly)
  • The above refurbished (shot blasted/powder coated in Sparkle Silver) by Total Wheel Works in Nottingham (excellent small company that's been going a long time) :thumbsup:
  • 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 22/45/17 XL 94 Y ordered in (to be fitted Saturday)
  • Hunter Hawkeye Wheel Alignment (to be carried out at the same time this Saturday)

CHASSIS

• OEM Volvo Strut Brace Fitted
  • (see below for upcoming suspension overhaul)

ICE

• Pioneer AVXH-550BT double din, Bluetooth, dvd system fitted (its sounds excellent and is upto date)

COSMETICS

• T5 rear panel badge fitted (don't want people confusing this beasty for a slower engine)
  • Defi Racer 52mm Boost Gauge (awaiting fitment)

LIGHTING

• HIDS Direct H7R 6000K Terminator kit fitted

36E10002-60A1-4E0B-B95B-B21E66CAA9C4_zps

1971AA3C-BBD4-4252-A21A-EC4E3DCFA878_zps

17%20canisto%20refurbed_zpsnyjmwo05.jpg

As soon as the wheels are on this weekend and I have detailed the paintwork, I will post up pictures in the showroom.

TO DO LIST

• Fit new window regulator mlarky
  • New Bilstein B4 or B6 shock absorbers with Eibach or H&R springs.
  • New suspension top mounts
  • New control arms
  • New track rod ends
  • Uprated anti roll bar bushes (if available)
  • VXR fuel injectors
  • ATF Fluid Change

THANK YOU'S

MRG Volvo                                         - (parts supply)

FRF Volvo                                           - (parts supply)

Total Wheel Works                             - Nottingham (alloy wheel refurbishment)

Larkspeed                                           - (performance braking supply & defi boost gauge)

Tim Williams & T5D5 Members         - support, heads up, help and parts offers

Edited by DSK

as i said before nice looking motor :)

• VXR fuel injectors

im guessing your not going to map it so why the injectors?

as i said before nice looking motor :)

im guessing your not going to map it so why the injectors?

Don't think Jimathan does the injector cleaning anymore.  So new VXR ones just drop straight in and are easily obtained,  Having new/clean injectors keeps the car performing well.  The silver one has the VXR injectors in and is not mapped and runs smooth.

A stage 1 MTE or TW map is never out of the question. 

A TW map is out of the question at present one of the reasons i bought an 850 :P

Fair enough with the VXRs id have thought the standard injectors would have been cheaper and not required the car to go through the silly adaption every time you disconnect the battery or clear the codes is all

A TW map is out of the question at present one of the reasons i bought an 850 :P

Fair enough with the VXRs id have thought the standard injectors would have been cheaper and not required the car to go through the silly adaption every time you disconnect the battery or clear the codes is all

Never had a quote for OEM ones but was under the impression they were more costly than the VXR option.

Tim did put an idea of a 19T, stage 1 in my head..... if the gearbox ever goes on this then I'd probably head down that route along with a manual conversion.

were gonna run out of 19t's at this rate :lol:

Just got back from the family places after having a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymm 2's fitted and the alloys bolted followed by a hunter hawkeye alignment.

No matter how hard I tried I don't think I've been able to photograph the metallic flec but, it shines!!!!

Alloy Wheels Refurbished (shot blast & powder coat) in Sparkle Silver.  (With thanks to Total Wheel Works - Nottingham for a personal, friendly reliable service).

In a dark garage

17%20canisto%20refurbed_zpsnyjmwo05.jpg

Out in the sun & fitted

061CBE91-A621-4F17-9B9B-864CE2BB8922_zps

DSCF0506_zpshkzwvqwy.jpg

DSCF0505_zps5m2irrho.jpg

DSCF0503_zpsoekvbxit.jpg

50a66ebe-7cf8-4803-be3b-2f15f6f7926f_zps

DSCF0508_zpsmxzyaztj.jpg

DSCF0504_zpswgrear2w.jpg

Edited by DSK

I have always liked the way you look after your car's!

DSK likes this

I have always liked the way you look after your car's!

Thank you Greg - yourself, forum members and Tim Williams along with FRF and MRG all play a part in it with knowledge/advice/help etc.  This car hauls @ss so just want to keep it fresh and improve little bits where possible without ruining it.  Loved the 120 mile trip today.

I'm hoping things go better for me this year so that I can free up some monies and get something like an M3 or M5 and come and play at the ring and combe with you guys next year.

Now off to look at and source the suspension lark (control arms - drop links - Bilstein shocks - Eibach/HR springs - new top mounts - powerflex anti roll bar bushes?)

Some new style centre caps would suit those wheels a treat imo :)

Some new style centre caps would suit those wheels a treat imo :)

image.jpg

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161722967014

Dont necasarily buy them but have a look about various different options and prices available i have this style on my estate and i prefer em

I see what you mean, they would help retain the silver look throughout.  They are listed for later cars, are the sizes/fitting the same despite this?

Will keep an eye out to see if anything comes across my path but initially want to get the suspension refresh and possible crystal headlamp/repeater upgrade done first. 

Dunno about fitment pull one of yours out and measure its dia and check it against listings your wheels are the same size as P2 wheels and im pretty sure centre caps from 850 up to p2 will all be the same but not sure about after that or the v50/c30 style cars

Just got back from the family places after having a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymm 2's fitted and the alloys bolted followed by a hunter hawkeye alignment.

No matter how hard I tried I don't think I've been able to photograph the metallic flec but, it shines!!!!

Alloy Wheels Refurbished (shot blast & powder coat) in Sparkle Silver.  (With thanks to Total Wheel Works - Nottingham for a personal, friendly reliable service).

In a dark garage

Out in the sun & fitted

DSCF0503_zpsoekvbxit.jpg

DSCF0508_zpsmxzyaztj.jpg

DSCF0504_zpswgrear2w.jpg

Lol I was parked 200 yards from this location all morning :D When you said the wheels were done in Nottingham I figured that's where you where based.

I used to get my tyres done at Spon End Tyres too. They're a black circles fitter, so I was sneaky got a black circles price and asked them to beat it ;)

Got any side on photos of the car with the alloys you took off? I thought they looked pretty good.

Never had a quote for OEM ones but was under the impression they were more costly than the VXR option.

Tim did put an idea of a 19T, stage 1 in my head..... if the gearbox ever goes on this then I'd probably head down that route along with a manual conversion.

Why do you keep buying cars with Gayerboxs?

Why do you keep buying cars with Gayerboxs?

This is a road cat that needs to dance and plus you have magic hands that fix them when they break lol and do gay to straight conversions! The car was a good 'un!

For a track car for next year I will see if I can pick up an mr2 turbo or M3.

Canistos really are a Marmite wheel. 

Redbrick - wheels are very much a personal taste item.  The 17" propus BBS wheels, whilst it is a fabulous wheel, IMO it doesn't suit the car and also it makes the wheels look smaller than 17's. Had they been the option 18" Triton, those look more imposing and I may have lived them. Also they would be a nightmare to clean they way I like, in every nook and cranny.  As a result, the Canisto's IMO suit the C70 itself very nicely and were easier to source than my other option of 17x7.5J Comets.

Warlord - the best side view I have with the 17" Propus wheels is below.  I'd like to swap them for a set of 17x7.5J comets.  I'm reluctant to them go on the basis they are in excellent shape, no buckles, no kerb damage, lovely condition and finding something in as good condition seems to be impossible.

15BFFC6B-C01C-4CF3-A90A-8442582D8EE3_zps

Suspension overhaul booked for this coming Friday  :dance: There had better be no idiots crashing on the M4/M25/M1 as I'll need to set off at 5:30am prompt.

SUSPENSION OVERHAUL COMPLETE  B) 

On Friday 03 July 2015, went to a local garage that I have used since I was 17 years old to have my suspension overhauled to 'DSK' specification.

Shocks : Bilstein B6

Springs : H&R

Bump Stop/Cover Kit : Bilstein

Control Arms : Lemforder

Top Mounts : Lemforder (front) - Febi/Bilstein (rear)

Track Rod Ends : OEM Volvo

Alignment : Hunter Hawkeye

Boot Loaded With Goodies

loaded_zps9ia94ono.jpg

Work In Progress

suspenion%20work%201_zpsvmv2v6i7.jpg

suspension%20work%202_zpss6pjpael.jpg

suspension%20work%203_zps58h0wolw.jpg

rear20done_zpsys4wrvup.jpg

front%20done_zpswlmsu62i.jpg

0bca6cdf-1d46-4ec6-aa09-2418eecb07d0_zps

End Result

(I love the first picture)

HampR20setting201_zpszveabzij.jpg

HampR%20Setting%202_zps7clnapwo.jpg

HampR%20Setting%203_zpsv7qoz1dp.jpg

HampR%20Setting%204_zpshqucw03b.jpg

HampR%20SETTING%205_zpsoqstwwek.jpg

The car now handles itself with the body control I was expecting, far closer to that of a modern car with impressively reduced body roll, excellent damping and rebound whilst being firm but compliant.  The pitching under heavy braking and acceleration is tremendously reduced following in no additional pitches or wallows. 

The drop is not much but just enough to enhance the stance to still cope with real world speed bumps and road conditions.  It may drop a little more over the next few weeks but there's plenty room to avoid issues.

Also it was impossible to find pictures of a C70 T5 Coupe, with H&R springs on standard 17" Volvo wheels.  So this should serve well to anyone looking into the results that can be expected with H&R springs.

WORK TO DATE

SERVICE / STAGE 0

• Full Service using OEM Volvo parts
  • Stage 0 parts ordered in, (Waiting for Tim Williams to fit)
  • ATF Fluid Replacement (waiting for Tim Williams or MRG Volvo)

BRAKES

• New ATE brake calipers (the old ones just looked a bit rusty for liking)
  • OEM Volvo Discs - Ferodo D2500 pads (front)
  • Pagid discs & pads (rear)
  • Motul RBF600 fluid

WHEELS TYRES

• 4 x 17" OEM Canisto's sourced. (I feel the Canisto's alloys suit and complement the lines of the C70 perfectly)
  • The above refurbished (shot blasted/powder coated in Sparkle Silver) by Total Wheel Works in Nottingham (excellent small company that's been going a long time)  :thumbsup:
  • 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 22/45/17 XL 94 Y ordered in (to be fitted Saturday)
  • Hunter Hawkeye Wheel Alignment (to be carried out at the same time this Saturday)

CHASSIS

• OEM Volvo Strut Brace Fitted
  • Bilstein B6 Front & Rear Shock Absorbers
  • H&R Lowering springs (confirmed to be suitable with the B6 dampers by Bilstein)
  • Bilstein Bump Stops/Covers
  • Lemforder Front Top Mounts
  • Febi/Bilstein Rear Top Mounts
  • Lemforder Control Arms
  • Genuine Volvo Track Rod Ends
  • Another Hunter Hawkeye Alignment

ICE

• Pioneer AVXH-550BT double din, Bluetooth, dvd system fitted (its sounds excellent and is upto date)

COSMETICS

• T5 rear panel badge fitted (don't want people confusing this beasty for a slower engine)
  • Defi Racer 52mm Boost Gauge (awaiting fitment by Tim William)

LIGHTING

• HIDS Direct H7R 6000K Terminator kit fitted
  • Osram Cool Blue Fog Light Bulbs 

CONSIDERATIONS

• Lightly smoked rear 1/4 window tints
  • MTE Stage 1 remap
  • Crystal Jewel Headlight kit
  • 3M clear wrap bumper, bonnet & front wings to protect against stone chips
  • Gradient sunstrip for front windscreen
  • Tingy's silver centre caps  ;)

THANK YOU'S

MRG Volvo                                         - (parts supply)

FRF Volvo                                           - (parts supply)

Total Wheel Works                             - Nottingham (alloy wheel refurbishment)

Larkspeed                                           - (performance braking supply & defi boost gauge)

Tim Williams & T5D5 Members           - support, heads up, help and parts offers

All German Parts                                 - parts supply (Bilstein B6's & mountings)

AJC Auto Repairs (Nottingham)          - fitting almost all of the parts and servicing work (I've used them regularly for 18 years!)

Notitngham Alignment (Basford)         - Hunter Hawkeye Alignment

The Tyre Company                             - Hunter Hawkeye Alignment

Edited by DSK

Looks absolutely fantastic.

I love what you had done to the Canistos - given me food for thought

DSK likes this

Looks brilliant, how's the interior?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks brilliant, how's the interior?

Heated 2 tone leather - clean & tidy I really like this as I prefer light interiors to dark ones.

RTI

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Sunroof

Computer/stc etc

Extra wood bits

Interior%205_zpsywfddac7.jpg

Interior%201_zpsqgefbbwu.jpg

36E10002-60A1-4E0B-B95B-B21E66CAA9C4_zps

Nice looking car all round, liked these since I saw one in the nineties remake of The Saint