Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MobyUK

Octane booster

11 posts in this topic

Hi folks. Wondered if anyone has had any experience of using an octane booster in a Phase 1 T5.

A lot of us run meth injection which serves the same purpose but with other additional benefits too

Watched a program on fifth gear a while back and they did a bench test with all leading brands of octain booster and they found none of them to be of any benefit what so ever in fact they made less power have a look!

https://youtu.be/zKxJfXfD6mg

Snake oil! lol Go for it, hey if the crowd at Silverstone can make Lewis a few seconds quicker then do it!

As someone who has spent a great deal trying various octane boosters including NF and Aldon, I am very much of the opinion that it's largely BOLLOCKS!!  :lolbang:

Toluene did show *some* benefit but you had a use large quantities and it's extremely nasty stuff, hence I would not recommend that anyone handles it.

Racing fuel is about the only thing which showed unequivocal benefit, cooler burn, stupid levels of ignition advance and oh the sound of the engine.....sheer bliss!!  But at over £4.50 per litre for the good stuff, it's not cheap, but can be blended with pump fuel if a little extra engine protection is required.  The only downside is iron tends to be used as a knock suppressant in some race fuels and hence can cause fouling of spark plugs and poor drivability after a while.  IMO its a complete waste for use on the road and you'll be better off with an efficient intercooler and meth injection. 

Gregs T5R likes this

I use the AEM kit had the devils own and it didn't last very long!

Unless the rest of your car is tuned you will not really notice much if any difference?

You would be better of spending the money on a straight remap

Agree with Greg that the AEM kit is much better put together than the Devils own - get the one with the V2 Progressive Controller if possible.

I, however, feel that the supplemental cooling offered by one of these systems offers benefits on pretty much any turbocharged car - you won't need a huge jet on a standard-ish car but this will still help keep cylinder temps down when any car is being run hard.

I agree with you as well Ashok any cooling on a turbocharged car does help, what I actually meant was for the money he would spend on a good AEM kit would pay for a stage 1 map and stage zero service.

But then again I would still want Methanol, the slippery slope of tuning lol

Both Tim and I were speaking to Lake Speed Jr. from Driven Racing at the Autosport show - always been a thoroughly helpful chap and only too happy to help.  He mentioned that they're bringing out an octane booster in the next few weeks, which will be sold by Anglo American Oil Company, and would increase the octane rating by up to 4RON.  We did discuss the merits of software optimisation to take advantage of the added knock suppression so once again, I've really no idea how effective this will be, but one thing I know is Lake Speed Jr will be very keen to get feedback from anyone who does try it!