Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pyaap

2016 Track Day

84 posts in this topic

This may be bad advice but I wouldn't worry too much about tools. I'm personally gonna ignore my own advice but there'll be 101 people there that you know who will have tools and won't mind lending not just the tools but their own hands if needed.

Take some extra oil, spare pads if you have them, tyre pressure gauge and a gimp mask for Robbie.

I didn't make last year (was in the process of relocating to leicestershire... to be nearer to Tim).

My Dad's 50th is around that time but I'll see what I can do. The car hardly gets used anymore so it'll probably do her good to go out on track for a bit. Shakeoff any cobwebs that may be accumulating.

Worn through to the backing plate on my XP8s a few weeks back, so better get that sorted first  :whistling:

I didn't make last year (was in the process of relocating to leicestershire... to be nearer to Tim).

My Dad's 50th is around that time but I'll see what I can do. The car hardly gets used anymore so it'll probably do her good to go out on track for a bit. Shakeoff any cobwebs that may be accumulating.

Worn through to the backing plate on my XP8s a few weeks back, so better get that sorted first  :whistling:

I would do most of the prep before, brakes oil etc.  Decent set of tyres with plenty of tread, if you're on road tyres you can easily kill the front left in a day as its primarily a right handed track.  Robbie's advice is spot on, I believe tyre gauges were supposed to have been provided on the day previously.

If you start the day with a full tank of fuel you'll probably last till lunch time before needing a refuel.

If you're in a P1 I would recommend having a heater matrix which is no older than 1year, it will explode at some point.

Edited by s40rch

Thanks guys, I'll be bring plenty of oil ;) (including 2 stroke) and spare pads. Not sure about the gimp mask though :)

Is it worth getting a couple of jerry cans to save having to leave at lunch time to get fuel.

Ok as a track day newbie does anyone have any recommendations before the big day? Also does anyone know the noise limit at Castle combe, and do or can they do a test before the day as i have a new exhaust and it may be too loud.

Combe offer free noise tests pretty much any weekday between 9am and 5pm so it will be worth popping in if you're in the area - to be safe it might be worth calling the circuit office to double check before heading down.

This may be bad advice but I wouldn't worry too much about tools. I'm personally gonna ignore my own advice but there'll be 101 people there that you know who will have tools and won't mind lending not just the tools but their own hands if needed.

Take some extra oil, spare pads if you have them, tyre pressure gauge and a gimp mask for Robbie.

LOL, I'll borrow the mask Tim normally lends to you  :whip: .

I would do most of the prep before, brakes oil etc.  Decent set of tyres with plenty of tread, if you're on road tyres you can easily kill the front left in a day as its primarily a right handed track.  Robbie's advice is spot on, I believe tyre gauges were supposed to have been provided on the day previously.

If you start the day with a full tank of fuel you'll probably last till lunch time before needing a refuel.

If you're in a P1 I would recommend having a heater matrix which is no older than 1year, it will explode at some point.

:lies: one tank of fuel gets me there and back home with a 100 mile track day in the middle  :D

I'm lucky to see 200 miles from 1 tank of fuel in normal use, something tells me I might be off to the garage a couple of times during the day.

Combe offer free noise tests pretty much any weekday between 9am and 5pm so it will be worth popping in if you're in the area - to be safe it might be worth calling the circuit office to double check before heading down.

Just got back from combe and only 90 db so all is good.

that's nice and quiet, I am 88db on cold idle. probably 125db @ 1m on boost down the straight lol.

Did you sneak a lap in?

that's nice and quiet, I am 88db on cold idle. probably 125db @ 1m on boost down the straight lol.

Did you sneak a lap in?

Lol, nope. I've noticed once I hit 7.5k rpm things do get a lot louder and the bang from the unburnt fuel at 9k rpm when I change gear is rather loud. Edited by adieu

9k? you the guy in the RX8?  How many gallons of oil are you bringing? :lolbang:

Are you in an rx8 adieu? Can I jump in for some pax laps at some point please?

Yep I'll be bring the rx8

It's a complete myth that they use a lot of oil, honest ;) but I have shared in castrol now... And people wonder why I add oil to my fuel..

Anyone is welcome to have a pax lap, just remember I will be driving like a granny.

9k? you the guy in the RX8?

He could also be the guy in the T4........ :lolbang:

9400rpm.jpg

adieu likes this

9k?!?!? Impressive :crazy: I saw 8.4k rpm at Folly in the Rover but that ended up like this :lol:

20150907_113256_zps9zeapnbp.jpg

Bristol Ibis £78 this year... swear I paid £30 last year!

Bristol Ibis £78 this year... swear I paid £30 last year!

we really should get the numbers together and make a call /email to sort a group thing out,? we've been staying there every year for years now... i try see if there is anything can be done tomorrow.

i had been trying to sort us a better rate at the ibis for those that stay there.... it was like pulling hens teeth to be fair! but got a bit off in the end. i said we'd be be looking to book in the next week if they could sort us a deal out this is the reply.

Hi Craig,

Following our phone conversation I can offer you the rate of £70.00 room only per night for Thursday and Friday night, and an allocation for breakfast of £5.00 per person per day. Breakfast booked on the day will cost £8.95 per person.

You will be able to book a maximum of 20 rooms at this rate.

In addition I can offer you 10% discount at the bar if you open a tab for the group.

This offer is best and final.

Please note the reservation needs to be 100% pre paid and the deposit is not refundable in case of cancellations.

I've missed out on this, but if anybody drops out I'll be happy to step in.  Have we a reserve list ?

i had been trying to sort us a better rate at the ibis for those that stay there.... it was like pulling hens teeth to be fair! but got a bit off in the end. i said we'd be be looking to book in the next week if they could sort us a deal out this is the reply.

Hi Craig,[/size]

[/size]

Following our phone conversation I can offer you the rate of £70.00 room only per night for Thursday and Friday night, and an allocation for breakfast of £5.00 per person per day. Breakfast booked on the day will cost £8.95 per person.[/size]

You will be able to book a maximum of 20 rooms at this rate.[/size]

In addition I can offer you 10% discount at the bar if you open a tab for the group.[/size]

This offer is best and final.[/size]

[/size]

Please note the reservation needs to be 100% pre paid and the deposit is not refundable in case of cancellations.[/size]

I missed this

That reads very much like

"Right fine heres a discount but thats all your getting now piss off and please leave us alone" :lol:

haha I haven't booked the hotel yet actually.  petty discount.

I missed this

That reads very much like

"Right fine heres a discount but thats all your getting now piss off and please leave us alone" :lol:

lol errrrr yer that about sums it up! 

Hi team,

Less than a month to go, so I've started making arrangements(!). Travelodge is currently £64, so I'm investigating blagging a room at my friend's place near the airport. It'll mean an early start, though! I think I'll go home after the meal on the Friday...but I might stay at my friend's place again, and head to Kings. No MRG...end of an era!

After killing my dodgy old slicks after 5 laps last years, I've just managed to get myself some Avon ZZR and ZZSs (bravery level will dictate which pair go on which axle if it's wet :D ). It turns out buying slicks is a relatively expensive business...plus people tend to sell them in pairs, and finding matching ones (size-wise, even) is easier said than done!

Other than that, I think I'll give the car a couple of days outings as a shakedown...but we're ready to roll. Zero progress since last year. And no 740. I had a new unit lined up which would have provided the space needed to work on it...but that fell through. It ought to happen this year, ready for next, though, fingers crossed!

cheers

James

I may have to miss this year as today I learned my Daughter Sarah has stage three breast cancer ' I feel as my whole life is hung out of my arse at the mo , I'll have to wait and see what the hospital say in the coming days.  

There's no justice in this world ' God' my fucking arse she's in her 30s with a 10 year old boy.