Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LC1

c70 interchangeable Engine?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a xc70 currently but have a chance of a c70 2.3 T5 and believe parts are hard to come by now ( guy alleges he seized motor but unknown cause). It would be a long term keeper/weekend blaster can anyone recommend a quality engine rebuild company? I've emailed several who advertise rebuild experts etc only for them to reply with we don't do Volvo's!!! Why advertise then??? The Volvo is a 98 plate is there any pre 2005 that would slot in with ecu replacement? 

Apologies if opening in wrong section first evening in

LC1

Hi and welcome,

I can't answer your question about an engine rebuilder, but there a lot on here that can. Where did you here that C70 parts are hard to come by. I have a 99 and have had no issues at all. Hope you get your C70 fixed, they are great cars.

Brian

Hello & Welcome

There are a few Vultures around the Volvo game who could rebuild the engine but I would personally only trust Tim Williams to do an engine rebuild, he is a busy guy and there might be a bit of a wait?

But he is the one and has done most of the builds on this forum.

Post up some pics of the car & engine bay and take a snap of the dip stick see what colour the oil is and take a snap if the inside the oil fill up easiest way is open a photo bucket account then just link them.

Thanks Greg 

P1 me7 T5 parts are hard to come by relatively speaking and depending what you want, compared to 850's or P2's they had a short production run (and even fewer of those are C70s and fewer again are T5s) trying to get hold of genuine decent driveshafts was an issue for me where as an engine shouldnt be an issue as they were used in early P2 too

Personally i wouldnt bother with an engine rebuild you can pick up a replacement ME7 engine from a P1 or early P2 for not a lot of cash or if your head is ok pick up a 2.4 bottom end from a later P2 and bung that in it will need mapping but ul be wanting a remap anyway so something to consider if you change the engine and keep your old etm (i think thats the only bit thats coded) then you wont need a replacement ecu and with me7 unless you pay for a replacement ecu to be sorted for the rest of the car then i dont think it will work anyway

Personally id have a look at the cost of a replacement engine and (if you dont want to do the swap yourself) contact Tim Williams on here to see if hes interested in doing the work and a rough cost then factor that into your purchase price

If its not an me7 then it will be the same engine as an 850 and imo its a much better proposition so id be even more interested in it :P

Morning Fella's

Thanks for your replies, i'm getting back onto the guy today ref taking the car of his hands and try and get some piccies up next week. Getting a buzz just thinking about it!!!!

LC1