Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLPower

Code 0017 Cam/Crank Position Correlation Sensor B Bank 1

11 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 V70T5 manual with 90k on it. The belt was changed by Volvo at 75k 2 years ago. I changed the engine oil and filter 3k ago along  with plugs, air filter and fuel filter.

I read the code using torque app. After googling the code I've removed and cleaned the RPM sensor in the bell housing (wasn't dirty), the cam sensor on the inlet cam and the VVT solenoid on the exhaust cam. 

The car runs great with no ill effects apparent, just the annoying light. each time I've done one of the tasks mentioned I reset the light and it's been fine for a few days before the light comes back on. I'm not gifted (or competent) in the ways of torque apps or IT for that matter.

Could anyone point me in the right direction either with what to check next, local access to VIDA or a Volvo indie near Doncaster who isn't going to have a scattergun approach to chucking new this and that at it to sort it.

Many thanks

If you do a search on the forum it should come up with plenty about the setting and checking the cam timing.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise the cam timing could move. Bugger....

Every few months it comes up about cam timing, firstly it could do with physically checking and then looking at Desired, Actual and Adaption.You need under 6 degrees of adaption for a constant stable idle. It's very rare for the sensors to go faulty and if they do the problem is usually the car won't start. The solenoid and or VVT hubs are normally the cause of the problems.

I checked the cam timing this afteroon, everything is in order. I'll try a couple of local garages to see if they have the equipment to check desired, actual and the adaptation.

Many thanks for your time.

I think an investment in a DICE with VIDA would pay for itself in the long run.

Exhaust cam hub is currently £274.42 including postage from volvopartshop.com

How exactly did you check the cam timing?

Edited by Tim Williams

I took the top cover off, then the side cover, refitted the top cover, turned the engine clockwise until the cam marks and crank lined up, turned another 180 degrees then 180 degrees back. I blame google.

I hope that was the correct method, my aged back is killing me this morning. 

Thanks redbrick, I think you maybe right.

Again thanks for your help.

Bloody Google, that's checking the cam sprocket timing NOT the cam timing as the adjustment for the cam timing is after the sprockets. Minor timing adjustments are done with the 3 8mm headed bolts in the sprockets. To check cam timing you can use Vida or lock the cams on the other end. That's why I asked how you checked it as I thought  you might of done that.

Thanks again. I'll book it in next week, I'm also in the process of aquiring an old lap top to load VIDA onto. Reading different posts it seems a bit of a gamble buying VIDA/DICE this one reads fairly good unless I've missed a reputable supplier.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newest-Version-For-Volvo-VIDA-DICE-2014A-Diagnostic-Tool-Scanner-Service-Cable-/391122084598?hash=item5b10b162f6:g:-LMAAOSwKrhVfIhI

I'm guessing the hubs are ok, no untoward noises, idles rock solid, it's smooth, performance is fine and i didn't feel any movement. Economy hasn't suffered either.