Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muhammad

Post 2016 Track Day Discussion & Pics / Vids

72 posts in this topic

Great half day for me! I ended up having to leave early (family reasons) but I got about 30 laps in the 996, and it was so much fun... apart from the exhaust smoke shortly after camp on 2 different sessions  :cry:! This however is a well known issue with 996s and g-force during cornering - basically, the air oil separator (AOS) is not suitable for high cornering loads and oil ends up in the intake and just needs to be burnt off by letting the car idle for a while after a session. There is an AOS upgrade for this issue which includes an improved (X51) sump.... but it's quite expensive... I'm not sure it justifies the cost given that I don't do a huge number of track days anyway. The other "workaround" is to run close to the minimum oil mark, but I don't feel very comfortable doing that. Taking corners in a higher gear is also an option - something to remember for next time. Come to think of it, I now seem to remember reading something about AOS issues on track a few months back when looking at them.

Needless to say, it was absolutely fine on the way back, started/restarted from warm/cold numerous times and no smoke  :dance: Had a little play with a 1M thingy which was fun.

In terms of how the car performed, I'm not the quickest driver, but I managed 1min 27s (taken from video) in my second to last session with a passenger on a reasonably dry track. Power delivery is so progressive and turn in is amazing. Getting on the power mid-corner feels fine with the 4WD, also helped from the 295 rear tyres. I think the only thing that doesn't inspire confidence is the brakes. They are standard discs and pads, and whilst they didn't fade, they didn't have a great initial bite and required a lot of pressure to actually do anything. Again, a common complaint and one not limited to 996s. I may try Pagid RS or DS2500s next time.

Nice to see some familiar faces and apologies I couldn't stay longer!

Thanks to everyone involved in the organisation.

Edit: Tim, in one of my sessions, you started right behind me in Ashok's S60R, and I indicated to let you pass, but you didn't and decided to indicate as well   :nuke:  . Once you did however, I saw you going for it and overtake everything in sight, and I couldn't believe the way you were driving on cold tyres on a damp track!

Edited by Muhammad

Well as usual, what a fantastic bloody day!

A big thanks to everyone who was there that made the day special for raza, it's really appreciated. Only problem is I have absolutely no chance of topping that. Ever!

I know I shouldn't be surprised because I know most of you dickheads but still am at the generosity of spirit shown, again, thank you.

The day started with meeting up with mo enroute and raza getting a ride in his porsche. I'd be happy with that on my flipping next birthday let alone my 10th!

Get to the track, change tyres and with the track being damp in places, my confidence was pretty low I have to admit, I remember the track was wet/damp in the atr once and I just drove it like it was dry! In this though i just felt old and slow. Which I am.

Bear in mind that the day before raza thought he was going to school as usual so waking him up at 4 and taking him to Combe was massive! Then getting there and having his birthday announced in front of you lot and then getting a birthday cake, well, you can only imagine.

Thing is, because I've been going to Combe for however long I've told him many times before that it's only when he's 16 that he'll ever be able to go out on track with me. His sister was 16 this year so I'm sure you can imagine the jealousy!

And then I tell him we're gonna go out In a fire engine on track!

That's his happy face.

20160617_104745_zpswr99pogf.jpg

On track and I don't know about raza but going round bends in this thing had me scared! It's ridiculous that this thing is allowed on track but an absolute stroke of genius! Long may it continue.

20160617_104932_zpsfxs9kior.jpg

Anyway, I've got pics and vids of some track "action" but I'll put that on a separate post. The main reason for this post was to say thank you to everyone.

Lastly, I know I'll regret this but I really have to say a separate and huge thank you to Mr and Mrs Ashok and those who were involved behind the scenes that allowed this to happen. It was never expected and I'm truly humbled. It all just came about when the date was released and I realised it was his birthday. Ashok phones me up and suggests this, that and everything, I didn't have much say in the matter and best of all I didn't even have to do anything! And now I'm the hero!

Jokes aside, really, thank you!

cornclose likes this

I didn't realise it was your youngsters birthday - I must have missed that having turned up later than usual. Belated many happy returns of the day to the wee lad, and all that!

*some stuff*

i just felt old and slow. Which I am

*some more stuff*

Lol cheers Chris, how was work aid?

Passed my assesments met up with the other lads after their team meeting went to a pub in old street where you put £1 in the nice girls cup when she comes around and then she goes on stage and takes all her cloths off so we stayed there for the evening got home around midnight with no money left

A Fantastic Track day' my car was amazing I had a massive smile on my face all day with the way it went and handled, the Pilot cup sport tyres were great but boy do they squeal.

I'd also like to thanks everyone for the Photo we had for my daughter Sarah I'm sure it will put a smile on her face when she see's it.

I took some in car video's but there upside down as I could work out the settings on the camera's to change then could any tell me how to do it please.

Thanks for a great weekend :)    

Had a great time & was a brilliant event - for a first track day I couldn't have asked for better. Thanks to Ashok & all that helped with organising/running the day.

Hope everyone made it home safe & sound - especially those who may have been feeling a little delicate this morning! Cheers, Morgan

i would only watch this if your suffering from insomnia. 1 hour and a bit of me gong round and round, moving left all the time to get out the way!

maybe watch at fast forward :)

First time i took Raza out, only 4 odd minutes and i was pretty wary especially on the first lap. The sound is pretty crap, first time i've used this camera so not sure if its the camera, the settings or just me.

I didnt realise hed gotten to go as a passenger thats awesome, watching him trying to keep control of the helmet was quite funny :P

You said it was a cheap camera it could have a rubbish mic inbuilt is it in a compleatly sealed case? If so getting a vented version will help (or drilling some holes in yours if your never going to need it to be waterproof) or it may be a setting

YQ3J4430.jpg

Mongo and Redbrick on the fire truck .... I wonder why its leaning so much :whistling:

Paul

YQ3J4443.jpg

YQ3J4448.jpg

Robbie missing a cone  :drive1: 

Paul

YQ3J4404.jpg

YQ3J4412.jpg

The Taliban was out in his Skoda :popcorn:

Paul

YQ3J4420.jpg

YQ3J4415.jpg

Chris out for a drive before the real fun starts

Paul

Whats going on with your bonnet robbie? R888 causing a bit of chassis flex

Good point aid, will have a look online otherwise I'll just drill a hole/holes.

With regard to mongo I can quite graphically show how much of a difference he makes.

Look, normal passenger, not too much roll.

_JEN2729_zps4az9kc1o.jpg

Then mongo. My poor tyres.

_JEN3228_zps7eqsebgv.jpg

Thanks for those pics paul, awesome.

Edited by irf

Awesome couple of hours thanks guys! Shame I had to go back but it restored my faith in the 306 which had felt a bit rubbish at Anglesey last time out. Even with no 5th gear it went ok over the 40+ laps I managed.

As ever, the best track day of the year for me. It's great having passengers (the poor buggers) -just doesn't happen at other events I do. Massive thanks Ashok!

this is a bit boring but I will post it anyway so you can all take the p155 :)

https://youtu.be/mg8HkmMhVds

Paul

_JEN2530.jpg

My first run out with Tez's mate God I love this car

One of my laps with Tez's mate (sorry, forgot your name!). Camera recorded upside down!

_JEN2530.jpg

My first run out with Tez's mate God I love this car

Was Tez-inbot?

Got home a little while back, really quiet run up the road, managed it in about 5 1/2 hours without any drama.

As some of you know, I suffered another mechanical problem this year - coolant loss from the water pump. Fortunately it happened at the end of the day so I did get to enjoy the track in the nice weather that Ashok arranged for us.

Thanks to the extremely kind and generous people of T5D5 my car was repaired on Saturday morning so that I could make it home today. Special thanks to Chris, Tim, Ashok, Morgan and to the staff at City Motors. Without your help it would have been a different end to the weekend for me.

Mongo likes this