pyaap

Feedback on 2016 Track Day and Meet

18 posts in this topic

As usual, I'd like to not only have constructive criticism, but also know what worked so that I can build on and hopefully make improvements in all areas, for future events.

It all worked swimmingly for me!

Only a couple of muppets not paying attention to the track etiquette and overtaking rules, namely the Kings 850 (as usual) and the Mr2, whoever that was.  But the lack of non club people on track seemed to cut that sort of thing down a lot.

The pizza van is excellent.  I just wonder if there is a better, more efficient way of serving people their food (like pre cooking a shed load of pizzas?).  It's ok if you get there early, you only have to wait 20 minutes, but if you hit it at a busy time your screwed.  

The pizza van is excellent.  I just wonder if there is a better, more efficient way of serving people their food (like pre cooking a shed load of pizzas?).  It's ok if you get there early, you only have to wait 20 minutes, but if you hit it at a busy time your screwed.  

I understand what you are saying as Ben suggested it as well. They have no way of legally 'hot holding' food above 63 degrees. I think they just aren't about that, it's fresh pizza made to order and the wait is part of the 'experience' lol  I waited a good hour for mine but having seen the queue I was prediciting it.

I certainly wouldn't want a burger van as an alternative!

I'd be quite happy to cater for you all if you all clubed together and purchased me an XL Big Green Egg  :whistling:

http://shop.biggreenegg.co.uk/

I think this year was pretty perfect, not having our parking taped off or a bunch of caravans arriving half way through certainly made the day easier, just some constructive feedback.

Some drivers in the 'City support cars' were horrendously slow, I understand for some it was their first ever lap on a track but could stick to the edge of the on track on the fast bits and try to keep above 40?

Queuing, never any longer than 5 min's which isn't a problem, could they not let more cars on track at one time?  Seemed to always be very quiet on track, perhaps I was going at a good pace where I wasn't being caught or gaining making it seem empty.

Thanks to Ben at Shark for lunch, the Pizza was delicious, I waited 30-40 min's as 10 or so of the marshals, photographers and other officials jumped to the front of the queue, although this was announced at the briefing all coming at the same time was frustrating.  As Andy stated I much prefer this over a burger van!  So not a complaint as such.

We gave constructive feedback on the orange photography last year which was much improved however I cannot help but notice something about the setting, nearly all of the images are zoomed right into the car, perhaps having more track in the background would be a suggestion as some images look like they could be in the car park?

The meet at Tony's new business Kings despise the distance was a good idea, they have great facilities, staff and doughnuts! the drive over was nice and half the time google maps states!

Thanks to Ashok, Simon and Tony for a great few days, look forward to 2017.

yep same as above, all went spot on! (early night helped that i think! lol)

pizza wise, could they not cold per prep say half a dozen pizza's of each flavour though? so all they have is the 5 mins cooking time??... then again I'm sure they will have thought about all before and are doing what works best for them.

With nothing to compare against - being a pre coombe track day virgin - all I can say is it seemed to go very smoothly, track never felt crowded & the free instruction from the old boys was brilliant for us novices.

Facilities were good - got my pizza in early doors, think I may have been the first! - but it looked manic at lunch time, so def room for a bit of a rethink on how mealtimes work however the quality was great.

Everyone was very friendly, managed to avoid any idiots on track if there were any - as others have said- did witness the BMW going arse backwards into the tyre wall but they had seemed pretty sensible up until that happened.

Passenger laps were best part of the day for me - so muchos thanks to all who took me out, still grinning now Tim's & Andy's laps.

Wants a go in the fire truck, which I somehow missed out on.

Day flew by, so perhaps dabbling with space-time to slow it down a bit so the day lasts longer?? 2017 seems a long way off!

Cheers, Morgan

I can't think that there's anything that obviously needs attention, it seemed to work pretty well to me.

The wait for a pizza is the only minor niggle but I'd be hesitant to change the catering. You're getting a freshly made product cooked to order and the delay is the price you pay. You could easily end up with some other catering who offered an inferior product and still couldn't cope with demand.

Sorry I couldn't make it to Kings, hopefully one year this car will get to the end of the day without needing surgery...

I'd just like to have a working car to take out on track next year :lol:

I'd just like to have a working car to take out on track next year :lol:

You usually have a working car to take out, it just breaks as soon as out there :lol:

Funny you say that as I had to call the AA out to me on the way home :lol:

As far as feedback goes, Pizzas are amazing, I had a 50 min wait, but was told, and got 2 sessions on track in between and quality of food is worth the trade off of delay especially compared to usual trackday food. Only real gripe was lack of cars on track, where 2 or 3 would come in and nothing going out then all of a sudden several let out at once. I probably queued more than most due to fact that my clutch wasn't happy at getting hot so did lots of fairly short stints (about 15 sessions in Puma and 6 sessions with other people IIRC).

All said, one of best trackdays to date and as a general rule (with the  exception of the soarer) driving etiquette was really good, Robbie was kind enough to lift off a bit and let the smog clear so I could pass with a clear  view :thumbsup:

As said I think this was the best year to date so far.

Letting the fire engine out on track is a genius idea. Could we not have a police car to chase or be chased by?

Only had one problem getting by someone which was the mr2 but had raza with me so didn't push to get past at all. Felt sorry for the z3 guy, seemed like he was going really slowly and then still somehow went off the track. Personally don't have an issue with people going off, it's a track, you're there to push it, sometimes won't work out.

I know this would be a headache for you but could we not extend the hours at all? We got rid of the lunch hour which is fine but then went from finishing at 5 to 4. Personally, if it was possible I'd like it to be 8-5 instead of 9-4. The day just goes so quickly.

Also, I know you mentioned another track was a possibility but seeing as this track day is on a completely different level in terms of friendlyness, is it not possible to just go to different tracks every year. Or every other year?

Edit. Can we disallow any tyres being donated to Robbie, it's no fun if he's actually keeping up with you.

Edited by irf

Just briefly touching on some points:

• "Slow" drivers - this is unfortunately an issue when there are mixed levels of driving expertise BUT I expect everyone to still continue to abide by the same rules as everyone else; it's not a race.  Everyone has to start somewhere and we had a very high number of newbie track drivers last Friday, all of whom were very complimentary of the track etiquette and patience that everyone else had - IMHO that's something to be proud of!
  • Drivers not getting out of the way - I hate to sound like a broken record, but if I'm not told about such issues on the day itself, I can't act on them immediately.  Please, please, please come and tell me on the day and I will do something about it.
  • Fresh Orange Pics - I will provide feedback again before the next event.  Jen is always willing to take on board what people want.
  • Pizza - I'm really going to have a long hard think on how this can be improved but I think it's gonna be difficult.
  • Number of cars on track - noted and will be fed back to circuit staff
  • Track Time - it has to either be 9-5 with a break for lunch or 9-4 straight through.  Every single track day I've been to is the same and we cannot have an 8am start.
  • Other tracks - have already looking into this but I think the benefits of having it at Combe probably outweigh the cons, e.g. price of hiring the circuit, use of facilities, proximity to Bristol (for technical support if things went wrong) and others.  There's no reason why we cannot tag on to events by another TDO at other times in the year in order to try out other circuits.

Thanks for all the feedback which is very much appreciated - please keep it coming!

Bloody brilliant Track day couldn't be any better imo' didn't get hold up snap had to wait awhile but ok and worth the wait.

Car Fantastic 'me driving it getting better with a massive smile on my face.  

Saturday night piss up great apart from the pole dancing joint were me and Blackbeast had on pint thrown over us when a kid smacked a bouncer and I left shortly after .

Fantastic weekend can't wait for next years :).

I've attended every track day so far and watched them grow into a great day for all. This was my 1St year on track and I really enjoyed it. Everyone was polite passing me with only 1 person perhaps getting alittle close and 1 person taking a bit long to move over, but after a friendly chat I found out we were both track day Virgins which explained it all. I don't think anything really needs addressing.

Bloody brilliant Track day couldn't be any better imo' didn't get hold up snap had to wait awhile but ok and worth the wait.

Car Fantastic 'me driving it getting better with a massive smile on my face.  

Saturday night piss up great apart from the pole dancing joint were me and Blackbeast had on pint thrown over us when a kid smacked a bouncer and I left shortly after .

Fantastic weekend can't wait for next years :).

Blackbeast and Pole-dancing joint being mentioned in the same sentence?? Surely not!  :lol:

Really glad to hear you guys enjoyed yourself!!  :thumbsup:

Sadly, we got there late (my fault), but am glad I was able to make it at all, after such a cr*p year health-wise.  However, really enjoyed every second.  Agree with adieu, gets better and better.

The pizzas were delicious - worth waiting for.

The BMW that went backwards was owned by a very nice guy who works for Volvo Assist - he visited us recently to get my car battery going.  It was being driven by his son at the time of the accident, I believe.

Enjoyed giving irf a kick up the backside, literally  :pmsl:

Enjoyed the banter with everyone, as always.

Enjoyed the meet the next day at Kings Motors - although we had been there before, on the way back from CC, as Tony had very kindly stayed open to fit my car with a new battery.

All-in-all, a brilliant two days, and already looking forward to next years.  (Will be running out of space for my stickers soon  :doh: )

Thanks again to everyone, from the both of us  :)

Hi Guys

Well it was my first track day for twenty+ years and enjoyed it, the whole weekend was awesome.  Put some faces to names and met some really cool people. 

My track skills were very rusty but got into it towards the end and then almost ran out of fuel. (bought fuel canisters now).  I stopped doing track days because of muppets in bangers who could not drive, ignored track rules etc. 

Had so many close calls I did not want to write my pride and joy off so gave up. My Volvo I love but is only my work horse, I’d still be gutted if it got smashed up.

I found the driving excellent, I was rather slow compared to some, but I made sure I got out of the way of others (I think I was overly nice).  I did ignore the red flag, but I think that was a newbie error, just getting back into it.  I've also bought an open face helmet to help vision. So that will not happen again I hope. The only thing I could say is it would have been nice to meet the group before the briefing.  Maybe 5 mins before and introduce each other type of thing.  Only small but would welcome any new members etc.  That would have been hard as everyone was franticly doing something. 

Overall it was the best run track day I've ever been on, some slow cars on track but was not a problem.  Sorry to Ashok again, when I met him I thought he was just the track doctor until after I read the name on the suit.

I can’t wait for the next.

shortbloke likes this