Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rogerb

V70R auto to manual gearbox swap

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have got a 1998 V70R auto.

That needs a fare bit of work on it

The question I need to ask my self is auto and standard , or manual and more focused fast road car.

I am thinking about making it in to a manual.

Question 1: is do I need an external slave cylinder set up to use a solid flywheel and 850r clutch? Or can I use a later internal concentrate type ok.

2: I know the drive shafts are different, but it appears from my searches that you can use the 4 speed auto drive shafts, can any one confirm this.

3:the car will be used for daily use, has any one any experience with a Quaife dif? I think the gripper type is too hard core for the use I will put the car to.

Thanks Roger

1 you can use any gearbox, I would use an internal slave box and DMF clutch with a DMF replacement flywheel.

2 use manual turbo shafts as the auto shafts are very weak.

3 everyone's perception of what's acceptable is different so experiencing for yourself is wise, I'm biased as I use a Gripper because it works far better and is acceptable in everyday use.

Thank you for the reply Tim.

So basically a new DMF will be fine , with a bit of extra go.

I will not be going too far with the tuning as a, I can't afford it. b, it needs to be

Driveable in traffic and long journeys. But a bit more go is fun.

Roger.

A DMF with an internal slave gearbox will give the smoothest drive and lightest pedal for the torque handling.

Just an update.

I have got a gearbox, and all the stuff to go with it such as loom, ecu , pedals, turbo , down pipe off a 1998 V70R. So comes with a M59 box . I read that these are not quite as strong as the M56, but as not a track car should do for a while.

Does the drive shaft based LSD on these have much effect, assuming it is not knackered?

The DMF seems ok and with in spec and free movement. So I will probably follow Tim's advice and stick with that. If the worst comes to it then I can change it later, but easier driving in traffic would be nice.

Roger