Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Volvov70rr

High tide in my drivers footwell

11 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I happily strolled out to my 1998 p1 V70r the other day ready for work to find my drivers footwell  with a good 2 inches of water in it!  It had been raining hard so my initial thoughts were the sunroof drains..  Anyways I sponged the water from the foot well and ive since been driving round with the heater on and the windows down to get rid of the wet dog smell.

I removed the a pillar cover thinking I would find a pipe and a connector, as per the various youtube videos I have watched mainly on the newer models as there was nothing on the p1.  However I didnt find the pipe or the connector.  So I pushed down into the drain a soft wire and then poured water into the sunroof tray and it seems to drain fine.  Anyways thinking it was fixed I was happy.  This morning after a good rain storm I have come out to a spongy carpet with water underneath, so a squelchy sound....  glad it was not the pond I had before but now thinking where are you coming from???

Can anyone offer any advice on where the drain pipe is as I couldnt find it in the a pillar?  also is that the problem?  Door seals seem find, drains under the bonnet all seem clear...  Im thinking that I managed to reduce the water by tinkering the the sunroof drains so is it still that...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul.

Hello, my leaky foot well continues to baffle.  I have cleaned all sunroof vents, cleaned drain pipes off front cowling, I noticed the one from the fuse box was blocked, but others are clear. I have taken up the foam and im getting clear water after rain. 

The car is parked on a light angle so the water is draining to the front drivers side.  I ran the hose but was unable to see any water coming in.

Can anyone offer any advice??

My next thought is to remove the cowling but I dont know how easy this is with the fuse box in the way and if im going in the right direction?

Cheers Paul. 

Hello, my leaky foot well continues to baffle.  I have cleaned all sunroof vents, cleaned drain pipes off front cowling, I noticed the one from the fuse box was blocked, but others are clear. I have taken up the foam and im getting clear water after rain. 

The car is parked on a light angle so the water is draining to the front drivers side.  I ran the hose but was unable to see any water coming in.

My next thought is to remove the cowling but I dont know how easy this is with the fuse box in the way and if im going in the right direction?

Cheers Paul. 

Hi, I know that you're having an issue with water in the driver's side however I thought that I'd share an issue that I had with with a car a few years ago!  I had an issue with water in the passenger foot well on a phase two, on investigation I found that the hose that evacuates the air conditioning excess moisture had come off the pipe going through the bulkhead filling the footwell and rear of the car with a lot of water.! The initial thing you do of course with finding condensation in a car is to put the heating on full blast, of course if the hose is loose the air conditioniing waste water will just cascade back into the car making things worse!

Thank you, I didnt think about the aircon, I have been using it as it was recharged a few months back.  Are you able to point me in the direction of where the pipe is?  I checked a pipe that goes down into the centre column with a rubber plate over it and that was all dry and seemed well sealed.    My only thoughts would be that I ran the aircon last night on a 2 hour journey  and is dry in the car....  Only seem to get wet when it rains.

Last night I took the wipers off and removed the cover round the bottom of the windscreen hoping to see lots of muck....  clean and dry..  I put some water in there and it drained fine at both ends.  

Advise on the aircon pipe would be much appreciated as I just dont know where to go after that...:-(

Cheers Paul. 

Hi, I know that you're having an issue with water in the driver's side however I thought that I'd share an issue that I had with with a car a few years ago!  I had an issue with water in the passenger foot well on a phase two, on investigation I found that the hose that evacuates the air conditioning excess moisture had come off the pipe going through the bulkhead filling the footwell and rear of the car with a lot of water.! The initial thing you do of course with finding condensation in a car is to put the heating on full blast, of course if the hose is loose the air conditioniing waste water will just cascade back into the car making things worse!

Thank you, I didnt think about the aircon, I have been using it as it was recharged a few months back.  Are you able to point me in the direction of where the pipe is?  I checked a pipe that goes down into the centre column with a rubber plate over it and that was all dry and seemed well sealed.    My only thoughts would be that I ran the aircon last night on a 2 hour journey  and is dry in the car....  Only seem to get wet when it rains.

Last night I took the wipers off and removed the cover round the bottom of the windscreen hoping to see lots of muck....  clean and dry..  I put some water in there and it drained fine at both ends.  

Advise on the aircon pipe would be much appreciated as I just dont know where to go after that...:-(

See below!

Edited by IC

Hi, it's probably best to check underneath the carpet on the passenger side to ensure that that it's not wet as well as the driver's side by pulling the carpet up taking off the undertray and trim around the door to lift the carpet up. If the air con pipe has come off the bulkhead pipe there may be evidence of water going under the front seat through the heating vent pipes to the back carpet as well. I've just done a search on leaks into the cabin and found a few possible suggested causes (I haven't looked at a Series One bulkhead air con pipe, however if you peel the l/h carpet  back it will be quite obvious where the pipe join into the bulkhead is if you haven't already found it!) Here's a link:

Edited by IC

Thank you.  I have seen the video and I did pull the trim off to search for the pipe...  However it must be in the pillar as its not between the pillar and trim like the newer model.

I checked the aircon drain and took it off, blew through it and it seems clear.  I dont get any water from the bottom when ive run the aircon which i think is unusual, however after running the aircon with this hot weather ive checked under the carpet and no signs of a lot of water, ive got a little still in the foam which is not drying out very quick.  but generally its fairly dry.  I think we have rain coming tonight so that will be the real test i think....

I can then start to rebuild the car! lol

Cheers Paul.

ive done a little more investigation and ive been running the aircon consistently,  Im now starting to think there may of been a number of factors as im getting water come from behind the black plastic pipe that feeds the rear from the heater, the foam was very wet...  I dont understand that if the aircon drain pipe was clear when I blew through it where this water is coming from in that area...  i cant see that it would be coming from the back as the seat mount would stop anything travelling to the front.  Also there seems to be no other water in the other footwells..

I think tonight I plan on blowing water though the drain pipe to see what happens...  thats my last resort...  otherwise in the hands of volvo dealer. 

As an update I have stopped any rainwater coming in, we had a good shower last night and nothing.  Yesterday morning I put a cable tie on the aircon drain hose where it meets the nipple into the centre console and now ive started seeing water coming from the bottom of the car when ive stopped or im pulling up which I didnt have before.

All being well the issue is resolved and I dare say replacing the rubber hose would of done the trick. 

As an update I have stopped any rainwater coming in, we had a good shower last night and nothing.  Yesterday morning I put a cable tie on the aircon drain hose where it meets the nipple into the centre console and now ive started seeing water coming from the bottom of the car when ive stopped or im pulling up which I didnt have before.

All being well the issue is resolved and I dare say replacing the rubber hose would of done the trick. 

Result :)