Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s70t5chris

C30 T5

46 posts in this topic

So I've gone and bought a C30  :D   

The reason being, whilst I still love the Accord, and it's been a fantastic car to me, and predominantly my track car, A: I fancied a change and B: I've spent a lot of time and money making the accord possibly one of the best examples around, they're becoming quite rare these days, especially in this condition and mileage, and the way sort after car prices are going it's POSSIBLE that in a few years it might be worth something, so with that in mind, I'm thinking it's getting near the time to hang up it's boots.  I will probably do a few more track days in the ATR, if just to use the remainder of the R888's  :D  But before too long, it's just gonna live under a cover until it's worth a million dollars  :D  :D .  So the C30 is it's replacement.

I considered all sorts of things, another Type R, Meganes, Golfs/Sciroccos, etc...  But ultimately it would be nice to stay in the Volvo circle, and I haven't had a Volvo for track use for 3 or 4 years now.  The C30 seems an ideal choice, it's basically a Focus, no-one has a bad word to say about the Focus (apart from the image) and there's plenty of parts and tuning options, plus in our circle it's still something a bit different!  After a quick chat with everyone's favourite Volvo mechanic I decided it was the way to go, so started looking. 

I found a little gem.  An '07 with 44k on the clock, in my favourite colour scheme(!), a genuine non-fucked with little motor, for the bargain sum of £4,500.

Here she be:

2tvuL9.jpg

exc8zx.jpg

The car just feels like new, quiet, tight, smooth, just lovely.! So I started speaking with Timothy about how I could fuck it all up  :D   Initial plan, was do the block mod and usual stage 1/2 type mods, see somewhere around 275-300hp, and that would be that.  Well that went out the window after about day 2.  So I started buying parts  :D

kixAdP.jpg

RS Spark plugs

FRYefp.jpg

RS injectors... you can see where this is going....

xOrbB5.jpg

DeatschWerks fuel pump

I5GQGq.jpg

Chav filter, as per Tims advice I'll have you know! C30 airbox set up is utter gash apparently!

FAzaTD.jpg

Oh fuck, there it is. RS Borg Warner K16  :rolleyes:

qedJ2z.jpg

RS rods & pistons

FCBNYS.jpg

Do88 Intercooler (sorry for the shite picture!)

3OYnhN.jpg

Do88 IC pipework

kJS4sP.jpg

Do88 intake pipework

dmsTpL.jpg

Dreamscience rear anti roll bar.  Don is all out of IPD's  :(

LWgDPu.jpg

The obilgatory BC Coilovers!

Also bought and paid for a full Feritta Turbo Back system from Mr N, which he's dropping to Tim's for me  B)

On top of that lot Tim will supply me with a gripper LSD, lightweight flywheel and one of his modded S60R clutches, among a few other bits and bobs.  :thumbsup:

I just want to sort out some 17's (for tyre choice & cheapness), and that's pretty much the plan!

Will be nice to see the end result of this and I do like the the paint but, no offence intended, I'm not keen on that 2 tone lower colour.  Loving the new shiny go better and faster parts.

I recall looking at the C30 D5 and it's a decent wee little car so yours should be something a little mad no doubt.

I decided I wanted to do a track day with the car big standard, see how it got on.  So I booked up Brands Hatch with a pal in his CTR.

Before going I had and oil change (Shell Helix Ultra 10w60), brake fluid change (ATE superblue, or whatever it's called now), and put the RS spark plugs in (which cured a little miss it had around 3000rpm).

So, how did it get on....  Well, there's much room for improvement!  The suspension is horrendous, the brakes are shocking and the tyres are laughable :lolbang:   But she did good, the car was faultless, and these things were to be well expected!  The brakes were the worst part, but I knew from driving on the road that they were terrible.  The only redeeming factor is that they didn't get any worse or shitter whilst on track, they just stayed as they were.  So I'm pretty confident that with ST calipers (that Don has kindly donated to me :thumbsup: ), a set of 320's & XP20's, the brakes should be more than enough to cope with my heavy right foot :D  Otherwise it means investing in some sort of big brake kit, but I really don't think it will need it, and I'm not bothered about any sort of bling factor with this car.

Here's some pics from the day :

AJNPyK.jpg   

RZjfm5.jpg

NDcIyO.jpg

lYqLXi.jpg

myol0O.jpg

I4C80y.jpg

kkaBC3.jpg

USrJFb.jpg

hyTkPN.jpg

uhhZuY.jpg

BhbAI4.jpg

EzVLgJ.jpg

FsDROk.jpg

Will be nice to see the end result of this and I do like the the paint but, no offence intended, I'm not keen on that 2 tone lower colour....  

Some people have no taste  :lolbang:

It is a proper marmite colour combo for sure, but it's always been my fave   :D

It should be somewhere in the region of 375-400bhp when it's all done, so it's gonna be a bit of a beast!

On a side note, the track day at Brands was fucking mayhem.  Loads of race teams that "weren't doing testing" but clearly were, and it was just so busy 35+ cars out on track at a time (indy circuit), overtaking where you liked, the blue lights were just on all the time regardless.  It actually felt like I was in a race most of the time!!  Quite a few incidents occurred.  A few occasions where cars collided with each other, and a young lad rolled his CTR over!!!  He escaped unharmed luckily!

vpPmpd.jpg

Although I'm not surprised, he was a typical boy racer, and he had barely legal AD08's on the front and the wrong size ditch finders on the rear! 

Some people have no taste  :lolbang:

Err, everyone has taste, you just have bad taste  :pmsl:

Your power goal coupled with the small dimensions of the car and mods should make it an entertainer no doubt.  Put me down for a passenger lap at Combe 2017.

Err, everyone has taste, you just have bad taste  :pmsl:

Your power goal coupled with the small dimensions of the car and mods should make it an entertainer no doubt.  Put me down for a passenger lap at Combe 2017.

Of course mate  :thumbsup:

this is gonna be a bit of an animal cant wait to see it finished

On a side note, the track day at Brands was fucking mayhem.  Loads of race teams that "weren't doing testing" but clearly were, and it was just so busy 35+ cars out on track at a time (indy circuit), overtaking where you liked, the blue lights were just on all the time regardless.  It actually felt like I was in a race most of the time!!  Quite a few incidents occurred.  A few occasions where cars collided with each other, and a young lad rolled his CTR over!!!  He escaped unharmed luckily!

vpPmpd.jpg

Although I'm not surprised, he was a typical boy racer, and he had barely legal AD08's on the front and the wrong size ditch finders on the rear!

Was gonna ask what brands was like but that pretty much sums up what i thought it would be like

This all sounds pretty bloody good Chris, look forward to jumping in for a ride at Combe or the ring.

Have to say, I've never enjoyed brands Indy, track being the size that it is, you never get a clear lap and being the polite type you just end up stuck behind someone cos they don't want to be overtaken. In my experience at least.

Keep this thread updated will you?

This all sounds pretty bloody good Chris, look forward to jumping in for a ride at Combe or the ring.

Have to say, I've never enjoyed brands Indy, track being the size that it is, you never get a clear lap and being the polite type you just end up stuck behind someone cos they don't want to be overtaken. In my experience at least.

Keep this thread updated will you?

I shall try :doh:  

Top work fella & I like the colour....but are you the reason once again I can't get hold of Tim this week!?! My clutch (via exploding csc) is flucked on the V70 & I was hoping/promised to get this in for a bit of coalville love next week but he's gone AWOL. It's really not on Chris......

...but I'd like a pax lap too :)

For once, not guilty!! All my vehicles are safely tucked up in Southampton!

If I can sort the rest of the dosh I need to complete it, the plan is for it to go to tims early part of the new year to get done. In plenty of time to do a couple of track days before ring/Combe.

Great choice of car, probably not going to be the cheapest track day build but I hope it will be coming to the ring!

Best of luck with the build, looking forward to the updates! Look's like you'll be doing a lot of passenger laps at combe :lolbang:

Great choice of car, probably not going to be the cheapest track day build but I hope it will be coming to the ring!

That's the plan mate

I Had not seen this I had been in Hospital for a few days Congratulations Chris

Again making an A1 car to sell back and forth between you and Mo for the next round of upgrades lol

I quite like these, look forward to seeing your progress and hopefully the car next year sometime.

Looks great! Where you going to have it mapped?

I must say I like the colour combination. I was thinking about a Focus ST recently and it was only the other day Tim mentioned that they're basically the same car, and thinking about it, I would much prefer one these.

Edited by Muhammad

Looks great! Where you going to have it mapped?

MTE is a possibility after speaking with Don, or most likely Shark.  Failing that what ever Mr W recommends! 

Nice track day choice Chris I’ve always fancied the C30 T5 over the Ford ST or the Mazda 3 MPS.

So good luck with your new project  :thumbsup:

Will keep an eye on this as I've always liked the looks of the C30. I personally can't fault Shark as they did my S40 and I've had no issues (although it's quite tame compared to how yours will turn out!)

Will keep an eye on this as I've always liked the looks of the C30. I personally can't fault Shark as they did my S40 and I've had no issues (although it's quite tame compared to how yours will turn out!)

Yeah Shark did a custom job on my S60R, their work is very good in my experience. 

Nice track day choice Chris I’ve always fancied the C30 T5 over the Ford ST or the Mazda 3 MPS.

So good luck with your new project  :thumbsup:

Thanks Gary.  

A 3 MPS was another consideration.  I've always fancied one.  But when it comes to tuning I know very little about them.  With Tims knowledge on the ST/C30, it makes perfect sense, and it's still something a bit different.  And it's nice to back in the (track) Volvo fold!

Sensible choice the C30 T5 is  :graduate: and as a side note Chris if you do Brands full day OPL again book it with MSV and not Javelin who being cheaper always go OTT with car bookings on track IMHO.

It's going to be a very quick motor with it being a fair bit lighter than most Volvo cars, Look foward to seeing it.