VT5

How much can expect to pay for this repair

21 posts in this topic

04 V70 d5 auto...crank seal as it's leaking quite bad between the bellhousing and engine I know the seal is only £15 but it's the labour involved. So far though there's a few mechanics won't do it.

Many won't want to do it as its an automatic gearbox.  Best option, is ask a Volvo dealership or independent to get a baseline price.  Also you will need fresh specific OEM Volvo gearbox oil which, for the 5spd auto boxes is around £180 with our club discount.  This isn't a job I'd trust anyone with.  You're into £200 in parts before labour is concerned.

FWIW, I'm having mine done on the S70R by Tim in the new year.   

I know it's probably because it's auto but it's the same procedure in stripping as a manual is it not, just that it's an auto plus there's no flywheel and clutch to replace. I know what you say about not trusting just anyone but what do I do when the guy I've used for the last 7 yrs won't do it...who do I trust then..

Who's Tim?

Edited by VT5

Tim Williams... he's our resident forum mechanical guru. People travel from far to him. Drop him a private message.

Failing that it may be worth asking on a more active forum such as http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/ if anyone can recommend a garage closer as there are quite a few Scottish members on there.

Edited by DSK

Sympathy re. your issue.

Crank seal as you know is cheap but a fellow on the VOC forum had his box out 3 times because he didn't use the special tool to insert it. It seems it holds the lip in the correct orientation as opposed to risking a possible lip reversal thus rendering the work a waste of time.....so if you find a garage capable and willing but don't have this tool, get it!

Your box requires JWS3309 spec oil and not common or garden ATF, and you don't need to waste your money with Volvo to attain it.

Manoil (Germany) sell it the cheapest but proceed with caution as they also do a NON synthetic flavour of the 3309, you need the fully synthetic, also Toyota do it at half Volvo's exorbitant prices as they use the same box, can't recall what they call it but it ain't JWS3309, something like TI-V from memory, many other brands exist of this oil and all you need is the spec...JWS3309 FULLY SYNTHETIC, it could be branded Tesco or Pound stretchers.... doesn't matter one iota as only a couple of companies make the stuff and sell it wholesale to big big names with an industrial label maker.

Also of critical mention is a core plug/gallery seal on end of block which is to the R/H of the crank looking in, this is a £5 part and next to no labour to fit whilst in there...they often leak.

You are correct that a box is a box is a box, same but different but same labour and procedure to extract, almost.

Any garage that shuns this job are not worthy, simply try and get a recommended one, preferably a Volvo independent who will have the correct crank seal tool.

It's 6-8 hours labour for a competent outfit but get a QUOTE which is clear about exactly what you are getting done, inc. that little plug. 

Finally, for a few more measly ££££s have them fit new driveshaft seals, a 10 minute job.

Good luck 

4c

Edited by 4candles

Many thanks 4c for explaining all that :)

Yes I read I need jw3309 but didn't know it was f/s I need I also didn't know there's a special/certain tool you need or it can be more/less a waste of time. Only thing is if the 2 people that say they might do it, if they have this tool, if they don't what will they use to fit it as I don't see them buying it for a 1 off job.

I can get the oil and seal to make at least I've got the right stuff but as for the tool...where would I get it?

Reply given in your other post.

You know, I wouldn't fret over the tool, if a garage is willing to do the job it's their responsibility to ensure it's done correctly, and of course it can be done without, just needs caution and experience.

So, to get you on your way the costs will be....

1. 6-8 hrs Labour
  2. Seal x1
  3. core plug x1
  4. driveshaft seals x2
  5. Gearbox oil http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATF-JWS-3309-Toyota-ATF-T-IV-T1V-Aisin-Warner-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-5L-/371711619574?hash=item568bbd31f6:g:~78AAOSw0UdXsvBm, I believe only 3.5-4.5L will actually be needed, the level upon filling is quite critical, the box needs to be c. 80deg when reading the level so best the garage get the level correct in the first instance and measure exactly what comes out, then they pop in the same quantity of new, give or take. Simples.

So what are we looking at ££££ wise, won't be much change from a £500 note @ £60 hourly rate, could be £600.

Edited by 4candles
DSK and VT5 like this

4C good link to the gear oil!!  That's some saving over the Volvo price!

5 hours ago, 4candles said:

Reply given in your other post.

You know, I wouldn't fret over the tool, if a garage is willing to do the job it's their responsibility to ensure it's done correctly, and of course it can be done without, just needs caution and experience.

So, to get you on your way the costs will be....

1. 6-8 hrs Labour
  2. Seal x1
  3. core plug x1
  4. driveshaft seals x2
  5. Gearbox oil http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATF-JWS-3309-Toyota-ATF-T-IV-T1V-Aisin-Warner-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-5L-/371711619574?hash=item568bbd31f6:g:~78AAOSw0UdXsvBm, I believe only 3.5-4.5L will actually be needed, the level upon filling is quite critical, the box needs to be c. 80deg when reading the level so best the garage get the level correct in the first instance and measure exactly what comes out, then they pop in the same quantity of new, give or take. Simples.

So what are we looking at ££££ wise, won't be much change from a £500 note @ £60 hourly rate, could be £600.

Again many thanks 

I was looking at this stuff, good or bad..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112134660382?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

16 minutes ago, VT5 said:

Again many thanks 

I was looking at this stuff, good or bad..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112134660382?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That doesn't meet the  JWS3309  fully syn specification advised by 4C.  Its vital to ensure the oil spec meets  JWS3309 fully syn is met.

When a full drain-flush-fill is done on these automatic gearboxes, we use approximately 12 litres of this fluid.  So, if buying in 5ltr tubs, then having 3 of them giving you're garage 15 litres to play with should be sufficient.

EXOL's JWS 3309 is about the cheapest option.  

This shows typically how much I've paid, albeit from Volvo for the stuff Mobil's JWS 3309

7 hours ago, 4candles said:

4. driveshaft seals x 2

All I can find is seals for manual not auto.

This chappie doesn't fuQ about, take his word as Gospel.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165658

Whilst you may need 15-20L to do a full flush of the box this isn't your concern presently, let's presume your box is working fine and the fluid is pinkish brown colour then you need only concern yourself with what capacity will actually drain out in order to facilitate removal of the box, and for those wondering why it actually needs draining go to the back of the class and think about it..

If you wish to purchase 20L do so, and use the remainder to do a few sump dumps over the next 2-3k miles, this is good for the box as a few litres of new fluid acts as a cleaner and after maybe 3 dumps ALL the fluid will be pink, but the point remains, you will only drain out 3-4 litres, there is another method called 'Gibbons' which involves hacking into the cooler lines to let the box oil pump do a full flush. But all this is just getting bogged down in something that is only relevant in a HOW TO about gearbox flushes. BTW the new capacity of a box is c.7.2L but half of it remains in the TC.

Order seals from Volvo, the auto is different for shafts also.

Happy new year

4c

Edited by 4candles

For a mobile mechanic charging £400 for replacing the crank seal which includes all parts ie oils ect 

Pardon? Did we miss something? Did you miss lunch & are having a sugar low which is making you a bit grumpy?

The OP was a bit vague - no details of the vehicle type, service history, any other additional work for the mobile mechanic whilst he's got the subframe dropped & gearbox out - I've assumed it the RMS....can you see where I'm going with this.....

You'll find this forum a very helpful place....but you get out what you put in & you'll notice a general lack of interest to a daft, or poorly, phrased question. HTH. 

Cheers, Morgan 

It's like overhearing the end of a conversation between two people!

and I said " your not forking putting that thing in my ear hole".....ahem

The original thread is here (crank seal leaking on a 5spd auto T5)

I haven't replied as I wouldn't know if the job isn't right under what conditions and time an issue would be seen (obviously if its not immediately apparent).

Dusty likes this

Topic has been merged - Admin