T5ABC

Ignition barrel jammed

5 posts in this topic

Right, absolutely ridiculous problem.. Got back into the car at the petrol station and the key would only insert into position one. Positions two and three are mechanically locked out and the key will not budge more than the first position. So, car has been recovered to my driveway by dragging it on and off the recovery truck (car was stuck in park) which seemed really bad. 

Anyway, I've tried grease, spray lube to no avail. Obviously there has been a mechanical failure with the tumblers or similar. Has anyone ever had this and sorted it out? Terrible timing.

Thanks, that seems to be the exact problem. I'll try that first as it'll cost me nothing!

Probably new ignition barrel required I'm afraid - it's a common issue with the P2 platform.

Even on the off-chance you somehow manage to free it off on this occasion, it will happen again and probably when it's in an even more inconvenient location!  Admittedly the remedy on the posted link is well worth a go!!

T5ABC likes this

This happened to me (at a petrol station too!). I took a gamble and forced it, it clicked and has been ok since. When I got home I sprayed some dry lube in the mechanism and on the key and repeatedly web from position 0 to 1, it smoothed out after a few turns.  I didn't want to remove the bottom plate so i count myself lucky!