Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vino187

New member with a cracked bloxk ;(

24 posts in this topic

Hi guys. Joined up as my S60R seems to have a cracked block. Was hoping to discuss options with Tim Williams but cannot find cotact details for him anywhere. It seems a struggle to find a block for these cars.

Oh dear. Try sending Tim a PM. Even if you can't as a new member he'll probably see this post & send you one.

Welcome along & hopefully you'll get your R woes sorted.

Cheers, Morgan

15 minutes ago, shinsplintz 101 said:

Oh dear. Try sending Tim a PM. Even if you can't as a new member he'll probably see this post & send you one.

What, a whole 'bloxc'? Blimey, alert the postie:D

Well spotted.

Edit: Tim won't 'post' you an engine. He will hopefully spot this thread & send you a PM.

Postie can go back to his bacon sandwich now & just fret about nasty dogs instead of worrying about lugging 200kgs of finest Swedish aluminum up the garden path.

That's not good news what's it doing , large water loss ? , Is the car stock or got a Remap.

It has a Rica remap. The car suddenly started using/losing all its coolant. Thought it was fixed as we found a split in the lower rad hose but its still doing it after replacement.

My mechanic has said he thinks the head gasket has gone but after reading up it seems far more likely that it is a crack in the block. Will be opening it up next week to find out whats happened but its hard to source an block for these cars.

Its been a great car for 8 months but now gone kaput.

Anyone got any ideas of best plan to repair?

Assuming that you do have a cracked block then you have the option of fitting a used 2.5l 'R' engine that will undoubtedly pop too due to the software that you are running or, the route taken by most here is to fit a 2.4t T5 engine that is identical in all respect except it narrower bore, and related small pistons. That post MY '04 engine is bomb proof.... but you will need software to run it.

Don.

Edited by don kalmar union

Thanks Don but surely the smaller block and pistons mean less performance? Can the R block not be repaired?

Edited by vino187

In standard form with an MTE remap from Don you'll see just about 330 bhp from a 2.4 T5 V/S60. With some supporting mods the same map will give you another 20 or so bhp. 

The 2.4 doesn't suffer with the split liner issue.

Really? I'd have thought the R with a remap would kick out more than a T5 with a remap? Sounds promising if so. So no way of repairing a split block in the R? Anyone got any good aources for a T5 bottom end etc? Does the rest of the R top end marry up fine with the T5 bottom end and pistons? So many questions.

Thanks again guys.

Edited by vino187

Others on here will be able to help you with the technical aspect of your query re cylinder head swap..

I have a T5 2.4 with remap  (MTE from Don) and a few other bits and the car has done about 120K+  on the remap and putting out about 330 bhp without a single problem.  In making the R engine that little bit larger then it has weakened some aspects of the block in relation to cylinder liners and the supporting block around them.  The 2.4 although not so apparently 'sporty' is stronger and therefore more capable of reliably exceeding the out put of the R block when modified.

Thanks for your help. Is it literally just a case of having to get the bottom end including crank, piston and rods and this can then have the R head put on? Is there anything else required?

Anyone?

Pretty sure the 2.5 R head is identical to the 2.4 T5 head. So a straightforward lump swap should be fine.

I think it's the ancillaries & map (plus extra 0.1 displacement due to bore size that's different. 

Sure someone else will come along shortly to either confirm or shoot me down:dontknow: :whistling:

Cheers, Morgan

Map is fine, happy to go see Don  for a remap if required but just need to know for certain what I need to get  to get it sorted. Thanks again.

I'll chime in with my 2c worth of what I know!  Just so you know your not being ignored.

You really need to have a conversation with 'pyapp' and Tim Williams, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

Depending on how bad the crack is it can be temporarily patched up but won't last, far better to shim the block before it happens but hindsight is a wonderful thing.  I have a 2.5R bottom end in my 850 and it can take some abuse when shimmed.

AFAIK 2.4 T5 lump is a drop in.  Don from Kalmar Union has an MTE map available for S60R/V70R with the 2.4 T5 conversion.  Possibly Shark have a map as well.

Worth speaking to Don and Shark while you are waiting for a response.

Good luck and hang on in there,

Thanks guys. Still would be helpful to get hold of Tim for a chat. I don't want to piss loads of money on it as this was meant to be my "cheap" work car. How much is that sleeving process?

I need a solution pretty pronto. Unfortunately a £4k-£5k car is too much to scrap and everything else on the car is spot on. Typically I did £200 on a pair of Pirellis the day it went.

Edited by vino187

Hi, sorry for the slow reply, I've sent you a PM. A 2.4 is a direct fit depending on the year or it can require water pipes and PCV parts, all are standard Volvo parts.

Where abouts in Bucks/west london are you?

Thanks guys. I am near Beaconsfield.

Cool, I'm not too far away (near Amersham). I've owned 3 S60Rs in the past, at various stages of tune, would be good to meet up :)

3? Thats commitment to the cause. Yeh would be good to have a chat.