Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muhammad

Something a bit different...

5 posts in this topic

I was in two minds about whether to replace the freshly painted bumper on my 850 T5 with an R one, and in the end, I couldn't justify it. Instead, I decided to do something different than the usual R bumper route:

splitter_zpsn8qifkag.jpg

It's a front splitter from the old Volvo V90. It was originally dark green, and extended beyond the 850 bumper at either end. So some slight tweaks with a grinder, a good rub down and several coats of black plastic bumper paint, and I think it looks pretty good (if you can ignore the state of the rest of the car!) :) The paint job is not perfect by any means, but from normal viewing distance, it looks great.

Total cost: £50 inc. splitter delivered from a breakers and materials from Halfords / eBay.

An R bumper, painted professionally, would've been north of £400!

Edit: before you ask, the grille will be getting replaced with the correct coloured one!

Edited by Muhammad

Looks fairly standard, although it looks so clean you need to get the rest of the trims restored!  Any other plans with this one?

Yeah, tell me about it. Never ending with an 850! Or... I can just let the splitter get dirty :)

No more plans as such, just gonna see where it takes me. It's been my daily for the past 2 months or so and it's a hoot to drive, so don't really want to mess around too much with it. Next on the list is the front grille and tidy up some misc interior items.

I like it. Always nice to see something a bit out of the norm.

Glad to see the old beast is still on the road. How are you getting on with the blue interior? I loved it - others not so much :doh: - eye of the beholder & all that.

Whats happened to the Porsche?

Cheers, Morgan 

15 hours ago, shinsplintz 101 said:

I like it. Always nice to see something a bit out of the norm.

Glad to see the old beast is still on the road. How are you getting on with the blue interior? I loved it - others not so much :doh: - eye of the beholder & all that.

Whats happened to the Porsche?

Cheers, Morgan 

Initially, I wasn't really feeling the blue interior and was immediately on the look out for an R interior. Don't get me wrong, if I do come across a decent R interior, I might be tempted, but its a big job and not sure that I can be bothered. I did think about just swapping seats over, but I know that the mismatch will just get to me and I'll want to do the whole lot.

The blue interior is growing on me and I think all that's really bothering me is the drivers seat support. I may end up just getting the front seats refurbished and I think that'd be most of my issue sorted. Also some decent floor mats (don't like the rugged rubbery type ones it currently has).

As for the Porsche, it comes out to play now and then :) Will be using it more when the weather improves.