PhilTheGasman

Remapping a high mileage T5

25 posts in this topic

Ok, simple question. I have a 1998 v70 T5 (auto) been very well looked after and serviced and drives like a 50k car but its done 204k I see alot of people in the past have gone for a remap to 305bhp, am I being silly to even consider this for a high mileage car? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you done a leak down test and compression test?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am guessing it is a ME7?  If a stage 0 has been done and no issues are found I would say go for it. Depending on your mileage and driving style you may achieve major component failure/wear sooner.  My 2.3T5 engine has just expired at 207k lol.  It was mapped at about 120k.

Ryan

Edited by s40rch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, laggys40 said:

Have you done a leak down test and compression test?

Not yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, s40rch said:

I am guessing it is a ME7?  If a stage 0 has been done and no issues are found I would say go for it. Depending on your mileage and driving style you may achieve major component failure/wear sooner.  My 2.3T5 engine has just expired at 207k lol.  It was mapped at about 120k.

Ryan

No not an me7 as far as I know, Its a 1998 car. My driving style is very old man like, i ll only put my foot down when I really need to, but seeing as your engine went at 207k i ll probably give it a miss for the expense involved in remapping! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should probably explain, my car was taken to the very limit of a standard factory engine, It has probably done about 100 laps of the Nurburgring across 6 trips, countless laps of castle coombe and many hours of mapping experimentation.  If your car is a m4.4 (cable throttle body) then Tim could turn it up a bit making it not only faster but more responsive and more fuel efficient e.g. around town and when cruising. Of course given that the servicing and condition of the engine is up to scratch.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, s40rch said:

I am guessing it is a ME7?  If a stage 0 has been done and no issues are found I would say go for it. Depending on your mileage and driving style you may achieve major component failure/wear sooner.  My 2.3T5 engine has just expired at 207k lol.  It was mapped at about 120k.

Ryan

This imo

 

yes it may lead to a failure before it would have otherwise but if the engine has been well maintained and not regularly thrashed then i wouldnt stress too much about it and you will get to enjoy it in the interim plus 2.3/2.4 bottom ends arnt that expensive now if it does fail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, s40rch said:

I should probably explain, my car was taken to the very limit of a standard factory engine, It has probably done about 100 laps of the Nurburgring across 6 trips, countless laps of castle coombe and many hours of mapping experimentation.  If your car is a m4.4 (cable throttle body) then Tim could turn it up a bit making it not only faster but more responsive and more fuel efficient e.g. around town and when cruising. Of course given that the servicing and condition of the engine is up to scratch.

Cheers

Ah ok! Well I don't know alot about how the car has been driven in the past but judging by its condition its not been abused at all! Who is Tim? Think I may need to have a chat with him! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your car has the later Bosch ME7 ECU, fly by wire throttle etc., then I can offer you MTE's well received, Swedish written software calibrations which I have on offer presently at £355 including VAT. You install this yourself using MTE's Softloader as an interface between an XP laptop or one operating in XP compatible mode and your car's OBD port. I loan that against a fully returnable deposit of £155.

This software will give you enhanced outputs of  275bhp with 420nm of torque.

If you have the earlier model with Bosch Motronic 4.4 ECU then I cannot offer anything and would strongly agree with others that you should buy an alternative from Tim Williams.

Don.

PhilTheGasman and s40rch like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a quick look at the engine today engine code is b5234t3, not had a chance to look at the ecu but as I could'nt see any throttle cable of any description anywhere I m guessing its an ME7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you top your power steering up on the inner wing by the coolant it's most likely  ME7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the black front grill badge indicative of 4.4 and the blue badge of the me7? Or is this not a definitive way of telling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, V70D5 said:

Isn't the black front grill badge indicative of 4.4 and the blue badge of the me7? Or is this not a definitive way of telling?

Yes but after almost 20 years quite a few have had grill changes. If he's not sure what to look at entering his reg on Eurocar parts or a good companies site will bring up if it has a distributor cap and rotor arm.

V70D5 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, PhilTheGasman said:

Had a quick look at the engine today engine code is b5234t3, not had a chance to look at the ecu but as I could'nt see any throttle cable of any description anywhere I m guessing its an ME7.

If there is no throttle cable then you have an ME7 which is more likely on a 1998 model as this is when they switched.  Post a pic of your engine bay, the winner sells you a re map lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Engine bay pic coming up when I get home! I looked on europarts for the distributor cap and rotor arm for the stage 0 the other day and it does show them, but ultimately a pic will solve this one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before remapping it you ought to replace the ECU box air intake pipe with the rape tape on it. When they fail the coolant hose rubs on the aux belt.

PhilTheGasman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant, thanks for all your help chaps, I ll do a few little jobs on it and then its mapping time! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So apart from the air intake pipe and stage 0 to carry out are there any other worthwhile mods to carry out before getting it remapped? Things like injectors etc? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new standard Turbo Control Valve would be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tim Williams said:

A new standard Turbo Control Valve would be good.

Its on the list, pipercross panel filter a good bet too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2017 at 6:51 PM, PhilTheGasman said:

Its on the list, pipercross panel filter a good bet too? 

Nope.  A new standard filter is more than good enough. Use the cash you save to replace it more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, don kalmar union said:

If your car has the later Bosch ME7 ECU, fly by wire throttle etc., then I can offer you MTE's well received, Swedish written software calibrations which I have on offer presently at £355 including VAT. You install this yourself using MTE's Softloader as an interface between an XP laptop or one operating in XP compatible mode and your car's OBD port. I loan that against a fully returnable deposit of £155.

This software will give you enhanced outputs of  275bhp with 420nm of torque.

If you have the earlier model with Bosch Motronic 4.4 ECU then I cannot offer anything and would strongly agree with others that you should buy an alternative from Tim Williams.

Don.

Hi

I also have a high mileage ME7 T5, it has an 18T, a filter and a Milltek exhaust.  I believe the standard cat may be dying so I'm thinking may be a downpipe would be in order as well, would this remap work for me or should I be looking at something more specific?

Andy

Edited by rs_andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2017 at 10:57 AM, s40rch said:

If there is no throttle cable then you have an ME7 which is more likely on a 1998 model as this is when they switched.  Post a pic of your engine bay, the winner sells you a re map lol.

99 Model year which is the important bit...

98 Model year would be 4.4

When a car is registered is a complete different ball game, I saw a 53 plate V70R 4.4 on ebay a while back  that had not been registered for 5 years after manufacture!

 https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_70.shtml is a good way to see what was fitted from the factory :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now