Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shortbloke

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Superseded

19 posts in this topic

Hey Ashok did you notice that they are getting rid of Super Sports and replacing them with Pilot Sport 4S.
No longer have the Boxster but have a different car now and just replace Continental Sport Contact 3 with some new PS4S. Putting new summer/performance tyres on during cold icy mornings sounds crazy and it probably is. But I'm amazed by the stability and grip compared to the worn conti's.
I'm only 300miles in but so far feel way better. Can't compare them to the Older Super Sports, but looking promising on the grip front. Hope the wear rate is as good.
So now maybe a good time to get deals on SuperSports as they offload stock, they are still a great all round tyre IMHO. Or of course if thinking of getting any SS, maybe think again and get PS4s.

More info: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-S-Press-Release.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, heard about these a couple of months back and they're supposed to be quite a bit better than the SS - only unfortunate thing is they're only being launched in a 20" and larger size so seeing as I need 18" tyres, I will probably have to get Sport Cup 2s and see how those are!

Check the link for current sizes. I got mine in 255/35/19 so starting size at the moment is 19". But still to big for you ;-)

In the past I've managed to justify winter and summer tyres, but so far resisted trackday tyres (and slicks). But if you are familiar with how good the SuperSport were for grip and wear, then if that sort of thing is what you are after the PS4S is hopefully better which is just crazy (unless they only last 5k miles)

Ah, my mistake, I'll check just in case they are planning on releasing some 18" tyres soon then.

I have 26 Pegasus Alloy wheels in total so having separate summer, winter and track tyres isn't a problem.....:lolbang:

I've heard that preliminary tests for the PS4S is that they offered better performance and longevity over the PSS, so if true will make them quite spectacular!:drive1:

shortbloke likes this

9 hours ago, pyaap said:

I have 26 Pegasus Alloy wheels in total so having separate summer, winter and track tyres isn't a problem.....:lolbang:

And I thought I was bad! You are the Imelda Marcos of Volvo wheel ownership.

I don't have that many of the same model, but also adding up (I'll restrict to Volvo vehicles only):

4 BBS CK 007 19"

4 Pegasus anthracite 18"

4 Pegasus 17"

5 Volans 17" 

4 Odysseus 18"

4 Comet C (7.5jx17")

4 Medea (18" S40/V50)

4 Adaro?? (17" S40/V50)

4 Heico Volution V 20" - XC90

4 ETA Beta Tettsuv (20" - xc90)

:D

Edited by Manuel

Last year my collection got to a ridiculous 32 wheels for just 1 car, WTF.

4x steel S40 wheels, scrapped

4x Ares S40 wheels - these have new tyres and need to go!

4x p1 t5 wheels (cannot remember the name) - sold

6x 7j comets

4x 7.5j comets

4x titans - returned to Tim with bald r888's (originally from Andy which had them second hand)  which then Tim did a ring trip and then coombe on another members D5 lol

8x 18" TD pro races

Where on earth do you lot store so many wheels. I struggle enough with one extra set in the garage with all the kids bikes and other family paraphernalia.

46 minutes ago, s40rch said:

4x titans - returned to Tim with bald r888's (originally from Andy which had them second hand)  which then Tim did a ring trip and then coombe on another members D5 lol

My D5 I'll have you know :D

Anyway you dick, BALD!!!  WTF! :mad:

I left them with Tim last year with plenty of tread for this years fun and games :cry:

You'd better learn to drive better and treat your tyres with a bit more TLC  :wanker:  :lol:

Edit: should have added, I've got something like 44 pairs of wheels for the bikes plus 4 sets of wheels for the barge. You think you've got storage problems :rolleyes:

Edited by RobbieH

Alright alright calm down. :blink: They were on the legal limit when given to Tim, when they were taken off at the ring they were below the wear markers, still fine for plodding around coombe in.  I think its a testament to Toyo that their tyres last.

I sold a few sets. I need another of these racks though. 12 TD 1.2's 

%5BURL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/apurnell1970/media/D5/F78FA290-ECDE-4174-9E0E-ADE20EB224AD_zpsjjjipife.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/apurnell1970/D5/F78FA290-ECDE-4174-9E0E-ADE20EB224AD_zpsjjjipife.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

Edited by Redbrick

So Photobucket links don't work anymore...

F78FA290-ECDE-4174-9E0E-ADE20EB224AD_zps

That link you posted was all kinds of messed up? I normally copy the direct link and then put [ img ] tags around it always seams to work - although the forum turned the link into the picture when i pasted it so maybe thats a new feature

That racking does look ace though, accumulating wheels seams to be a volvo trait i need to get rid of at least 8 wheels as ive got way more then i need too

Edited by tingy
Redbrick likes this

Andy, I like your setup and looked at getting something similar myself, but for me it was more expensive as meant getting rid of my up and over garage door to replace it with a roller one to give me enough free wall space. But still, that's just 4 spare wheels/tyres. Ashok has 26 wheels, Manuel has 41 and Ryan has 34, where on earth can you store that many sets of wheels. 

You lot have more spare wheels than Mo's had cars, now that's impressive!

I only mentioned the Volvo related car wheels... Still have the ones for the Mini and the S2K ;)

I do have a property with a 65sqm garage, around 100 sqm as basement plus a few couple 100 sqm oustide space ;)

shortbloke likes this

22 hours ago, shortbloke said:

Andy, I like your setup and looked at getting something similar myself, but for me it was more expensive as meant getting rid of my up and over garage door to replace it with a roller one to give me enough free wall space. But still, that's just 4 spare wheels/tyres. Ashok has 26 wheels, Manuel has 41 and Ryan has 34, where on earth can you store that many sets of wheels. 

You lot have more spare wheels than Mo's had cars, now that's impressive!

That was just showing the rack and spare tyres!  The other TD's and winter wheels are stacked on the other side of the garage.  I have shifted 8 17' Pegasus and 4 18'' Nebulas in the last year or so. It appeases the wife although she has now developed a certain addiction to Irregular Choice shoes so I don't feel so bad.

The wheels I have are ALL for work so it doesn't count... It's a rubber fetish I'm afflicted with, winter tires, all season, low rolling resistance, road legal trackday tires, wets and slicks.

4 Volans

19 Titans (I'm slowly disposing of these)

16 Pegs  (replacing Titans:rolleyes:)

Martin you don't need to change your garage door, I can get a shipping container dropped on your drive.

shortbloke likes this

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:24 PM, shortbloke said:

where on earth can you store that many sets of wheels. 

I have a shared 250sq/m for parts, this is kept at a constant temp to keep the tyres within there recommended storage temperatures.  I then have another storage facility for meth, this is well away from any dwellings so suitable for meth storage.