Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s60t5

S60R boost issue

13 posts in this topic

Soooo the car in question is Chris's old S60r 2.4 with an Owens development 19t turbo.

My issue is I'm only getting 0.5 bar of boost instead of 1.4 bar. I can drive the car up the street with it boosting fine then all of a sudden it disappears. I can turn the car off and on again and it magically appears then can disappear at any time.

I've been advised that it could of been the tcv, I've since changed that with no resolve to the issue. I've recently put a snabb cold air intake pipe on and noticed the maf is quite oily, could that be the issue? No codes via a generic code reader and nothing on the dash. Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1 minute ago, Muhammad said:

Do you have access to VIDA?

Unfortunately not.

I'm assuming the R's have a map sensor mounted on the intercooler pipe like on T5's,if so,I would try changing this as it caused the same kind of boost issue for me

Are you sure the mar-turbo pipe is fitted correctly on the compressor housing?  You can clean the MAF safely with electrical contact cleaner as it leave no residue.

Would be worth checking all vac pipes and that the TCV is plumed in the correct way if you haven't already.

Has it thrown any fault codes? Failing that plug it in to VIDA

Thanks for the replies gents. I've checked all the pipes, it was doing this before I changed them over.

I've cleaned the maf this afternoon and I'm about to put it back in at some point this evening. I'll test drive the car tomorrow and pray that it's sorted. Failing that, it will be going to a professional next week.

I'll update as soon as it's resolved.

cheers.

Little update.

I replaced the maf (second hand) no change, new BPS, new FPS, new TCV still no change. 

New question? Would a very slight leak in the radiator cause this issue? I noticed it whilst I had the bumper off doing a fluid change. It's been 4-5 weeks since I've changed it and I've put 200ml water in the tank last week.

I had this issue for a very long time on my T4. I would be driving and it would boost up to 1.35bar (mapped and exhaust etc) then occasionally it would have no power and peak boost was 0.5bar - A simple restart of the car sorted it. It took ages to fault find, as the car kicked up no codes. I replaced the ICV, TCV, MAF, MAP, VVT solenoid, VVT pulley even had a brand new turbo (not due to that fault though).

In the end it was the lambda sensor (pre CAT) that was causing the issue on mine. It got very bad after a few months and limited boost happened a lot more, then one day I started it up and it was stuttering all over the place with the EML on - It kicked up a code for the lambda sensor - Replaced that and had months without it ever happening again.

Do you get uneven idle after it limits boost to 0.5bar? I used to be able to recreate the issue after rolling down a hill with no throttle for a while, come back on the throttle and it had limited boost. 

EDIT: Give the ICV a clean/replace with a second hand part. It's another simple thing to rule out.

Edited by Alex121

Hi Alex, it sounds like I have the same problem as you did then. Yes I have uneven idle all the time, more so when I've been kicking the ars out of it. Also on part throttle picking up speed the car can have a moment when it feels like I've taken my foot of the accelerator (boost pressure drops for a second) and then is fine the more you put your foot down this also happens when the car has full boost potential.

Give the ICV a go first and see how that goes 

Edited by Alex121

This issue is now resolved!

It was a one way valve that lives behind the intake manifold. Finally have a fully working car, although being an S60r I'm sure something else will pop up in no time at all.

Thanks for all the input and of course thanks to the legend that found it.

DSK likes this

There are 2 one way valves if one has failed the other one probably isn't too far behind. Vida could possibly have shown a maf fault code and that usually means the one way valves are leaking.

9 minutes ago, antony S60R said:

There are 2 one way valves if one has failed the other one probably isn't too far behind. Vida could possibly have shown a maf fault code and that usually means the one way valves are leaking.

Good shout with regards to the other one. I'll be getting one ordered tomorrow. Thanks.