Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lolz88

Help! Timing Issue (my fault)

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

My name is Mike and I previously had a bad oil leak (in late December).  I discovered that it was coming from the front camshaft, and so I bought it and replaced it.  The main problem I am having is that I didn't understand that the camshafts are not marked in any way or only a one-way fit... so I didn't mark them at all when I was taking them off.  I've tried to adjust them, spin them (and by now it's about the 4th time I've tried to rotate them), and I think there are only about 9 different ways that they can actually fit onto the car (3 holes in each of the two pulleys- 3x3=9). 

A few questions that I have are is this a one-person job (can it be done alone), is there any quick and easy way to do this (since I am beginning to get really frustrated trying this), and is there any more information that I need to finish this job?  I feel like I'm getting nowhere.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.  :-)

Once removed the only way to put the pulleys back on is bu locking the cams at the other end of the head. 

You must have the crank timed up correctly and insert the cam locking tool on the other end of the head. Do not attempt to start the car if you haven't locked the cams when timing up or you can bend the valves. 

When i day locking the cams cams I mean locking the cams not the pulleys. 

There are pulley alignment points on the upper cam belt cover but these can only be used if the cams are timed up correctly.