Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gregs T5R

Tuning bible for prolonged track use

14 posts in this topic

As some of you know I have been on a massive journey over the years with tuning my car and have had to look at lots of things that have affected the car when on track. High crank case pressures accompanied by high oil temps and low oil pressures. All of which till now I was only able to theorise about.

Here is a really good read and some brilliant and simple solutions for Track use with our cars.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjoy4SJqoTSAhVoKMAKHdheCKAQFgghMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2F928motorsports.com%2Finstallpdf%2FChallenges%20When%20Racing%20a%20Street%20Vehicle%20-%20Session%20I.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGXsMg03We-vpMggBYthwliv4supg&sig2=AeExOqkTQyfC8HkQmyxdGw

Cheers Greg

40 minutes ago, Peter68 said:

Well  done Greg

I found the article to be very informative.

The link did not lead me on to the 2nd lecture about Engine Tuning etc. 

Following on from your excellent links I have attached the  'follow up' second lecture :-

https://www.928motorsports.com/installpdf/Challenges When Racing a Street Vehicle - Session II.pdf

Thanks I cut and pasted the wrong link thanks for saving me there lol 

Cheers Greg

nice I'm going to need more time to read through all that!

The link that Peter posted is the one to read!

Working out from the lecture notes Series 1.

If the driver can loose 3.9 Stone (55 lbs)  of weight then that is an effective power increase of 5 BHP in the car.

Does the Forum have a recommended diet for members :-

ie. reduce some foods ( pie and chips)  and with a change of diet ( lettuce and fish salad)  then there is a potential improvement in MPG and a power gain.

Gregs T5R likes this

On 10/02/2017 at 10:30 PM, Peter68 said:

If the driver can loose 3.9 Stone (55 lbs)  of weight then that is an effective power increase of 5 BHP in the car.

ie. reduce some foods ( pie and chips)  and with a change of diet ( lettuce and fish salad)  then there is a potential improvement in MPG and a power gain.

Ah the advantages of weighing less than a Volvo driver B)

On 10/02/2017 at 10:30 PM, Peter68 said:

I've heard this advice given before, albeit in the context of a bike racing masterclass by Niall Mackenzie. It was along the lines of; the single thing that you can all do in order  to go faster is lose weight. It's something I'm having to consider myself just now, but I'm really attached to my traditional diet. Beer, pies, crisps, chips, deep fried anything..... :D

When I was 63KG I had to "adjust" a junior carting seat so I could fit in it, I'm sure with a diet I could of so why not fit a carting seat to the Volvos?

For the same reason i gave up on the idea of bucket seats in the volvo i have to be able to drive it to the track, around all day and then home from the track and still be able to walk/stand up straight

if its a trailered to tracks then go for it surviving crashes is for pussys anyway :P

2 hours ago, Tim Williams said:

When I was 63KG I had to "adjust" a junior carting seat so I could fit in it, I'm sure with a diet I could of so why not fit a carting seat to the Volvos?

A karting seat? You're having a laugh surely? Do you not remember when certain people on this forum tried to sit in the bucket seat I had in my Volvo! They sat on it, certainly not in it.

Rather than worrying about seats :-

7 hours ago, Tim Williams said:

Alternatively leave your wallet with a trusted friend . That should lighten the car substantially.

Fat people aside the Second PDF which talks about engines that suffer from windage clouds and oil sloshing up in to rotating parts. I believe to be one of the the main problems with our cars on track. The S60R sump is better baffled but there is still nothing to stop the oil sloshing up when high turning forces and braking and acceleration is involved. Which this covers and also goes on to the other problem with our cars Crank case pressures there is a very clever way of releasing some of that. Another thing that caught my eye was the cracked piston which was exactly what happened to my 2.3 engine and more or less says it was down to a combination of bad mapping and crank case pressures and blow by. But it really does prove all the sumps in our cars a not very good for track use.