Project Sierra November

17 posts in this topic

Project Sierra November

Or

Don`t buy an Explod that's from Scottish police

So what did I do wrong lol

I bought a 2005 Scottish police explod

Cost of car £1k

Came with an MOT that was only done in august 2016 with 141k on the clock shortly after decommissioning from plod

I bought the car in October 2016 with 142k on the clock

She spent the first 5 years of her life as a pursuit car and clocked up 124k between 2005 and 2010

After that she was sent to the Scottish Police Training School where she racked up only 17k between 2010 and June 2016

I have the service history direct from Scottish Police to back this up

Seeing as she didn`t do a great deal the second half of her police life it would appear she was mostly parked up and left to deteriorate

Drove her for a few weeks then the faults started to arise

Power steering pump whining like a bitch

Clunking from front end and knocking from rear end suspension

Noticed boot floor kept getting wet after it rained

Central locking stopped working and remote functions went with it

So I made the decision to take her off the road and have a good look at her all over

So a few pics say a thousand words

This is the N/S rear below the REM

The hole is were a rubber bung should be

SDC11525-min.thumb.JPG.51c0751010ab5feabb0afc40de4f2f9f.JPG

Rear of the N/S

The darkest patch is were the drain hole should be it was actually bunged up with a trim clip

Obviously the roads in Scotland see plenty of salt/grit

Having a few issues trying to upload more pics due to the size limits

SDC11526-min.thumb.JPG.a3cbf59974e35d771a582fe477bb55e9.JPG

Edited by XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO

SDC11506-min.thumb.JPG.5a4c5231b5abe6df23d82645af2f340d.JPG

Front end up in the air

Resting on 4 tyres and wooden blocks under the subframe

The rear is sat on a pair of ramps with wheels chocked

In this pic the new aircon condenser and replacement screen wash reservoir

The slam panel has been scrapped and a replacement sourced as the original had more holes in it than swiss cheese

New parts fitted in the engine bay include

New Intercooler , New over engine charge air hose , Complete air filter housing and mounts , New expansion tank , Set of 5 injectors , 5 coil packs , New rubber charge air hoses , Complete PCV system has also been replaced

And a damn good cleaning of other parts

Cam and aux belts along with water pump and all tensioners also done even though the car had only done 20k since the belts were last changed

The engine is in good condition and a compression test was done before I even started to do anything

The front suspension has been completely replaced with New shocks and springs , New top mounts and rubber seats , New wishbones , Drop links , Track rod ends and ball joints as all the original components were completely shot (MOT August 2016 done by a blind man I think)

The whining power steering pump fault was traced to a leak in the N/S steering rack track end the pressure of the fluid leaking from the rack seal had blown apart the steering rack gaiter (And this car was MOT`d in august 2016 with only advisories for front brake discs and coil springs)

So a replacement steering rack was sourced and fitted (Pig of a job)

So onto the central locking and remote issues I think the UEM has failed or lost the keys so to speak so that's gotto go into Volvo to be sorted

I did find that the alarm siren module had been unplugged this was duly removed and opened only to find 1/2 a litre of water inside and the internals well corroded so a new unit was purchased and fitted

This is the O/S rear all removable components have been taken off for a good clean and some parts replaced

She`s had

New rear springs , refurbished nivomat shocks , new tie arms , refurbished lower control and stay arms with new bolts/nuts throughout

The hub carriers where cleaned up and fitted with new hubs , and disc back plates

The inside of the wheel arch areas were cleaned up , treated with rust treatment and then given several coats of smoothrite

The complete underside of the car has been rust treated and then completely repainted with underseal

If you look back to the first pictures that whole section of floor panel has been cut out and a new panel welded in

SDC11555.JPG

Hub carriers with new disc back plates and wheel bearings fitted

The back plates were replaced as the handbrake was iffy and it was only when i`d removed the calipers and discs did I find that the original back plates had rusted away to almost nothing and the handbrake shoes were rattling about in the drum

Also replaced were the calipers both O/S/R and N/S/R with brand new shoes , discs and pads being fitted

Goodridge Braided brake hoses are fitted in place of all the flexi brake hoses

I did have to replace the N/S/F brake pipe with a new one as it was well past it and luckily I found a garage just up the road from me who shaped the new pipe to match the old one as new pipes from Volvo come as a straight length

SDC11560.JPG

Sheesh i didnt think these things rusted that badly

Good effort, well done. 

Makes me think my car has been faultless... 

"Sheesh i didnt think these things rusted that badly"

Me neither but then this is the FORD era build 2005 to 2007

It really was bad and the underside of car was a total mess due to the high salt/grit on Scottish roads

A few more pics

And she's almost ready to return to the road

SDC11561.thumb.JPG.861608cf710262fd151df9adb6c71c53.JPG

And to dispel the myths about what you can swap over between P2 and P2.5

This is an HU-803 Dolby pro logic unit from my old 2001 car along with the CCU the internals had to be swapped over into the old facia the pro logic speaker and amp were also fitted with no issues

The Head Unit doesn`t light up apart from the display but that's down to no software in the CEM telling the car a stereo is fitted it was the same in my 2001 explod as plod doesn`t have stereos fitted unless you buy a P3

I had to make up a small bracket to allow the HU to be bolted to the facia as per 2001 to 2004 cars as the 2005 dash has the bolt holes removed to allow the fitting of the more compact and combined HU/CCU units

The centre console was also swapped over as the 2005 one was butchered by plod

Rear seats are also from the 2001 car and fit with no problems encountered

I was unable to use the front seats as the wiring loom and multi--plug had changed on the 2005 car with an extra wire for the SRS system in the front seats

The steering wheel is a 3 spoke leather job from an 2003 S60 and fits with no issues my original 3 spoke from the 2001 car would not fit due to a difference in the wiring multi-plug yet again

I also swapped over the light control switch as it has the front fog button (Just need to source some front fogs lol)

SDC11571.JPG

Not much left to do now

Just the following lol

Swap over all four doors (gotta use the wiring from the current doors)

Swap over the tailgate

Refit a few various pieces of missing trim external and internal

Re-Bleed the hydraulic system as forgot to do the clutch doh!!!

Get the suspension geometry checked and wheels aligned

And the rear end as it is for nowSDC11568.thumb.JPG.a9ad63145a3a124e72188d8c088faebb.JPG

So spent yesterday trying to sort out the poor braking ability

After several brake bleeding cycles the pedal was still very spongy

So further investigation was required

Turned out the master cylinder seals had failed so new part duly ordered

Thank god eurocar parts had a 30% off sale on

So one brand new ATE master cylinder was ordered at a cost of £158 sovs including next day shipping

Far better than the £350 quoted by Volvo and circa £220 from various other motor factors local to me

Downside had I waited until today to order one GSF currently have a 50% off sale on grrrrrrrrr so would of cost me £110 typical

It arrived nice and early this morning and was duly fitted being a genuine ATE part it came with all the seals and nuts required for refitting

Brakes and clutch where duly bled with a pressurised system and hey presto the barge stops on a sixpence

Just the doors and tailgate to swap over and then she`s off for 4 wheel alignment and jobs a good un