Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coldstart86

Volvo T4 p2 advice on tuning

3 posts in this topic

I posted this on the volvo oc forum but didn't get any replies hoping it might do better here. (sorry if it's in the wrong section)

Hi, I'm considering buying a phase 2 volvo v40 t4 which a mate has had come in on trade, I'm wondering if it could be made into a sleeper. Their's a few questions I have thou, how much power can the engine be tuned to on stock internals. What's the standard t14 turbo good for, before it runs out of puff?

Turbo tuning:
I've looked at past threads, and found a fair amount of info. From what I can gather one route would be to customise a t5 manifold and having the more common t3 fitment. How easy is it to sort out, what else would need to be added once done. The other route apparently is to change the internals of t14 with a big16G compressor wheel, how much would that cost?

Exhaust:
Whats the best size diameter for a custom exhaust and is there any recommendations for a good fabricator in the uk, southwest area. I know of Powerflow etc but I would like to see if there are any better options. Also sport cat or decat?

Supporting mods:
Info on such things as air flow induction, clutch and flywheel, injectors and fuel pump etc...

Any help would be much appreciated as I know little about tuning volvo cars, coming from a jap car back ground. Just to be clear the v40 will obviously be serviced and completely sorted out before I attempt any of the above.

Hello & Welcome

The S/V40 is a fast car when tuned a few members on here have had great results from them. It just all comes down to money!

I am not sure what the standard internals can take but if your looking to fit a bigger Turbo then forged rods would be the way forward that way you don't have to worry about a boost spike bending a rod if a hose blows off.

Pyaap, Mo and Alex are the S/V40 tuning kings on here and will no doubt post at some point with advise.

I once went in Pyaaps V40 which was fitted with a larger Garrett turbo and it was a seriously quick car. Mo used a kkk24 Turbo when he did his build and got about 370Bhp and it had some serious mid range pull.

One thing I would recommend with big power in these cars is a differential they totally transform the handling. 

Welcome coldstart. I come from the jap crowd too. I use to own a 1990 eagle talon tsi fwd 5spd and a 1990 eclipse gsx awd 5speed.  

You have a great platform to work with. What kind of driving is this car going to be put through and what are your goals; 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile, track use, horsepower? Like Gregs T5R mentioned, good idea to get those rods done to avoid the bent rods on boost spike with an approach of tuning the car with a bigger turbo.