yosser

Going racing - what could go wrong???

50 posts in this topic

Holy crap, you don't fuck about do you! Glad you're ok which is the main thing and I do hope you get back out there.

yosser likes this

23 minutes ago, irf said:

Holy crap, you don't fuck about do you! Glad you're ok which is the main thing and I do hope you get back out there.

Wasn't you in front was it :o:drive1:

Gutted for you Nick, but glad you walked away and willing to have another go, onwards and upwards mate:thumbsup:

yosser likes this

Glad your OK fella - car doesn't look too bad considering. Hopefully you'll be back up & running quick smart. 

yosser likes this

Seriously, the main thing is...

are my stickers ok?

yosser likes this

Have you put a sticker on the bottom of the car? Might be a good advertising space going forward :whistling:

yosser likes this

I think you're stickers are fine Chris, I have some spares anyway - maybe I will stick them on the floorpan.... 

I've had a brief message from the guy who runs the car and he says it'll repair no problem, he's starting the strip down tomorrow. 

By hook or by crook I'll be out at the next meeting, I'm not ready to give up yet. 

tingy likes this

5 minutes ago, s70t5chris said:

Great news mate! 

What, that I've got enough of your stickers? 

😁

What's the plan? Buy another st and swap bits over?

28 minutes ago, s70t5chris said:

What's the plan? Buy another st and swap bits over?

I don't think so Chris, this one should be able to be rebuilt. 

A mate who was there yesterday had a good look over it when I was with the medics and he reckons it wasn't that bad. He's been rallying for years and has binned a few cars in his time. After looking more closely at the pics I'm tending to agree. There's definitely panel work to do but, for example, neither of the front chassis legs are damaged. If the suspension is damaged that could be expensive, ast coilovers don't come cheap apparently. 

Anyway, the expert says it's definitely fixable so I'll take his word for it. I might nip over to his unit tomorrow to have a look after he's started to strip it. 

If needs be I'll rent a different car for the next meeting, assuming anyone will trust me with their car....... 

As a drunk scotsman once said; fuck the fuck off! 

V70D5 and shinsplintz 101 like this

Glad to see your eager to get back out there hopefully the repair comes cheap(as can be expected)

And you now know where the limit is on that corner so that should help in future races :D 

Hi Nick bit late to the party but well done for getting on the grid mate, it’s never easy and that shunt must have focused your attention!

Hope the Fiesta is on its toes and good to go next time out mate and that it all goes a wee bit smoother.

:ninja:

yosser likes this

Thanks Gary.

I've been talking to the guy who looks after the car today and he confirms that - although it's had a pretty big shunt - it is repairable and is off to the bodyshop tomorrow, we're aiming to have it ready for the next meeting in just over 3 weeks :o

He made an interesting observation about my accident; he was curious that I've got enough experience of the circuit and I've never made an error like that at that corner so why did it happen? He reckons that it's possible when I had a coming together with another car 2 laps earlier that the steering was knocked out of alignment or damaged and that the car was behaving differently in the turns. It's a theory, and one that makes me look slightly better, so I'll buy it! 

I'll post up this video without giving my take on what happens, I'm curious to see how it looks to others. 

This guy is chasing me, I get the chicane wrong and that gives him the chance to try to pass. 

The drama is at around the 2:30 mark. 

Are you the blue car in front? What did that look like from your car? but that seamed like a big shunt and he wasnt coming accross the track that quick and it seamed like you should still of had space so from that it looks like you punted him off

if you were on the edge of the track and held your line and didnt turn in then fair play raceing incident he should have left you space imo 

but im not a receing driver so i dunno

Yes, I'm the blue car in front. 

He came alongside, I was at the extreme left hand side of the track, his course was to the left effectively squeezing me off. 

We were approaching a right hander, he had no need to move left, if he'd stayed in the middle or the right he'd have made the pass. 

Forcing other cars off isn't allowed, despite what Jason Plato does, and I held position. We touched, he span. 

In his defence, as the video shows, his left hand mirror is folded forward and he had no vision down that side. He's said himself that he didn't realise I was there. 

I feel sorry for him, we sat our Ards course on the same day and it was his first meeting too. 

I don't feel guilty though, I'd do it exactly the same again. 

Yep you didnt do anything wrong then and even with his mirror folded where did he think you had gone? If you wernt in the rear view mirror you had to be beside him

is that what you think altered the steering slightly (great raceing driver excuse btw :p)

It's a plausible excuse so I'm going to use it :D

Fwiw completely agree, not even remotely your fault.

yosser likes this

1 hour ago, irf said:

Fwiw completely agree, not even remotely your fault.

Thanks, I appreciate it 👍

I've been over that incident with quite a few people today, experienced instructors and racers, and they all agree. It's racing, the move might have worked for him but it didn't. 

I shouldn't have allowed myself to have been distracted by it, that won't have helped my focus, but I guess that's down to experience. 

It doesn't look like it was your fault. Well done and hope you can carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yosser likes this

Rubbing is racing...noticed you took a little knock on the OSF as the orange car passed on the inside....plus as pretty hefty shunt soon after from the fella who spun in the same area. Can't have done wonders for the alignment on that side....so reckon you're safe on the wonky steering get out of jail free card:lolbang:

Looks like bloody good fun though. Good luck with the car & keep the updates coming on the next race.

Cheers, Morgan

yosser likes this