yosser

Going racing - what could go wrong???

73 posts in this topic

Well, doesn't time fly.... 

The next race is a week away and I've had word today that the car won't be ready :( - however..... I'm still racing :D

We're going to get another car prepped for race weekend so I'll definitely be out, my entry is in already. 

I'm not sure what'll be in this coverage, but for those who have motorsport TV (used to be motors TV) the first races are due to be shown on Monday. If they don't have footage of the crash I'll be so pissed off, I ain't doing that again for nowt! 

Screenshot_2017-04-29-20-24-18_zpsfg79xr

Edited by yosser
Typo

Its sky channel 447 for those on sky

glad to hear you will be compeating good luck :) i would ask what your ambitions for the race are but i suppose "finishing" would be the answer :P 

yosser likes this

Channel 545 on Virgin :thumbsup:

Yes, I guess finishing is the objective - I particularly don't want to destroy someone else's car, I'll soon run out of people to rent from! 

Just to add to the mix, another staff member at Knockhill is renting a fiesta for Sunday's meeting so all I'm hearing about is this big showdown between us. The pressure is on.... 

Just watched it.

FUCKING AWESOME!!! :pray::pray::pray::pray:

yosser likes this

Cheers Chris. 

I've got to learn not to be so harsh on myself, I see missed opportunities and lack of pace but I guess for my first ever race weekend it was pretty good - apart from binning the car.... 

I'm peeved there's no footage of the crash. That cost me a lot of money and I'm not going to do a retake in a hurry. 

Anyway, testing Saturday afternoon in my replacement car then racing Sunday, let's see what that brings! 

Thanks again for your support and encouragement 👍🏁

Alex121 and Craigyt like this

Just got chance to watch this looks like a great little race series although the coverage could be a bit better how did they miss your crash and 2 cars in fairly heavy crashes and no interviews with either driver tut tut

do you not have in car footage of your crash?

re the first misshap you could have yielded a bit more track but you wernt obliged to and its much clearer to see him come accross on you although rewatching his youtube vid he has pinned a comment that suggests you hit him on purpose is this going to be an ongoing grudge match :P

Thanks for pointing that out about his YouTube comment thing.

I'm clear on this, it was his fault. If I fancied an argument I'd say that by him hitting me he damaged my steering and contributed to my big off. 

However, I just need to concentrate on going faster - that's what this is all about. 

Indeed :thumbsup: 

leave the stirring the pot to the rest of us :lol:

yosser likes this

Sadly not on talktalk, shame they pulled off Freeview couple of years back 

Doesn't time fly..... 

Next race meeting is this weekend and I haven't even posted an update about the last one. 

The last meeting was uneventful, which I guess is good, qualifying starting & finishing in sixth (last of the st class). The crash was actually a little more on my mind than I expected it to be, so getting back in a car (and not crashing it) was probably an important step. 

Unfortunately the car I was in was not as fast as my other car so there was no way I was going to get anywhere. A race weekend without rolling a car was another worthwhile first so I was happy to take that. 

Fast forward to last week.... I've been nagging the boss at work to try to arrange some driver coaching for me. With nothing arranged, and with time running out, I managed to get him to sign me on to a track night last week and we took out the car I raced at the last meeting (with a passenger seat) for a little one to one tuition. 

We didn't have much time, and it was a busy track, but I can definitely see I'm not fast enough. I'm braking too hard and too early, killing the speed of the car. I need to learn to make braking and cornering one transitional action rather than two discrete actions. I also need to man up and just carry more speed, primarily through turn one. 

That said, it was interesting to see that I was a lot faster through the corners than a lot of track day drivers in faster cars. I see the difference between racers and track day guys now :D

Back to the present day.. 

The crashed car got back back from the bodyshop yesterday and will be ready for this weekend. It's a really busy meeting which includes old 90s super tourers (volvo s40 anyone?) so testing is limited. I'm hoping to get out on Friday for an initial shakedown and then out again Saturday to get back into it. Qualifying and racing is Sunday. 

In other news, my entry for Oulton Park on Saturday 17th June is in and confirmed! 

Good to hear your still at it and circulating :)

I dont know how racers do it tbh particularly bike racers, have a huge crash  get fired up in the air then slide down the road then get on a new bike and arrive at the same corner just as on the limit as they were when they crashed i had a moment at the ring on the first day and spent the rest of the holiday avoiding getting anywhere near doing it again is there a special training course for leaving your brain in the pits to go and blitz the track?

Joking apart, the mental aspects of racing are something I need to work on as much as the technique. 

I've done some reading on race specific mind training as well as more general positive thinking and mindset kind of stuff. 

It sort of sounds like a load of tosh, but to be doing this properly you really need to be fully relaxed and not really thinking about it. It almost needs to be a subconscious act. I'm a long way from there, and may not get there in the time I'll have racing, but I do find it quite interesting. 

20 hours ago, yosser said:

That said, it was interesting to see that I was a lot faster through the corners than a lot of track day drivers in faster cars. I see the difference between racers and track day guys now :D

Very true, sadly however you often find racers who use trackdays as test days usually ending up causing endless red flags. At Brands GP trackday there were drivers and cars that should have either been on a test day, or had more respect for fact it was a trackday which would have given everyone about an hour more track time. Nothing more annoying to get out onto track and 1 lap later you do 2/3 of a lap under red flags.

Good luck with next race, and well done for getting back out and persevering mate

I know what you mean, I've been on track nights here in the Volvo and been irritated by the racers using it as testing. 

I did have to make a conscious effort to remember that I wasn't on a test session last week, but it's hard not to just go all out. 

I wouldn't choose to do it again, but it is a lot cheaper than designated test days.. 

Don't worry about that psycho babble, mumbo jumbo, mind over matter tosh.....

Get this soundtrack on your mp3 player & you'll be an unstoppable driving machine. Unstoppable. 

Golden rule: rubbing is racing....

:lol::ninja:

s70t5chris and yosser like this

2 hours ago, yosser said:

I know what you mean, I've been on track nights here in the Volvo and been irritated by the racers using it as testing. 

I did have to make a conscious effort to remember that I wasn't on a test session last week, but it's hard not to just go all out. 

I wouldn't choose to do it again, but it is a lot cheaper than designated test days.. 

Just becomes tedious with same car(s) repeatedly going out, getting black flagged as they were driving as if racing, repeated using druids to all but run other cars off track, or causing red flags by spinning off, it was blatantly obvious from the work and tinkering in the garages and in their support truck they were testing on the cheap.

Time for another update...

The car came back from the bodyshop the Tuesday before race weekend (last weekend) so there was not much time to get it back up and race ready. That said, it was ready for testing on the Friday. Chris, the car's owner, was available that day so it seemed like a good idea for him to take it out for a shakedown first. Over the course of the three sessions we were battling multiple abs issues and also a problem with the cooling fan, but by the end of the day it was pretty much sorted. The Friday sessions were just mixed saloon car groups so I have now had the dubious pleasure of being out on track at the same time as John Cleland in his Vectra touring car. The wee Fiesta is quite quick, but the Vectra passed me like I was going backwards....

Saturday morning had one test session available, so I took that too. Just as well that I did, more abs issues, more fan issues..

Sunday. Race day. 

We were the first group of the day to be on track, qualifying started at 0830. By 0835 the session had been red flagged because of, wait for it, me upside down in a gravel trap..

I lost the back end going down Duffus Dip, probably over corrected, then slid round the lefthander sideways and onto the grass. By this point I'm a complete passenger, looking out of the drivers side window knowing full well that if I make it to the gravel the car will likely roll. Which it did.

Why I lost it I don't know. Cold tyres? Damp track? Fluid on the track? All of the above? Either way, I lost it and failed to catch it. I was unlucky that it rolled, but that seems to be my thing.

I don't really know what the damage is - I just went back to the garage, got my bag, and left. The pub was calling and I answered. It doesn't help that the marshals rolled it back onto it's wheels via the pasenger side, that side wasn't damaged until then. No point in arguing the toss about that though.

So, like the title says - what could go wrong? Rolling the car seems to be the most common answer so far.

I spent the next few days pretty much pissed off and in the huff, not knowing what to do next and whether I should just call it a day. By midweek I'd made a decision, there was only one thing I could really do...... Yes, that's right, I'm going to buy a car instead of renting one and just dig as far into this hole as I can get!

News on the car will follow, it's not clear what car I'm going to buy, I have a couple of options. Hopefully I'll get that all agreed today in time to get ready for Oulton Park next Saturday!!

I think I may have actually lost the plot. None of these decisions are remotely sensible :D

I'll post the onboard of the crash shortly, I'm waiting on youtube to update an edit.

DSK likes this

Ok, here's the onboard. There's no sound, I think I inadvertently set the camera to mute. I didn't lift off, the rev counter backs me up even if there's no sound. 

Also, I've just agreed a deal to buy the car I've been racing (and rolling). I'll be back out racing it next weekend at Oulton Park. 

That only just qualified as a roll. Barely a flesh wound. Not surprised the fella who your renting off wants you to buy it though!! Lol.

Watched it a few times, just looked like you over cooked it a little pushing hard, but you did seem to hit the inside curb heavy on your way through the right hander - did the  drivers side wheels lift off? That may have been why you couldn't catch the spin - only half the rubber on the road!

Keep up the good work - and amusing updates - but in all seriousness I'm glad you walked away OK. We only learn from our mistakes, so chin up & crack on as a proud privateer!

All the best, Morgan

yosser likes this

I actually had to press him quite hard to sell me the car, it wasn't really his plan at all. I had another car lined up, cheaper, but probably not as good. After a bit of thought it was going to work out better paying a little more for this one and not having to pay for another full on body repair right now. The repairs are already done for me going to Oulton next week. I can get it tarted up later in the year if required. 

As for the crash, I actually took less kerb than normal and wasn't pushing as hard as I could. I wasn't cruising, but I wasn't flat out either. I think it's been cold tyres on a cold track followed by an over correction. I've had way worse slides down there at higher speeds and driven out of them no problem. 

I think the one word explanation is inexperience. 

DSK and shinsplintz 101 like this

Glad you are ok fella. A' the best.

yosser likes this

Hope you're ok bud, it looks like a fun corner if you get it right, shocked that it tipped just as it was coming to a halt.  I guess that's the joy of spinning sideways and digging in.  Glad to see you're staying committed, most would have ran away by now.

yosser likes this

It wasn't really a roll, more parking it on its roof! :huh:

yosser likes this