Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Redbrick

235/40R17 road tyres

17 posts in this topic

Well this is proving rather difficult!

Just browsing for some all year round road tyres for the 855.

Have to be 235/40 17 and that is the limiting factor it seems.

Anyone had any experience of Kumho Ecsta KU39's?

Would love some Michelins but smallest are now 18's.

When you say all year round do you mean all season or just good road tyres

i would recommend the AD08R good enough for a lap of the ring so more then capable of handling a good b road thrash, good in the wet and they wear quite well too (also reassuringly expensive :P ) all in a very good all rounder for a "going out for a thrash" car

Ad08's are great, but they aren't all year round. Like most sticky tyres they're a liability in cold weather. 

Slight exageration i feel i wouldn't use them in snow but ive used them in sub zero temps on the D5 and they are fine you just need to make sure they are warmed up which they do a lot quicker then RSR's im running them on both cars and they have never been a liability

I run Vrestein Vorti's in 225/45/17's £50 each, what's stopping you?

225/45/17 wont fit on an 850

On Andy's car 225/45/17s will rub through the bumper, mud flap, arch liner lol and arch on the front. 

6 hours ago, Tim Williams said:

On Andy's car 225/45/17s will rub through the bumper, mud flap, arch liner lol and arch on the front. 

A 235/40/17 will rub through the bumper and arch liner if the wing has been damaged and not repaired properly and will continue to do so till it is fixed correctly :lol::lol::lol:

lol

the damage is done. I have no intention of 'repairing' the damage (until my wings rot out). 

Thanks for the suggestions. The AD08's are £10'ish less than R888R's so that isn't going to happen as I'd spend the money on the R888R's for track. 

Just wish there was a Michelin of any flavour made in my size.  

You should still be able to get Michelin pilot sport 2 or Goodyear F1's in 235/40/17, I will have a look for you

On Camskill the AD08 are £135 each, also Yokohama AS01 S drive for £120 each these are a much more road focused tyre and quite good in the wet, Continental sport contact 5 £112 each (not used them but heard good things) are supposed to be a good tyre. I have used KU39 £74 each which are epic for the price in the dry but come the rain and you will need to start carrying toilet rolls with you.

The AS01 will out perform the AD08 in the wet I know this! but the on a hot day the AD08 will leave the AS01 miles behind.

Failing that I think I might still have 2 Federal RSR's at Tims new? unless he has sold them? you can have them FOC as they are not on any wheels and just to get you buy till to do choose?

235/40/17 is a dying size these days and will be phased out for road but not track!

Cheers Greg

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A are £146 each and on par with Michelin pilot sports 2

Do you plan to start using the 850 a lot more? e.g. in the wet?

I have a spare set of comets if you want to borrow them running the correct sized tyres 215/45/17.  Although you will probably find decent tyres are more expensive than RSR's and probably less grippy - even in the wet being 20mm narrower...  I never had a problem with RSR's in the went, only standing water when they were worn below 4mm, but most tyres are.

Solution - R888R's, they seem to be stable in the wet with the new tread pattern.  However in the winter I wouldn't keep them outside as the minimum storage temp is about 3C.

51 minutes ago, s40rch said:

Do you plan to start using the 850 a lot more? e.g. in the wet?

I have a spare set of comets if you want to borrow them running the correct sized tyres 215/45/17.  Although you will probably find decent tyres are more expensive than RSR's and probably less grippy - even in the wet being 20mm narrower...  I never had a problem with RSR's in the went, only standing water when they were worn below 4mm, but most tyres are.

He runs P2R rear calipers

Edited by tingy

215 tyres are prolly the best solution though you just need to find a 7j wheel that will clear

For summer use I'm using 235/40/17 R888R. With the wet weather now I'm using 215/45/17 R888R. 

Try Roy one of my V70 wheels to see if they will clear your rears, they may with 5mm spacers. Volans need 20mm spacers to clear your rear brakes. 

Credit, Neil pink 855R.