Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BenStrickland

7 posts in this topic

Afternoon All,

New to the forums however, i have been to 2 of your track days at Castle Combe, haven't been for a few years, i came along with Ryan Hussey.  This year i will driving my car on track, its just a shitty saxo with a few minor mods soon to be done to it.  Never done a track day before so don't know what i need to prep the car with and also what do i need!

Current upgrades for the saxo will be as follows:

206 GTI front disks and callipers 
45mm front lowering springs
1.6 16v VTS engine

What else would you suggest i would need to upgrade to have a good track day, before you say it, no i can't afford a new car!

Regards,

Ben

Welcome to the forum

im sure ive met you before at Combe

imo

-fresh good quality oil - maybe Tim Williams could recomend whats best for your engine must of use shell helix 10-60 but that may not suit yours

-uprated brake fluid to stop yourself getting a spongey peddle i use ate type200 (used to be blue and called ate superblue)

-decent brake pads to stop them fadeing carbotechs are the best if your budget can stretch but there are some other ok cheaper options

-maybe some track day tyres Federal RSR's are fairly cheap but on a light car like yours good quality road tyres should be fine but the less tread the better

-make sure everything else on your car is tip top as it can be with no fluid leaks

see you at Combe

Hi and welcome, fresh decent fluids and some suitable tires and you should have great fun.

Hello mate,

I really cannot think of much apart from the basics.

I would recommend Ferodo ds2500 pads as a suitable upgrade, they're great high performance / fast road pads but give excellent pedal feel and performance when hot, I doubt you'll over heat them as there's not much weight to chuck around (passenger dependant). I use them on the road and all 4 corners was about £150. Brake fluid ATE type200 of Motul RBF600 seem to be popular choices.

A decent 10w40 oil should allow you to manage the oil temp.  Will you install VTS/GTi clocks so you have the oil temp and coolant gauge?  Shell Helix racing or Castrol Magntec are popular choices.

Tyres I would say allow you to have the most fun, if you come on budgets you'll get pissed off with the squealing round corners all day long.  Ideally you'll want semi slicks, Federal RSR and Nankang NS2R's are good budget slicks or go balls out with Toyo R888R's.  Or as tingy said decent road tyres would allow you to have a lot of fun, e.g. Michelin PS2's.

Lastly a selection of awful stickers for added banter, maybe a racing stripe? Big wing?

This should be a great laugh, 3 months to get it all done, just don't forget it must be under something like 102dB!

First track day, keep it simple.. fresh brake fluid, resonable pad depth and be aware of tyre pressures.

Concentrate on lines not speed.

Do sets of 3 or 4 laps and then take a break to check the car over and rehydrate.

Keep a very close eye in your rearview mirror for other participants and the aggressiveness of any invitees in non-Volvos.

I'm taking a year off from driving this year so grab me if you need assistance, or someone to take the piss.

Good point Andy theres normally free instructors floating about do a few sessions to settle everything down and then try and grab one they will make a huge differance to your laps