Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
titaniumtel

Dangerous stalling/stumbling V70 T5

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to sort out a most strange issue which is proving to elude any diagnostic/parts replacement options.

My newly purchased V70 T5 manual which is my dream car starts perfect ,runs smoothly and boosts perfect to 6000 rpm (after warming up of course).After a short blast for approx 5 miles/5 mins the car then stutters ,loses boost with almighty lurching almost like popping a parachute out the back.

This is only rectified by backing off on the throttle with only very light pedal pressure allowing any progress.If the car is nursed along from the outset the car will drive for quite a few more miles but as soon as any traffic in town is encountered and temp goes up it stalls and cuts out.

I have checked all boost hoses,adjusted wastegate settings at 4.4 psi operating pressure as per IPD data.The bcs solenoid is functioning ok.I have changed MAF and MAP ,also FPS fuel pressure sensor.

The fuel pump and filter have also been changed recently.

Fuel runs at 400 kpa /58psi with a 20% duty cycle at tickover except just before a stall where today it fell to 200 kpa 29psi.

The PEM is like new internally and pins are not corroded.

The only codes I am getting now are ecm 290d ,fuel pressure too low ,ecm 2900 faulty signal ,ecm 212c long term trim too high.

I am awaiting another used PEM from Lithuania ! to try.

I have also tried unpugging FPS to run pump at full pressure but this only causes more problems (over fuelling) and risks cat damage .

I am beginning to lose the will to live after one month of testing but its one step forward and two back at the moment.

Being a retired telecoms engineer electronics dont normally phase me but this particular Lady is testing my patience.

Any ideas appreciated.( preferably other than take to Volvo from all the horror stories I have read/I am a pensioner and do not have the lottery money they require)

Regards.  Tel.

Could be crank position sensor mate

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Cheers mate,

Forgot to mention replaced crank sensor and cleaned exhaust vvt solenoid following previous code,now clear.

Tel.

Hello

I have had almost the same symtoms on a 2001 V70 2.4T and it turned out to be a crack in the hose between the plastic pipe and the intercooler.

Cheers

Michael

Check for 8B crimps between the PEM and pump also some people use grease on the O ring on the body of the 34 joint closure and this can hold dirt allowing the ingress of dirt...

The PEM can cause exactly the symptoms you have.

Many thanks for advice so far ,my mission continues and I will be rechecking all wiring for damage/disconnection .

Must admit it looks as if the pem module is favourite but this is arriving hopefully on friday.

I have new o2 sensors on standby but no codes have been thrown and the readings from them seem normal.

I have replaced all plugs with new quality and tested coil packs by interchanging with no proof of any misfire or codes.

The strange thing about volvo diagnostics is that it can lead you down blind alleys and interactions between modules/sensors can sometimes point a false finger of blame at certain components.

I will also have new thermostats ( one at lower operating temp of 87 deg) and coolant temperature sensor on standby for next phase of testing.

If all else fails it only leaves an ecm/ecu which could be breaking down after certain time(hope not) because as I understand it there is no one who can repair test them,unless you know otherwise.?

Cheers all,   Tel.

I had all your symptoms and codes tried a used pem changed the fuel pressure sensor and filter and after 2 months of hell usually when driving steady I investigated the pumps themselves. The sock filter was damaged so I cleaned it out and replaced the sock, still got stalling on the motorway figured the pump was shot. Replaced the whole setup and all was better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Broady,

Will take that onboard and investigate pump when I get a chance.

Have receipt for replacement pump by previous owner but have had my suspicions that something may still not be right.

Thanks again for your advice and if anyone else has any more ideas they will be most welcome.

Tel.

Cheers Broady,
Will take that onboard and investigate pump when I get a chance.
Have receipt for replacement pump by previous owner but have had my suspicions that something may still not be right.
Thanks again for your advice and if anyone else has any more ideas they will be most welcome.
Tel.

I too had receipt for replacement pump although not new. But I suspect by the amount of grit in the tank that they hadn't cleaned off the top of the tank and let all the crap fall in the tank. Because I new it had been changed I initially checked everything else first. Hope you get it sorted mate. I feel your frustrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk