titaniumtel

Volvo refusal to perform a legitimate service function

15 posts in this topic

Heres an interesting thought to ponder for members.

In my search for a solution to various problems I thought I would test the water with my local Volvo main dealer.

My ultimate 'must do' on my checklist if all else fails is a ECM memory erase which has a Volvo software number

8691406. usually priced circa 20 ukp.

Followed by a re-load of original data as a refresh in case of ECM corrupted data. Volvo service operation 36004-2.

The main agent who shall remain nameless for the timebeing outright refused to carry out this operation as he had several cars in his workshop with unkown un-fixable issues and didnt want to create any more.WTF.?

What sort of monster has been created where they cant find solutions to problems like this.?

I have found an independent where the young lady.!!!! receptionist assured me they will perform this service if required but I am still sceptical and think I was just fobbed off with my phone call because when I started mentioning potential ECM corruption of data I think 

talking to the brick wall might have netted more results.

The Saga continues.

What are you trying to do and why? 

No a Volvo Dealer won't "virginise" an ECU for you. There are companies that will do that for the public but if they then reload the original software on to that or another ECU I don't think that's very good. 

Tim,Do you  believe a ECM (ecu) cannot become faulty?

If so what is preferable ,a new unit cost,??????

or attempt to refresh the original in case of data corruption i.e a bad remap which causes misc boost/fuelling problems etc.

Why wont a dealer virginise an ecu ? if so what is the purpose of  a dedicated software listed for this purpose.?

An ECU can go faulty, that's why they supply exchange units. 

You cannot blame Volvo or any of their Dealers for not loading software to an ECU that's been hacked and altered. One person even claimed if his altered ECUs were connected to the Volvo server it would infect the server!

I'm not Volvo so cannot answer on their behalf but for Thatcham approval the ECU must be locked to the car. Unlocking the ECU might be against guidelines. 

Your input appreciated but you still have not answered my question .

Why is there a dedicated Volvo job/part no software 8691406 to perform this very function.

Google it and see for yourself.!

Heres a sub note as this issue has been covered previously on this forum which gives a good explanation for the use of this function.

This procedure was released on TIE a few years ago now. Problem is, just like pyaap said, that you need the car where the ECM is from to "release" the ECM. Its mainly for suspect ECM failures, so dealers can try the unit without committing to it.

posted by Dera, Jan 21, 2013.

Summary, enables a test ECM to be used without commiting the full cost of a new unit.

Your views?

So you have a Remap on the ECU ?, Why don't you get the Remap reloaded  to see if it fixes your problem, who's map is it anyway? .

If Volvo did wipe the ECU and then they couldn't reload the software who would be at fault, You could say to the dealer if they wipe it and can't reload the Volvo software then it's your problem and you  will tow the car away ..Or get them t supply a new unit to fix it.

Just how sure are you , you don't have a sensor fault or the likes.

Edited by Harvey

Thanks for your comments Harvey.

NO I do not have a remap and have no evidence of a remap except for an occasional dtc code ecm 5110 which is lack of communication cem to ecm ,this crops up in other situations .

My vehicle is now clear of this code following replacement of various sensors.

My question was theoretical and would be an issue for anyone who innocently buys a car which has unknown to them been mapped causing various problems.

The only way forward in such a situation without an ecm erase and re load would be to purchase a new virgin ecm and load original data.

The cost of this might tip the balance against the value of the vehicle should the car be getting on in years.

Agreed there could still be a sensor fault but one month down the line with just about every sensor replaced I am beginning wonder.

I guess nobody really wants to pay for a new ecm/ecu only to find that they still have a problem,me included.  

Again I'm not Volvo so I cannot answer on their behalf. 

As far as I know you cannot buy a new ECU, that's why I previously put exchange. 

I do understand them being able to reset for testing but not using the reset for you. 

New............Exchange...........whats the difference?

Both megabucks undoubtedly.

You know about the water ingress issue some cars had around the CEM?.

Harvey,Thanks for pointing that out,yes I am aware of the issue and checked the upper connection pins from the access point under the wipers.

Pins , all connections  dry and pristine.

Sunroof and scuttle drains clear.

Guess its worth a look by dropping the CEM and checking the board.

Thanks for reminding me.

Cheers .

Tel.

For what it's worth, I think there's possibly 2 different issues here which are being conflated - namely the "unlock" and the other being a "reload".

The former, which is what I've previously posted on, is a test procedure for Volvo dealers to use, and the TIE report goes on to mention the procedure to "re-code" the ECU to the car once tests are complete, so I do not believe that a dealer will necessarily want to release the ECU in an "unlocked" state. 

The ECM re-load is a totally separate matter, but I know of several instances where ECMs have crashed during the download, one of my very own spares nearly did a few weeks back.  I can, therefore, perhaps understand the reluctance of any dealership which is aware of the risks, to carry that procedure out if ViDA does not identify that there is an existing ECM update for the car.

Maybe you should give my local dealer a ring. 

They have successfully carried out an ECM reload on my car and a CEM reload in the past without any problems.

The CEM reload has been done twice and now has the lastest software. When doing the reload, they did have to try it several times before it would load fully.

From what I understand, when the CEM software is uploaded to Volvo UK, it is then checked (liasing with Volvo in Sweden) for corrupt software before the new UPDATED software is then uploaded to the Volvo server for the local dealer to download to the car. This process can take several hours, as mine did. 

http://www.lipscomb.co.uk/volvo/contact-us/maidstone-volvo/

Ask to speak with a chap called Mark Reed. He's the Workshop manager and a really nice chap, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Mention me and he will go out his way to help you.

I guess any Dealer is going to want to know 'why?' you want your ECM erased and reprogrammed and understandbly! It's both expensive (if it goes wrong) and time comsuming. 

If you were willing to sign something that states you take full responsibility, should the reload/erase not work, then any Dealer would be willing. IIRC the price for a ECM or CEM reload is £34. 

Edited by Lee[R AWD]

Many thanks Lee,at last a sensible solution which could show the way forward when faced with no other options.

You have proved the 'doubters' that it can be done and shows we do not have to accept the 'Blackmail' of being told

by main agents 'You can only buy a new ecu/ecm and if that doesnt work,tough luck sayounara'

regards.

Tel.