Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rfan

Fuel pump duty cycle too high at idle

44 posts in this topic

Hey peeps,

New to the forum and hoping for some assistance with a technical issue.

Last month I was driving home and the car stalled while in motion, I pulled over and tried to restart but to no avail. The AA also attempted to restart the car but they couldn't either. I was recovered home and for a week I had to use another car.

My boyfriend when he looked at the car during that week was able to start the car immediately strangely, but when he took it for a drive he said that when he really pushed the car it would suddenly drop the revs and almost stall?

He got it hooked up to Vida, it showed steady fuel pressure at 395-405 kpa but the fuel pump duty cycle showed 46% at idle? He said this was wrong and thought a faulty fuel pump.

He changed the fuel pump, the duty cycle dropped slightly to 43% but he said was still too high?

He checked all the fuel lines for kinks, cleaned the injectors, changed the fuel filter, bought another fuel pump module to check that and replaced the fuel pressure regulator. 

He also checked all the coils even though there were no fault codes at all, even for anything fuel related?

Despite all this, the problem remains. My other half is quite handy with our cars, but he is stumped and says he can't really think of anything to check?

So please, if anybody on here has any suggestions or ideas, we would be very grateful.

Thank you all in advance.

Karen

Anybody please?

Is it possible that it's over fuelling from a false airflow or lambada reading? You would probably noticed. Or vacuum in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply, I will show my other half.

A friend of ours recommended this forum as the go-to place for advice about Volvo's, either we have an issue nobody can help with or the natives seem to have left town....

Just out of interest did he change the whole twin pump setup and piping from the tank. I'm sure someone else will be along today. I know when I had fuel pump issues it was hell to diagnose and spent money on things I didn't need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi no he said the transfer pump didn't need replacing as the fuel bucket was full and all the pipework from inside the tank was pulled out and checked and was fine.

His feeling is it maybe a wiring issue, but he can't figure out how or why the fuel pump duty cycle is working so hard at idle.

Well nobody else did come along...

Perhaps us west country gals owning Volvo's is frowned upon on this forum.

Thank you to the one person who replied.

Im sure people are popping in to look but a lot wont be able to help (much like myself) its not something ive come accross

Strange that it seams to die when pushed that to me would rule out overfueling as the cause as when you push you want the pump to be giving you 100% and normally the car would just blow the excess out the exhaust, when it nearly stalls have you checked the plugs? Are they wet? Is it even a petrol? :P

a few bits of info that might help

what year is the car?

petrol or derv?

you have Vida did it give any codes for anything else?

Have you logged anything whilst driving and in particular while its nearly stalling?

I never replied as the OP didn't state which car they are talking about.

First guesses with be cleaning the MAF or trying a different MAF, does it run better with the MAF unplugged, I know this can be the case on a 4.4 car but not sure about a ME7.

Ryan

Edited by s40rch

I guess it's a K24 equipped car with twin VVT. But there's not much point thinking about a problem if 

Wow replies, thank you both very much.

The car is a 2004 blue s60 r petrol.

Hi Ryan, my boyfriend yesterday took the car out and after performing various runs managed to get codes ECM 1300, ECM 130A and ECM 211A. He also said that the car seemed fine and suddenly would stall like fuel starvation and just as quickly be fine again?

The guy with the flashy video attached, thank you, but cryptic messages aren't helpful, humourous or particularly intelligent to females. :rolleyes:

Those codes are MAF related which is what my first suggestion was from your initial fault description (is the connector pushed in securely)?

I would suggest going back to basics and checking all hoses, pipes and vacuum lines for air leaks.

I cannot answer about the fuel pump duty cycle, maybe it runs at this level to create the correct fuel pressure at idle.  That wouldn't surprise me, if you said injector duty cycle then that would be a different story lol.

Tim's video is just his signature, perhaps he can shed some light on those codes :)

Edited by s40rch
broady likes this

22 hours ago, Rfan said:

Perhaps us west country gals owning Volvo's is frowned upon on this forum.

I think you are thinking a little too deeply! Your gender has nothing to do with it as does living in Gloucestershire as I do all be it a little further south.

You will get facts on this forum not random guesses from people who proclaim they know what they are talking about (as on other forums and FB groups).

I was going to suggest Fuel Filter old, blocked or generally knackered, but that tends to be more of a D5 issue

3 hours ago, Rfan said:

The guy with the flashy video attached, thank you, but cryptic messages aren't helpful, humourous or particularly intelligent to females. :rolleyes:

You want to try talking to him and getting an intelligent answer :D

34 minutes ago, Redbrick said:

I think you are thinking a little too deeply! Your gender has nothing to do with it as does living in Gloucestershire as I do all be it a little further south.

You will get facts on this forum not random guesses from people who proclaim they know what they are talking about (as on other forums and FB groups).

Thinking deeply is a common female trait, it's what allows males to survive with just a p*nis and an ego.....

But thank you for the advice :D

Thank you for letting us know what car you have...

if the code reader is also a scanner that can see Live Data make him use it and look at MAF value at idle with no load. It should be 12-18 kg per hour. Next look at ignition advance under the same condition, this should be 6-12 degrees Before Top Dead Centre. Doing those will help identify possible air leaks that cause MAF codes. 

Are you a good baker?

12 minutes ago, Tim Williams said:

if the code reader is also a scanner that can see Live Data make him use it and look at MAF value at idle with no load. It should be 12-18 kg per hour. Next look at ignition advance under the same condition, this should be 6-12 degrees Before Top Dead Centre. Doing those will help identify possible air leaks that cause MAF codes. 

Are you a good baker?

Thank you flashy video guy. I will relay that to him.

And yes I am!

Have you seen anyone for your limited wit.....:rolleyes:

No wit, it's no laughing matter. Trying to get decent cakes can be very hard, once I got a cake with carrots in it, carrots in a cake:(.

Wit or no. He has probably forgotten more about turbo charged Volvo's than most ever knew. Including you & you mechanically minded boyfriend or you wouldn't be asking for his & our help.

Drop the chip off your shoulder. It's grating.

It was a poorly phrased OP. If you want to get the best out of this, or any other decent forum, then lay out the pertinent info, ask nicely for help and try to resist the  temptation to throw your toys out of the pram at the first hint of apathy. Most of us have real lives to get on with, so responses can be slow.

My personal experience of this forum re: detailed technical problem solving has been invaluable, including our man of dubious wit. ( he loves to get a rise - like how I tied that in with the baking Tim?)

Good luck with the car. But please give up on the feminazi bullshit. All are welcome here - apart from stupid folk :) 

Edit: Carrot cake is the cake of the devil. Welsh cakes are the way forward. I'll post you some Tim. 

Morgan

Edited by shinsplintz 101
Terrible grammer

8 minutes ago, shinsplintz 101 said:

Wit or no. He has probably forgotten more about turbo charged Volvo's than most ever knew. Including you & you mechanically minded boyfriend or you wouldn't be asking for his & our help.

Drop the chip off your shoulder. It's grating.

It was a poorly phrased OP. If you want to get the best out of this, or any other decent forum, then lay out the pertinent info, ask nicely for help and try to resist the  temptation to throw your toys out of the pram at the first hint of apathy. Most of us have real lives to get on with, so responses can be slow.

My personal experience of this forum re: detailed technical problem solving has been invaluable, including our man of dubious wit. ( he loves to get a rise - like how I tied that in with the baking Tim?)

Good luck with the car. But please give up on the feminazi bullshit. All are welcome here - apart from stupid folk :) 

Edit: Carrot cake is the cake of the devil. Welsh cakes are the way forward. I'll post you some Tim. 

Morgan

Lol, tough day at work I assume...

No, I'm on my holidays. :shrug:

21 minutes ago, Tim Williams said:

No wit, it's no laughing matter. Trying to get decent cakes can be very hard, once I got a cake with carrots in it, carrots in a cake:(.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome is the world's number 2 health problem...

:lol:

True. But his car runs.....

...however he does eat a lot of protein. Food for thought...

1 hour ago, Tim Williams said:

Are you a good baker?

Levity aside, other half said maf reading was around 13 and ignition angle was 12-18 so he said a smoke test?