Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rfan

Fuel pump duty cycle too high at idle

44 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, shinsplintz 101 said:

True. But his car runs.....

...however he does eat a lot of protein. Food for thought...

No offence intended, I appreciate the help and advice but also enjoy a bit o banta :angel:

Karen, no offence taken. Most folk on here have a pretty thick skin & also like to take the piss. So no harm, no foul imo.

My earlier post was just aimed at pointing you in the best direction for getting yourself the information you require to help you solve the issues with your car, without alienating the most knowledgeable members of the forum inadvertently.

Again, good luck with the car. Best bet would be to try & book it in with Tim - perhaps bake him a cake as an olive branch :lol: He's by far and away the best bet for getting your R back to full health.

All the best, Morgan 

54 minutes ago, shinsplintz 101 said:

Again, good luck with the car. Best bet would be to try & book it in with Tim - perhaps bake him a cake as an olive branch :lol: He's by far and away the best bet for getting your R back to full health.

All the best, Morgan 

Or bake him a cake with Olives in.....

shinsplintz 101 likes this

10 hours ago, Rfan said:

Levity aside, other half said maf reading was around 13 and ignition angle was 12-18 so he said a smoke test?

That gives an indication that the one way valves are good and there isn't a leak (Leaks are also not suitable in cakes) after the throttle plate. The intercooler inlet hose is a common one to split then on its bottom. The main intercooler can also split but that should show up with a low MAF reading, a split intercooler will show some oil at the bottom of the rad pack.

If you suspect a genuinely faulty MAF then as a rough guide under load you can divide it's KGH by 3 and that will give you BHP, you should reach a peak of about 850-880 with a standard R.

Edited by Tim Williams

44 minutes ago, Tim Williams said:

That gives an indication that the one way valves are good and there isn't a leak (Leaks are also not suitable in cakes) after the throttle plate. The intercooler inlet hose is a common one to split then on its bottom. The main intercooler can also split but that should show up with a low MAF reading, a split intercooler will show some oil at the bottom of the rad pack.

If you suspect a genuinely faulty MAF then as a rough guide under load you can divide it's KGH by 3 and that will give you BHP, you should reach a peak of about 850-880 with a standard R.

Hi thank you for that, the other half is going to change the maf, he said do you have any idea as to why the fuel pump duty cycle is so high at idle? 

I agree with your comment that leaks are not suitable in cakes, nor is venison, its too deer.....:rolleyes:

I'd imagine if you have unmetered air due to a split hose(or a faulty maf) then the car will run lean & when the O2 sensor detects this the ECU will push more fuel to bring the AFRs to within set parameters. So it's running the pump atm higher duty cycle to keep up.

Just a guess mind - but hopefully an educated one.  Tim or another mechanical guru can confirm. Or shoot me down in flames.

Edited by shinsplintz 101

21 hours ago, Rfan said:

The guy with the flashy video attached, thank you, but cryptic messages aren't helpful, humourous or particularly intelligent to females. :rolleyes:

'The guy with the flashy video' probably knows more about Volvo's than everybody else put together on here.....😂😂

Tim is the man to sort your issues.

7 hours ago, shinsplintz 101 said:

Thank you Morgan, I am cautiously taking it to be smoke tested tomorrow so hopefully that will show something.

Edited by Rfan

8 hours ago, Tim Williams said:

Don't know if this pic will help any.:dontknow:

One day you're the best thing since sliced bread, next, you're toast.........

car56.jpg

Thank you for letting us know what car you have...

if the code reader is also a scanner that can see Live Data make him use it and look at MAF value at idle with no load. It should be 12-18 kg per hour. Next look at ignition advance under the same condition, this should be 6-12 degrees Before Top Dead Centre. Doing those will help identify possible air leaks that cause MAF codes. 

Are you a good baker?

Sorry to butt in but this thread got me checking my car out as I get a maf low code 120D I think

My flow is 9.2-10.2kg/h at tickover
Ignition angle 10-15 btdc
Says leakage air through throttle blade 3.6

Mine is an 05 2.4t5

Am I likely pipes or etm

Cheers James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Rfan said:

Don't know if this pic will help any.:dontknow:

One day you're the best thing since sliced bread, next, you're toast.........

car56.jpg

I'll double check the fuel pump duty cycle on an R later, I don't think its that high. Whilst playing it could help to look at the inlet and exhaust cam adaption.

I checked the fuel pump duty cycle at idle and it was 37-38% on a good condition R. Yours isn't too bad. 

1 hour ago, Tim Williams said:

I checked the fuel pump duty cycle at idle and it was 37-38% on a good condition R. Yours isn't too bad. 

Thank you, thats at least one thing ruled out. A cake waiting for you flashy video man, no vegetables in it, not sure about eating it tho.....:crazy:

The smoke test showed no leaks, so not sure where to go with this now. He changed the maf yesterday for a new one and has driven the car again today, there are no new codes and so far, the issue hasn't occurred again, so possibly it is solved? Would anyone know if a faulty maf could have caused the initial problem? Ie the car just stalling and not restarting? 

1 hour ago, Rfan said:

Thank you, thats at least one thing ruled out. A cake waiting for you flashy video man, no vegetables in it, not sure about eating it tho.....:crazy:

The smoke test showed no leaks, so not sure where to go with this now. He changed the maf yesterday for a new one and has driven the car again today, there are no new codes and so far, the issue hasn't occurred again, so possibly it is solved? Would anyone know if a faulty maf could have caused the initial problem? Ie the car just stalling and not restarting? 

Yes and yes. 

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, s40rch said:

I never replied as the OP didn't state which car they are talking about.

First guesses with be cleaning the MAF or trying a different MAF, does it run better with the MAF unplugged, I know this can be the case on a 4.4 car but not sure about a ME7.

Ryan

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:49 AM, Rfan said:

He changed the maf yesterday for a new one and has driven the car again today, there are no new codes and so far, the issue hasn't occurred again, so possibly it is solved? Would anyone know if a faulty maf could have caused the initial problem? Ie the car just stalling and not restarting? 

Sounds like a winner :crazy: I don't need cake though, that's just Tim!

On 10/04/2017 at 9:49 AM, s40rch said:

Sounds like a winner :crazy: I don't need cake though, that's just Tim!

Ah yours was just a guess, mine was an educated guess so I get cake:wub:

On 4/12/2017 at 6:42 PM, Tim Williams said:

Ah yours was just a guess, mine was an educated guess so I get cake:wub:

I think you should both get cake....

Thank you

5 hours ago, Rfan said:

I think you should both get cake....

Thank you

Thank you, I have Ryan's car so if you send his cake to me I'll leave it in his car😂

I'm not sure what's worse, you eating cake in my CLEAN car or leaving a cake in my car!