Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stinkypepper

New v70 T5 owner

3 posts in this topic

Morning all,

I have been a member of the volvoforums.org.uk since getting my 850 but now I have finally got myself A P2 V70 T5 auto.

With a more limited budget than I was hoping for I have not been able to buy the perfect cart I was hoping for (new baby on the way) but I am very keen to get my new toy looking good and running perfectly as quickly as possible.

It does have a couple of small cosmetic issues and it has been used a bit of a workhorse (running furniture and antiques to and from Scandinavia with its previous owner for 6 years) but more importantly now I have a few bits that need sorting. But bear in mind I got this little gem for a mere £175.00 so I am expecting to spend £1000 easily to get it sorted and into shape.

Firstly The gearbox is Clunking and I have the gearbox warning light on but seems to be changing smoothly once in gear.

The car is holding back hugely so I dont really have any power but I am not sure if this is linked to the gearbox fault or many of the symptoms feel like a ETM failing but I am going to get the codes read on thursday and also try cleaning it.

I have a suspension knock (not worried about this at all as its will just be a case of seeing what is worn excessively and getting the spanners out.

But I also have the abs service message up but I need to check the drive shaft bolts first. If this is the case that one or more has worn loose do I just delete the fault code and hope it does not re appear, if its not that what would be my next port of call?

I will post issues and how I resolved them in the relevant forums to help others like me... no vast mechanical knowledge but very keen to do as much work as I can myself and to learn along the way.

Thanks for all you help and advice in advance everyone 

£175 for a p2 v70 t5? Im picturing a complete dog of a car now

welcome to the forum

Step 1 with gearbox do a complete flush with fresh proper spec fluid - the boxs are very fussy of incorrect fluid when i do mine i always use genuine fluid as its a lot cheaper then a new box

after thats done see how its behaving and go from there

codes are definietly the best course of action with a proper code reader not an aftermarket jobby the codes should help a lot with any running issues and point to the abs fault if its one wheel specifically then check the sensor and plug, reluctor ring and driveshaft bolt are all good if its not one of those then it gets more complicated

welcome and ditto to what Tingy said