Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StuT5D5

2008 S60 T5 brakes

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

i've been trawling various forums for the past couple of days trying to find an answer.

i've previously had 5 phase 1 S60/V70/C70 T5's, but having recently acquired a 2008 2.4 T5, i am a little confused on the brakes.

i believe that the previous owner replaced discs and pads in 2016, but think they went budget as the invoice for them was cheap as chips, and wondering if the 316mm they fitted are not the original intended size. When do a big stop, i find a slight brake wobble through the steering wheel. I've rotated wheels from front to rear, so fairly sure its the brakes. i'll be pulling the discs and pads off at the weekend and will give them and the hub a good clean.

in the meantime i'm costing out replacement parts in, so i can upgrade them at the same time.

i measured the discs yesterday, and they appear to be 316mm.

i'm debating on whether to stick to the 316mm, find the 320mm, or try the 336mm.

the caliper on my car is very similar/identical to the one i had on a 2006 D5 185 XC90 a few years back. there appears to be a bit of debate over whether the xc90 discs and pads will fit the t5 caliper with just the xc90 caliper carrier fitted, or if a new XC90 caliper is needed too. If the latter, i'll just go with the 320/316mm replacement. i'd obviously prefer the bigger/better option, but want to keep costs sensible whilst also keeping with volvo parts. 

i will also be flushing brake fluid, and may get some stainless hoses too for the front.

finally, do the plod pads fit the 316mm and 320mm? i'm not worried about overhang or extra dusting as long as they work.

wheel wise, i'm running 18" bbs nebulas so should have plenty of clearance.

thanks in advance.

one final thing, the car has 4c suspension which i am about to recalibrate through vida as it feels a bit too wallowy in comfort mode, so hoping a reset might improve things.

Welcome along.

I too have a facelift P2 2.4 T5, mines a V70. From what I understand the 316mm disc is standard on the facelift  T5s & the calipers are identical to the 336mm set up on an XC90. You just need the larger discs & carriers.

The earlier P2 T5s had 305mm set up with a 320mm upgrade. I believe the calipers are different from the xc90 but the larger set up can be grafted on by drilling out the steering limiter arm accept 14mm bolts & you'll need calipers, carriers & discs, and probably new longer flex hose to the calipers from the brake hard line.

Have a read through this, it should answer most of your questions. He's a member on here too.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?59244-Fitting-XC90-Calipers-amp-336mm-Discs-to-S60-V70

If your on the original 4c suspension it'll almost certainly need refreshing at nearly 9 years old, especially if your over 100k. It'll be past it's best. Buy monroe shocks, they're the OE manufacturer. I've done my fronts & rears are next up once Tim gets back from the ring (when he starts picking up the phone again lol). Your looking at £350/corner for shocks, springs & sundries. Plus fitting.

HTH, all the best, Morgan

Edited by shinsplintz 101
StuT5D5 likes this

18 hours ago, shinsplintz 101 said:

Welcome along.

I too have a facelift P2 2.4 T5, mines a V70. From what I understand the 316mm disc is standard on the facelift  T5s & the calipers are identical to the 336mm set up on an XC90. You just need the larger discs & carriers.

The earlier P2 T5s had 305mm set up with a 320mm upgrade. I believe the calipers are different from the xc90 but the larger set up can be grafted on by drilling out the steering limiter arm accept 14mm bolts & you'll need calipers, carriers & discs, and probably new longer flex hose to the calipers from the brake hard line.

Have a read through this, it should answer most of your questions. He's a member on here too.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?59244-Fitting-XC90-Calipers-amp-336mm-Discs-to-S60-V70

If your on the original 4c suspension it'll almost certainly need refreshing at nearly 9 years old, especially if your over 100k. It'll be past it's best. Buy monroe shocks, they're the OE manufacturer. I've done my fronts & rears are next up once Tim gets back from the ring (when he starts picking up the phone again lol). Your looking at £350/corner for shocks, springs & sundries. Plus fitting.

HTH, all the best, Morgan

thanks for the reply Morgan. i've ordered the 316mm setup. i'll have to have a look at the new shocks and springs with i get a bit of money back. the previous owner replaces a shock last year - volvo invoice for £450 ish, but then a back street garage did the labour, as it was the same time as they changed the discs and pads, which makes me think they never re calibrated it. i'll give that a go, then see if i need to change any of the others.

Best to so them in pairs of you can. Don't forget the springs, old springs will be super soft.

11 hours ago, shinsplintz 101 said:

Best to so them in pairs of you can. Don't forget the springs, old springs will be super soft.

thanks for the tip. 

i noted that one of the rears looks a bit worse for wear. i'll have to wait a month or 2 for more funds before i sort that.

just seen that i can get 2 x Monroe rear 4C shocks for £400, and 2 x rear springs for £94. 

not as bad as i was fearing when i first saw the invoice for 1 front shock at £450 ish.

The Monroe stuff is approx 30% of what Volvo want for the same item, made in the same factory, sometimes less if you shop around.

Cheapest I've found for the rears is £375 delivered a pair, then as you've said, springs for just shy of £100 a pair, then any other sundries plus fitting.

Found this link for the Rs, but can't imagine the 4c set up on the FWD at the rears is any different - sure somebody will chip in if I'm wrong. 

http://v70r.com/forums/topic/38201-diy-guide-to-replacing-4c-rear-struts/

Cheers, Morgan

StuT5D5 likes this

I have the same 316mm setup on mine. I've been researching a lot about upgrading to the Brembos from the R or the 336mm, but I think that I'll stick with the 316mm setup. I want to keep the Orestes without spacers. I'll get new Volvo rotors (apparently are quite good) and Carbotech XP12 pads (front and rear). 

all cured. new volvo 316mm discs/pads on front, and new volvo pads on the rear, along with wire brushing calipers, sliders and rear discs, and greasing sliders. Also wire brushed all faces of hub and wheel hub. feels perfect now. also fully flushed brake fluid. 100 miles in, and it now bites brilliantly when the brakes are deployed. i stuck with the 316mm as i didn't fancy spending out on XC90 carriers which are fairly pricey, and i was a bit worried about needing xc90 calipers as i read that the xc90 discs and pads are a couple of mm wider than the 316mm discs/pads. 

after spending £1k on an audi s6 to porsche cayenne (brembo 6 pot) 2 years ago, and all the hassle that involved, i chickened out and stuck with the standard.

ended up buying from Caffyns Volvo via ebay - they were about £20 cheaper than other dealers i tried, and had everything in stock for next day delivery

the 4C suspension also felt a bit wallowey and unstable when i first bought it, and didn't give confidence when motoring down a  bumpy b road. Noted that 1 front 4C shock was replaced last year at a small backstreet garage, with no evidence to say it had been calibrated. i reset via vida, and now feels great.

Ric@rdo likes this