stevieduk1

which is best, front wheel or all wheel drive

6 posts in this topic

Hi, after a big ish accident in my 850 R ,( it wasnt my fault, honest ) and the insurance condemning it as the airbags had gone off, I have finally got the payment from the insurance, and am looking for another one. I want another 850R, but have seen a couple of all wheel drive ,  V70 Rs.

So I would value members opinions on 2 things,    1, I have read that the V70 does not handle as well as the 850 , is this true,  and 2 , would I be buying extra trouble if I got a all wheel drive V70r.

I have a reasonable amount of insurance money to spend and it will get me a nice car if i am carefull  

Thats potentially a fairly wide spread of cars to which shape V70R are you referring P1 or P2?

the P2 4WD set up is good if working and maintained properly something that can be a fairly expensive task so try to ensure the one you get is at least working

Again P2 V70 im not sure about handling tbh i would assume the 850 to be better as its lighter but the 850 cant fit as wide of tyres and has a narrower rear track (good or bad thing? Not sure it certainly makes it fun though) but DSTC on a P2 really allows you to take some liberties (as anyone who saw my D5 at Combe particularly in the wet can verify)

ok thankyou. its a p2. its apparently all working and looks in good nick but its your expensive to maintain bit that would prob put me off.

I was wondering if the 4 wheel drive system could take all the power. sometimes carmakers add these gizmos but dont make gearboxes strong enough to take it

Maybe I will just search for another nice 850 R. I really miss mine

Perhaps my phrasing isnt correct im not sure they are super expensive to actually maintain just that it adds an additional cost that a 2WD doesnt have so by comparison its expensive

well we will see, I will let fate decide, I wont have the money for another 3 weeks , so if its still available then, maybe its meant to be. its a stunning colour tho

Most newly purchased S60 or V70Rs cost about 3-4k to address the existing failures so that everything  works as it should. Springs, shocks, bushes and mounts,wishbones, possible clutch and imminent anglegear and a couple of suspension sensors.

If the above work at the point of sale great, it will give time to save for when they do need changing. They are very nice and competent cars to drive when fresh but when tired or with lowering springs they are one of the worst Volvos ever to drive.