Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr Foster

New member with ex-plod 850 T5 Estate!

7 posts in this topic

My name is Gary and I'm based in the Black Country and have owned my 850 for about 6 months now. I always wanted a T5 and finally took the plunge.

It's a polar white 1996 850 T5 estate, ex-Cumbria Police unmarked motorway car. I got it for decent money but is a definite work in progress. I'm quite handy on the spanners and do most of my own work. So far I've -

Replaced the front headlights, mopped the paintwork, replaced the rear springs, top mounts, shocks, delta link bushes, boot struts, front struts, top mount bearings and spring seats and also refurbed the alloy wheels.

I'd stick some pics up but I'm on my phone and have no idea how to put pics on a forum with my phone....and the only way I know on a laptop is photobucket.

It will be nice to learn more etc

Welcome along, sounds like your well on your way to getting your bus into fine fettle......if you haven't done it yet, or you've got no evidence of it being done by the last owner, then a stage zero (essentially a very comprehensive service of the ignition system & turbo pipe work plus a few other odds &sods) should be high on your priority list. Google it. Don't forget the TCV (bcs-same thing)- if it's original it'll be well past it's best.

The 850s are a great old bus & with the right mods can be deceptively quick, even round a corner if set up right. Problem is, it's a slippery slope when you get started, as most on here have experienced  :lol:

If you download the photo bucket app to your phone you'll be able to link photos just like you do on the laptop.

All the best, Morgan

That's looking like its coming along nicely, credit to your for investing the time and effort.  These old Volvo's still go seriously well this day and age and will no doubt continue to outlast the modern rubbish provided they are not neglected.

That's one of the neatest 1996 T5 I've seen!

Edited by migz02

Thanks for the replies. Still stuck with the ABS issue sent the module off to a fella named Rob Fittall who I've heard a lot of good things about. Fingers crossed, he can sort it.

I'm impressed with how solid it is. The odometer has packed up but I know that's common and will be adressed as soon as I sort some of the more pressing issues out.

Good to see another T5 being looked after too many of em just getting scrapped now, keep us updated on any progress