brens-s80
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts
  • Car: S80 (Saloon P1)
  • County: Non UK Member
  • Town: Ireland

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:42

hi all,

I have an ongoing intermittent problem with the Volvo guard alarm fitted to a 1997 S70. The alarm goes off for no obvious reason and resetting it from the keyfob may cure the problem for a few hours or even days. There is no pattern to its madness and once it even went off while i was looking at it from the house so this may rule out external influences.

How can i go about troubleshooting this problem ( eg disable the Ultra sonic section for a while to see if that is the problem area before moving onto say the door/boot sensors ) or indeed disable the alarm at night times , so the neighbours gets some sleep ?

TIA

brendan
Why not check out my Web Site:

http://web.mac.com/odonnellbrendan

#2 PNuT

PNuT
  • Full Members
  • 668 posts
  • Car: V70 (Estate P1)
  • County: Suffolk
  • Town: RedLodge

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:56

hi all,

I have an ongoing intermittent problem with the Volvo guard alarm fitted to a 1997 S70. The alarm goes off for no obvious reason and resetting it from the keyfob may cure the problem for a few hours or even days. There is no pattern to its madness and once it even went off while i was looking at it from the house so this may rule out external influences.

How can i go about troubleshooting this problem ( eg disable the Ultra sonic section for a while to see if that is the problem area before moving onto say the door/boot sensors ) or indeed disable the alarm at night times , so the neighbours gets some sleep ?

TIA

brendan

check for living creatures in the car first....

the sensors can be disabled, tells you how in the manual

#3 Lord B

Lord B
  • Super Moderator
  • 7,672 posts
  • County: Kent

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:02

Its a well reported problem on the x70 series that leaving anything metalic in the ash tray or section below can trigger alarm, the coin holder is fine cos its rubber, but IIRC alam uses Microwaves so metalic objects in that area (poss sensor is located nearby) cause nusiance tripping of alarm

HTH

Ben

I have to be nice, or Mrs Goggins will beat me with a big stick

#4 Rufe

Rufe
  • Full Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:Swansea City AFC. Welsh Football & Rugby. Poker. Cars.
    Find me on Twitter: @simonhurf
  • Car: C70 (Hardtop)
  • County: Wales (South)
  • Town: Swansea

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:06

yip lord B is correct, dont leave any coins or anything at all metallic in the area behind the coin holder (oddly enough the coin holder itself is fine to leave coins in)

also, the sirens have had problems too, and door switches also could be the reason (part of lock unit). as allways though the first thing to eliminate is the easiest, so remove anything from that tray

"If VOLVO is Your Drug... I am Your Dealer!"
Genuine Volvo Parts With Discount, Without Leaving Your House!
NEWBANNERanim.gif

<<< FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PHONE DIRECT: 01792 790066 or 01792 784272 >>>
* YOU MUST QUOTE 'C3' WHEN CALLING FOR THE BEST PRICES! (weekdays 9am to 5pm) *
*** To read our FRF VOLVO FAQ's please click HERE....... ***
* The Only Full Time Online Volvo Main Dealer Parts Person. Simon *

fb3.jpg

Please consider taking a moment to CLICK HERE & visit my charity fundraising page !

#5 brens-s80

brens-s80
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:24

hi and thanks

I've check the car for any unwanted free loaders before but found no evidence of any. I just tried disabling the internal sensors as per the owners manual ( press lock switch to lock for 3 or more seconds , doors should lock and then unlock ) , but doors dont lock/unlock , odd or a sign of a problem ?Posted Image.

The only thing in the ashtray was one of those micro-fibre cleaning cloths which i have removed to a side pocket and we'll see how it goes .

thanks again for the quick replies

brendan

yip lord B is correct, dont leave any coins or anything at all metallic in the area behind the coin holder (oddly enough the coin holder itself is fine to leave coins in)

also, the sirens have had problems too, and door switches also could be the reason (part of lock unit). as allways though the first thing to eliminate is the easiest, so remove anything from that tray

#6 PNuT

PNuT
  • Full Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 13:08

are the indicators flashing when you arm the alarm? give the bonnet a slam & the boot :rolleyes:

#7 brens-s80

brens-s80
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 13:37

hi PNut,

yes the indicators flash alright and the boot and bonnet seem fine, though just to be sure I have slam'd them. Where are the sensors located for the boot and bonnet do you know ?.

thanks again

brendan

are the indicators flashing when you arm the alarm? give the bonnet a slam & the boot :rolleyes:

#8 PNuT

PNuT
  • Full Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 13:51

the bonnet sensor is inside the nearside bonnet catch, you should have a couple of wires running from it... the boot i believe uses the 3 copper coloured electrodes next to the locking mechinism if that makes sense

if the lights are flashing when you arm the alarm then the bonnet & boot will be shut so that shouldnt be a problem

its weird that the internal sensors wouldnt disarm, you did have all the doors shut windows closed etc when you tried? also i think the keys have to be out the ignition.... or in a certain position

#9 Lord B

Lord B
  • Super Moderator
  • 7,672 posts
  • County: Kent

Posted 09 July 2008 - 14:08

another thing to check is that boot light comes on when opened and off when you close.

when alam has triggered, have a look through the windows to see if either of the front footwell lights are on, or the red maker lights on the back doors (you will see red glow at side of seat back), if so then whichever on is on that door lock is iffy.

but keys, coins etc in front are most likely suspects, also check for old coke cans etc under front seats, or anything else metalic.

ben

I have to be nice, or Mrs Goggins will beat me with a big stick

#10 V70D5

V70D5
  • Super Moderator
  • 4,394 posts
  • Car: Other Brand
  • County: Dumfriesshire
  • Town: Jocksville

Posted 09 July 2008 - 18:10

I had the same problems with my P1. The new(ish) police radio system causes no end of trouble here, it may be something that you can't do anything about. The alarm going off at all hours of the night becomes very un-funny indeed!
It's big, it's black and it's shiny! :D

#11 brens-s80

brens-s80
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 22:37

hi all,

just thought i'd let you know that having moved the items from the ashtray the alarm has not gone off one.

many thanks

brendan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users