Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s40rch

AEM water meth injection leaking nozzle issue

10 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right area but I think this should be pinned for general knowledge due to the seriousness of this faulty product.

Last year in September I purchased a brand new AEM WMI kit part number 30-3302.  The kit has been faultless up until recently and has been a major improvement in the running of my car.

The issue arose in May, 8 months after purchasing the kit. It was at the Nurburgring where I had some strange behaviour where the WMI didn't seem to be having much of an effect and didn't consume even half of what I expected it to.

Upon arriving home I took the nozzle off and cleaned the filter, after doing so it made a huge difference but something still wasn't right, the system didn't always seem to inject and not only that the fluid would leak through the nozzle assembly while the car wasn't running, it actually caused a the car to hydro lock or run incredibly rich after leaving over night, so much so it consumed a whole tank in a couple of days which would usually last a few months.  It wasn't until Andy sent me these images highlighting a small purple o ring which was supposed to be inside the assembly (where the pipe connects) had seemed to of slipped through the assembly and was just sat in front of the filter, this meant that the nozzle no longer acted like a check valve or non return valve but allowing the fluid to leak though the assembly, this also meant that the system wasn't primed ready for when the fluid was requested.  This explained my running issues but shockingly there was nothing showing the correct assembly of the check valve/nozzle online until I came across a service bulletin outlining a known fault with the nozzles in the past, assuming mine was ok now assembled correctly I left it alone.

This weekend while mapping with Tim we were having some rather strange readings from the ARF gauge and knock sensors, the car didn't seem to be consistent while working on the ignition and fuel maps, when we tested the WMI again we found the system had no fluid primed, we immediately took the nozzle off to find that yet again the little purple O ring had slipped out of its assembly and was just sat beneath the filter.  It was 100% clear then that something wasn't right with this nozzle so we immediately replaced it for a brand new one.  This solved the problem so we finished mapping the car in no time at all, of course with great results.

After speaking with Andy again it would appear this is a reoccurring issue with his nozzle too, it wouldn't surprise me many more of us have faulty check valves causing no end of odd running issues.  I have since contacted the dealer which I purchased my kit from and they're sending me a new nozzle no questions asked, I can only assume that AEM are well aware of this issue occurring after a period of time and giving dealers spare nozzle in case anyone complains. Although my car is ok now, it could in the future cause serious damage to any one of our cars, I would probably recommend replacing this nozzle once a year, although mine has only lasted 8 months before causing issues.

I guess some of you have kits which are out of warranty but should really be getting the nozzles replaced free of charge given the known issue which I don't think is a one off.

AEM Technical Service Bulletin
http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/tsb/Water_Meth_Nozzle/WM_TSB_AEM-2012-001RevA.pdf

Correct assembly images - note the o ring sat recessed on the sprung loaded plastic component and not the filter side of the nozzle.
48422BF6-7F9B-47B0-B011-464D079F0445_zps

2C33F26E-4DA5-409D-BBB7-A31596431CF7_zps

I hope this information is found useful to others who are having running issues when using WMI.

Cheers, Ryan.

Edited by s40rch

Is ur car all done now m8 ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That is useful info just for my own interest could you put more detail on the pics is the gold bit on the left the filter/nozzle assembly your talking about? If you still have this one appart can you take a pic through the end of it to where the washer ends up

tbh if i start to experience these issues id be more inclined to switch to a differant nozzle rather then replaceing the AEM one that has the potential to go defective again afaik there are 3 brands of nozzle Aquamist, Devils Own and AEM so which one do we think builds decent nozzles if AEM dont

Edited by tingy

I gave up with both Devils Own and AEM nozzles ages back - have been running an Aquamist jet since and not had any issues with it.

AEM have so far not replied to my Email explaining my hydrolocking issue in Ashford before the 2016 Ring trip. This has caused me issues for literally years! I park up and restart the next day, as soon as I set off the AFR's drop to sub 8 as the meth that has dripped through overnight is ingested. 

Aidan the issue is with the smaller purple O ring in the first picture coming off its spigot. This then floats behind the mesh filter assembly in the second picture. This means the nozzle doesn't seal and meth can drip through.   

I remember your issues i also remember your car spluttering into life on 3/4 cylinders and smokeing out a petrol station if all these issues are down to the nozzle i might just swap mine out pre-emptively

The lower image shows the correct order in an exploded version. If your o ring is still sat in its home position then I wouldn't bother but I think we need to get a spare each. I'll contact the dealer I used about ordering a few up once this one arrives tomorrow! Or perhaps go down Ashok's route of aquamist. I'm still shocked about the lack of info online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As i said if the aquamist nozzle will fit the boss on my intake pipe then i would rather one of those over a replacement AEM one

Ashok do you know if the thread is the same?

4 hours ago, tingy said:

As i said if the aquamist nozzle will fit the boss on my intake pipe then i would rather one of those over a replacement AEM one

Ashok do you know if the thread is the same?

Is the nozzle orifice size selection the same?  I believe we all run 500CC, also is there a check valve rated at 15psi in the nozzle?

The Aquamist jets are 1/8 NPT thread pitch - the AEM is very similar if not identical.  The Aquamist jet, hands-down, has a better spread pattern when compared to both AEM and Devils Own jets.

The Aquamist nozzle selection is based on the port diameter - I run a 0.8mm jet with is around 400cc/min with a 150psi pump.  The have jet sizes up to 1.2mm and below is the flow-chart taken off their website.

Aquamist also do jets with inbuilt check valves but I prefer to buy the check valve separately - that way you have the option to change just the valve if it fails.  The other benefit with Aquamist jets is you can clean them out; it's a bit fiddly but possible.  It's probably best to run an inline filter though so that the jet does not block up.

jetrate-nc-bg4.gif