adieu

Oil consumption

33 posts in this topic

When reading oil pressure on Vida you get "yes" or "no". It will just tell you what the light shows as the engine only has an on off switch. 

You can read oil level. 

adieu likes this

Coming a bit late to this thread and I know my lowly '05 V70 has a fairly vanilla 2.5T but I'm still running the Volvo recommended 0w-30. Car currently has 125700 miles. Reading the comments regarding higher mileages should I be looking at changing the grade? Previous owner had it serviced yearly and always used Castrol 0w30 apart from the service before I got it when Shell 5w30 was used. I changed back to 0w30 for the last service 2k miles ago.

I ask because I got the low oil warning on Friday and was very surprised to have to top up so soon after a service.

A good quality 10w40 for a standard car with regular changes.  Once you start fiddling with them and pushing the car harder then a 10w60 is recommended on this forum.

So thinner oils in higher mileage cars should be avoided? No plans to fiddle with it at the moment but I do have a fairly heavy right foot.

The engine will have an amount of wear at millage with your oil, the thicker oil will slow the rate of wear.  Continuing to run a thin oil just means that the engine will expire sooner.

Thank you.

Never actually done an oil change before but I've been thinking of giving it a go. Seems sooner rather than later would be a good idea.

In that case have fun fishing the sump plug out of the oil pan/bucket :lol:

adieu likes this

Oh that'll be the least of my problems. When it comes to working on cars I have form. Can't help myself though... :o