Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edde

s60 d5 - the work so far...

14 posts in this topic

Well, three years have been and gone since i took ownership of the car and various things have been done in the interim but I haven't updated this lot.  So to spice up your weekend and answer all the questions and queries you never had, here is the story so far!

Here is a quick breakdown of what it was like before courtesy of my old old old project thread I can't update haha, bad signs.

Since then there has been quite a bit of work done, nothing ultimately ground breaking but moving in the right direction.

- New alarm siren fitted due to knackered battery.

- New car battery, I went with a varta one and can't fault it, the original was well past it and now I can happily leave it a week or so and it starts right up.

- Replaced all tyres with Goodyear Eagle F1's which were a huge improvement over the p6000's.

- Cambelt and tensioner change, along with the water pump.

- Usual servicing.

- Fitted a replacement passenger rear door to lose the dent, gained a few more scratches but its all better in relative terms.

- Fitted a Grom Usb2 box, which to be fair isn't the most reliable bit of kit on the market but hey ho.

- Fitted a new washer pump, scored a Febi Biltstein one off ebay for less than a tenner, which was nice as the genuine Volvo one was £55 quid with discount!

- Upgraded the front brakes to 305mm spec (thanks Tingy for the advice!) with OE pads and discs. 

- New goodridge lines and a fresh bleed courtesy of Tony and the guys at Kings Volvo Westbury whom I thoroughly recommend, excellent service.

- Meyle HD front droplinks.

After a once over from the guys at Kings it turns out I need to sort out the rear discs and pads too, along with the usual collection of engine mounts which will be done in due course.  I've been advised the rear ARB bushes have developed a little play also, so I'm currently trying to figure out prices for fixing that, though the solutions range from replacement bushes from Latvia for £20 or so, to the entire assembly from Volvo for £190, or going completely to the deep end and getting IPD ARB's from Don, decisions decisions.

Other than that the car was given a surprisingly clean bill of health.

And now some pictures of a manky EGR mixer pipe, which was oddly satisfying to clean once it was all said and done. During however, I was a rather miserable mucky pup, and was in a bit of trouble for ruining the marigolds.

It is particularly filthy as some idiot had left the jubilee clips loose and spewed the gunk everywhere for many miles.  The car felt much improved once everything was nipped up properly.

20161021_113614.jpg

20161021_113617.jpg

20161021_115048.jpg

And here it is after a can of carb cleaner and lots of kitchen roll

20161021_131639.jpg

It's 2008 all over again, because someone upgraded their 286mm rotors to T5 spec!.  Now I know I could have gone the XC90 route, or even plod spec 316/320mm discs, but I wanted to swap the rotors and discs myself to save a few pennies and learn more about the car.  My confidence doesn't quite stretch to drilling out the knuckle or fitting the new caliper so i stuck with something a bit simpler and to be fair, cheaper.  That being said, with new lines and fluid I'm enjoying the upgrade and once I sort the rears I'm sure that will improve things more so.

Yukky rubbish old discs and pads 

20170530_155011.jpg

20170530_154956.jpg

New discs and pads, sliders cleaned and greased.  The spring did make it back on though, after my little photoshoot

20170530_154941.jpg

And the finished article, the wheel nut is missing as I removed the McGuard locking nuts after seeing a few horror stories, and I've since replaced the whole lot as a few were a tad rounded.  But look, slightly bigger brakes, my masculinity and virility have been enhanced ten fold, I am now a real man.

20170530_202857.jpg

And lastly, a very poor attempt at being artistic with the camera, but hey you can see no giant dents on the door!

20170530_202922.jpg

20170530_202942.jpg

It is satisfying sprucing up your own car, especially when it sounds like it's done you well for the last 3 years. It looks lovely and shiny by the way. You should of maybe put a lick of paint on the callipers whilst they were off.

IMG_3143.thumb.JPG.7ea2a16246b2016c9307b0c7120a5202.JPG

£7 a can from Halfords, looks much better to me.

edde likes this

Thanks for the kind words, funny you say that as i was a gnats hair from doing so, even held said can in halfords but impatience got the better of me lol. If i had such lovely condition alloys i might be tempted, but no amount of caliper paint will detract from their awful condition.

Unfortunately sorting the brakes took far longer than anticipated, broken locking wheel nuts slowed me down, as well as wrong parts being sent which naturally i only noticed mid job... and the correct parts taking a while to arrive with the bank holiday. Joy of joys.

I almost forgot to include changing the power steering fluid to some lovely new green stuff, and fitting some osram bulbs which i think were a good improvement over the standard ones.  

Presents turned up today, now to find the time now to go outside and swear at inanimate objects for being smarter than me, odds on for it being the retaining springs.

IMG_20170613_160500.jpg

IMG_20170613_160509.jpg

Got the old engine mount out and the new one in, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not it needed replacing.

IMG_20170614_182525.jpg

Nice update fella - made me chuckle - although I am relieved you didn't go oTT with the hit of testosterone after your brakes win & start splashing on go faster stripes or a big shiny Zorst....:pmsl:

If your doing the rear brakes, might as well do the handbrake cables (as their likely to be stretched if original) and stick in the adjustment thingymabob that will allow better handbrake....adjustment....:blink:

Good luck. I watched Tim do my rear brakes & there was hardly any swearing!

Cheers, Morgan

edde likes this

Thanks Morgan, I was going to show off the new exhaust and stripes but i feel too shamed to do so.  I'll also stop removing my tops and tucking them in my belt loops the moment it goes above 17 degrees out, too much braking power is a dangerous thing.

Anyway, I also whipped off the old gearbox mount today which was fun as it was caked in lush egr gack. After turning the driveway black with brake cleaner and kitchen towels its looking a bit better.

So heres the gacky ol crap and then new. 

Also swapped over the steering stops and bunged in a few washers, as well as my new boot struts.

You also see the new drop links and brake lines, or not, if you scroll really quickly. 

20170615_171025-614x819.jpg

20170615_163333-614x819.jpg

Apologies for the piece meal posting but I'm having trouble with the site 

20170615_163339-614x819.jpg

20170615_163354-819x614.jpg

20170615_164437-614x819.jpg

20170615_165039-614x819.jpg

So i used the following to give it a very quick wash. Ideally it needs a proper detailing but i lack motivation, inclination, dedication and other words ending in ation.  Feel free to add your own suggestions.

20170615_195145-614x819.jpg

20170615_205606-614x819.jpg

Agreed with Morgan on the handbrake shoe adjusters, a must have!  Look forward to seeing the updates, good to see another forum member nearby!

Ryan

edde likes this

Well its all back together after fitting the rear discs, pads and shoes etc. What fun that was... dear lord those springs, talk about fiddly and fragile.

It was a good job i did too, one side looked fine and made me wonder why Tony advised changing them but when i got to the other there was hugely uneven pad wear, delamination and crumbling of the friction material, eek. I think that might have been what he was on about haha. 

Pedal feel is much improved with the new pads, now just to bed them in. The new engine and gearbox mount have really improved overall ride quality and the smoothness of gear change, all in all I'm quite chuffed.  Now to source some vac engine mounts, hose and ship it off to Kings to fit them.

Thanks for the suggestions for the handbrake adjuster, I seem to have a fair bit of adjustment left in the adjuster thing by the handbrake, I think new shoes and discs took up some slack. If i start running out I'll give it a look :)