Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Urban Tiger

Couple of brake questions

25 posts in this topic

OK I'm planning on overhauling the braking system soon and have a couple of questions:

I will be using genuine volvo discs on all four corners but wondered if the vented rear discs from a P1 V70R AWD would fit my car - P1 S70 FWD T5. I know it will make sod all difference tbh but would be nice having vented discs on all 4 corners.

Regarding pads - I use the car everyday, mainly on motorways/A roads so I want a pad that works well from cold. I've had a couple of months with the standard volvo pad and they've worked quite well but fade fairly quickly when pushed hard. Are the plod spec volvo pads any better both in terms of working from cold and fade resistance?

What brake fluid should I go for? Tempted to get a decent branded dot 5.1

I will also be upgrading the brake lines to the Goodridge stainless steel ones - has anyone had any problems with fitting these?

Please don't try and tempt me with a BBK. I can't afford one <_< and I find the 302mm set-up to be adequate for my needs.

DOT 5.1 used to be very hydroscopic and we had to change it quite often on the Rally cars - I believe the silicone based ones are better now - someone (like Tim) will have more info.

As regarding vented rears - they were only fitted to my model (Phase III 1999/2000) and have similar calipers to the front set up ie single piston sliding calipers so you would need these as well. I have done about 35K in my car since I got it and the rears have not been touched. I had them apart last week to adjust handbrake and the pads are not even half worn. So TBH I wouldn`t bother as 80 odd % of braking is done by the front anyway.

Goodridge are usually very good - one for one swap.

The rear discs/pads will only be available from Volvo as well (I did have prices from Rufe a couple of weeks ago-but didn`t need to buy them after checking.

I used Mobil RBF600 - its a Dot 4, but the ratings Dot3,Dot4, Dot 5.1 are a bit confusing as they are minimum standards so a Dot4 can be far better than a Dot 5.1

people just assume that the higher the Dot Number the better the fluid

http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/pdfs/brake-flui...00_TDS_(GB).pdf

http://www.k300performance.co.uk/ate-super...brake-fluid.php

MINIMAL boiling points for these specifications are as follows:

Boiling Point Ranges

--------Dry Boiling Point -------Wet Boiling Point

DOT 3 205

DOT 5.1 used to be very hydroscopic and we had to change it quite often on the Rally cars - I believe the silicone based ones are better now - someone (like Tim) will have more info.

As regarding vented rears - they were only fitted to my model (Phase III 1999/2000) and have similar calipers to the front set up ie single piston sliding calipers so you would need these as well. I have done about 35K in my car since I got it and the rears have not been touched. I had them apart last week to adjust handbrake and the pads are not even half worn. So TBH I wouldn`t bother as 80 odd % of braking is done by the front anyway.

The rear discs/pads will only be available from Volvo as well (I did have prices from Rufe a couple of weeks ago-but didn`t need to buy them after checking)

Thanks Fletch. Standard solid discs it is then. I know the rears don't do a lot of work - I'm still on a set of ferodo pads which I fitted when I was working in Peterborough - over 3 years/ 40K miles ago. The front ferodo pads were changed at about 30K so they lasted quite well.

I really don't like the design of the sliding calipers (takes longer to change pads as well), the brakes on the 240GLT were a much better design IMO.

, the brakes on the 240GLT were a much better design IMO.

DANS300.jpg

Just toss out of window, and let it dig into tarmac :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used Mobil RBF600 - its a Dot 4, but the ratings Dot3,Dot4, Dot 5.1 are a bit confusing as they are minimum standards so a Dot4 can be far better than a Dot 5.1

people just assume that the higher the Dot Number the better the fluid

http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/pdfs/brake-flui...00_TDS_(GB).pdf

http://www.k300performance.co.uk/ate-super...brake-fluid.php

MINIMAL boiling points for these specifications are as follows:

Boiling Point Ranges

--------Dry Boiling Point -------Wet Boiling Point

DOT 3 205

OK I'm planning on overhauling the braking system soon and have a couple of questions:

I will be using genuine volvo discs on all four corners but wondered if the vented rear discs from a P1 V70R AWD would fit my car - P1 S70 FWD T5. I know it will make sod all difference tbh but would be nice having vented discs on all 4 corners.

Regarding pads - I use the car everyday, mainly on motorways/A roads so I want a pad that works well from cold. I've had a couple of months with the standard volvo pad and they've worked quite well but fade fairly quickly when pushed hard. Are the plod spec volvo pads any better both in terms of working from cold and fade resistance?

What brake fluid should I go for? Tempted to get a decent branded dot 5.1

I will also be upgrading the brake lines to the Goodridge stainless steel ones - has anyone had any problems with fitting these?

Please don't try and tempt me with a BBK. I can't afford one <_< and I find the 302mm set-up to be adequate for my needs.

Hi ac

I recently fitted the goodridge hoses to my 850 and they are a straight swap, very easy to do, the only problem i had was with the drivers side rear being quite difficult to undo. Just make sure you use a proper brake pipe spanner as makes undoing the bolts much much easier. IIRC they are 11mm

As for brake fluid i went for the ATE Super Racing Blue which is a silicone based fluid, works very well and isn't very expensive either

Edited by Colin850

Hi ac

I recently fitted the goodridge hoses to my 850 and they are a straight swap, very easy to do, the only problem i had was with the drivers side rear being quite difficult to undo. Just make sure you use a proper brake pipe spanner as makes undoing the bolts much much easier. IIRC they are 11mm

As for brake fluid i went for the ATE Super Racing Blue which is a silicone based fluid, works very well and isn't very expensive either

Where do the Goodridge hoses fit on the rear, as I have piping right up the the caliper, with only a very short section of rubber hose in the middle of the axle, right underneath the car. Do they replace the metal pipe as well as the rubber bits, or just the rubber bits?

Where do the Goodridge hoses fit on the rear, as I have piping right up the the caliper, with only a very short section of rubber hose in the middle of the axle, right underneath the car. Do they replace the metal pipe as well as the rubber bits, or just the rubber bits?

From the description of the kit it sounds like it just replaces all the rubber lines - which kinda makes sense to me - not much point replacing hard lines with stainless steel flexi's.

I will confirm when the kit arrives (ordered it this lunchtime).

Edited by acshortt5

There are two rubber hoses at the back, one in the middle of the axle and iirc the other one is closer to the rear passenger side caliper. These are the bits that the goodridge hoses replace, they dont replace any of the existing metal pipes

On an S70 you can have 4 or 5 flexi hoses. As already stated if doing it yourself buy an 11mm brake pipe spanner before starting.

The C70 kit contains 5 hoses. I'm sure Tim remembers how much fun he had doing mine LOL

Another vote for the RBF600. Mine came from partsforsaabs iirc, was the cheapest I found it.

Edited by Nunchukhamster

On an S70 you can have 4 or 5 flexi hoses. As already stated if doing it yourself buy an 11mm brake pipe spanner before starting.

Hi Tim, thanks for the advice.

I may ask you to do it as I have no experience with refurbing calipers.

How much would you charge for changing all 4 discs & pads, refurbing all 4 calipers, installing the goodridge lines and flushing through new brake fluid if I supplied all the bits (and helped out of course if you wanted). I've ordered the goodridge lines and fluid but don't know whether you can get the volvo discs and pads cheaper than me (when I say me I mean via Simon @ FRF)?

Hi Tim, thanks for the advice.

I may ask you to do it as I have no experience with refurbing calipers.

How much would you charge for changing all 4 discs & pads, refurbing all 4 calipers, installing the goodridge lines and flushing through new brake fluid if I supplied all the bits (and helped out of course if you wanted). I've ordered the goodridge lines and fluid but don't know whether you can get the volvo discs and pads cheaper than me (when I say me I mean via Simon @ FRF)?

When a price is agreed DO NOT forget the additional cost of cake :lol:

Best thing for the refurb is get hold of a spare pair of front calipers and send them to Tim in advance, that way he can strip, clean, paint and re-assemble them in advance. There should be a spare pair of calipers floating around somewhere from when I bought pair so he could do mine. Try asking T5-Andy if he still has them.

When a price is agreed DO NOT forget the additional cost of cake :lol:

When i was there on monday i had a box of double deckers in the car and he only took 1 saying he is on a

*shudder*

diet

Might be a good time to get him to do work as ACC (additional cake cost) should be minimal

diet???? Thank you aiden, that just provides me with more ammunition...

When i was there on monday i had a box of double deckers in the car and he only took 1 saying he is on a

*shudder*

diet

Might be a good time to get him to do work as ACC (additional cake cost) should be minimal

I was trying to be polite, you still took the other bloody 47 away with you :angry:

diet???? Thank you aiden, that just provides me with more ammunition...

Do you eat ammunition :P

If anyone was wanting to fit the larger Classic phase III discs you will need the dust shields as well,

Gary

I was trying to be polite, you still took the other bloody 47 away with you :angry:

well after u mentioned the D word i didnt want to get in trouble with your wife :sorry:

btw they taste gooooooooood :D

Just wanted to confirm that I have now managed to source a spare set of front calipers - which should arrive in the near future - so I will be having a go at refurbing them (I need to learn how to do it and its a more relaxing experience being able to sort it while I can still use the car).

Once I'm happy with them I can just swap the calipers over when I do the discs & pads and will also end up with a complete spare set so I can refurb my old ones and swap them onto dads car if/when necessary.

My mum is now taking the piss out of me and I quote "you could build a whole other car with all the parts in your bedroom" thing is she's not wrong but tbh it's nothing new. There are more parts on the way that she doesn't know about (yet) as well.

Hi,

The rear vented braks from a 2000 V70r AWD will not bolt on to a FWD s/v/c70 car.

I tryed this, the bolt holes are not in the same place and the hand brake diamater is not the same or the the disk offset.

Would not be inposible but you would have to make lots of bits.

Regards Rogerb